Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking to see if anyone has any favorite OBD scanner apps that work with Android?

I've been using Torque and OBDLink (Scantool) with my Bluetooth scanner.

They both work very well, and I like that they have somewhat customizable dashboards.

I recently downloaded DashCommand, and I really like the look of it. The dashboard screens are more visually appealing than what Torque or OBDLink offer. The information is basically the same, however.

A quick search of OBD in the play store turns up numerous results. I haven't tried them all, and doubt that I ever will. I was wondering what apps others have tried, and what your thoughts on them where?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought of another app I tried a while back. It was called Car Guage Lite, there is also the paid version Car Guage Pro. Seem to remember it having a terrible user interface, but it was able to check ABS codes, at least on a Chevy Avalanche it did, if I remember correctly. It did something with the ABS.

·
Admin
3,392 Posts
For our trucks, I've found torque with the Nissan adv plug in to be the best if you have an 08+.

If you have an 07 or lower, car gauge pro also allows mini tuning features such as idle adjustment and timing adjustment.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I have Torque Pro with the Nissan plug-in as well. I like the UI of it. It seems to read the sensors fairly quickly to. I also tried Car Gauge Pro a couple years ago strictly for the "mini tuning" feature. The developer said they were going to update it so as to be able to use it on the later model Frontiers. I kept it for about a year in hopes they would come through, they never did though. So, I got rid of it. And, you're right, it had a TERRIBLE user interface. I remember messing around with it one day & all of a sudden my ABS system started making noises, then my ABS light came on. I thought to myself, "ooohhh [email protected]*t". After going through every screen I could find I finally figured out that I somehow sent a command to test my ABS pump. Yeah, the truck didn't like that. Luckily I also had torque & was able to clear it out & its been fine ever since.
Hey, Bojib. Does the Torque app & the OBDLink app read the sensors pretty closely? For example, if the Torque app reads your coolant at 187* does the OBDLink app read the same thing? How about on the rest of the sensors? Just kinda curious as to just how accurate the readings Im getting from Torque actually are. And, does anyone happen to know if any of the other OBD apps read our oil pressure?? If I can find an app that reads it that would be awesome!

·
Admin
3,392 Posts
^ Unfortunately Oil Pressure has been as elusive for me as Transmission Temperature using an OBDII ELM device. I don't particularly know of any app that reads it for our trucks.

Oil Temperature is available with the Nissan plug in for Torque, but you probably already found that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, Bojib. Does the Torque app & the OBDLink app read the sensors pretty closely? For example, if the Torque app reads your coolant at 187* does the OBDLink app read the same thing? How about on the rest of the sensors? Just kinda curious as to just how accurate the readings Im getting from Torque actually are.

They read the same on both apps.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
^ Unfortunately Oil Pressure has been as elusive for me as Transmission Temperature using an OBDII ELM device. I don't particularly know of any app that reads it for our trucks.

Oil Temperature is available with the Nissan plug in for Torque, but you probably already found that.

Yeah, I found the oil temp readout & have been using it as part of my main screen along with coolant temp, AFR, Ign Timing, & a couple others. Ive been thinking of installing an oil pressure gauge, but thought if one of the other OBDII apps that are similar to Torque had it then, obviously, that would be the easier route. Oh well. Looks like I'll start looking into getting me a game plan together for an actual oil pressure gauge again. Thanks for the reply!

They read the same on both apps.

Ok, that's kinda what I was thinking, but ya don't know unless ya ask. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
529 Posts
This is running on my Nexus 7 The little divot on top of the steering wheel column holds the tablet in place perfectly. As others have mentioned there is no PID for oil pressure. Not sure about transmission temps but I have read around that you can download an app from Nissan that installs other PID's and it may pick up the trans temp but I was just using this to test in my Nissan for another vehicle I am doing an LS swap so I was just trying to figure out if I wanted to swap new gauges in or attempt a digital dash. I'm still up in the air because of the fuel gauge and oil pressure, lol.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
^ Yep, that's the same blue-tooth dongle I use while running Torque Pro on my Samsung Note 5. I was pretty impressed at how the lag time between when you do something & when it shows up on the UI is but just a split second of a difference especially for how cheap it was.

I do think, however, the extra Nissan PIDs you're talking about aren't actually from Nissan itself, but rather from a developer like the guy that created the Torque app. I know 'Advanced Ex for Nissans' is a plug-in for Torque that's made by a developer & is geared specifically for many different models of Nissans. And, (if I remember correctly) that same developer also has other plug-ins for different makes such as Renault, Chrysler, Fiat, & several others. I could be wrong though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts