Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Person,
I hope you get wicked bad halitosis every day for the rest of your life.
MFG,
Randy Gerbil

To anyone else,
My truck is a bit rusty and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the spare tire hoist. It seems there's two nuts welded to the hoist frame which is secured in place by two bolts which come in from the top through a frame cross member. However, I have enough rust that I can not get a hold on the bolts to turn them.

I don't see anything in the service manual and I'm stumped. I'm open for suggestions. Short of Thermite, I mean.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Have you tried lifting the bed. Though I have not done so with this current truck, I have with others and it is not that difficult. Removal all bolts from one side. Loosen so only a few threads are left on the other side. Lift and prop up with a 2x4 or 2. Gaining access to the bolts.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
The good news: I have never had a flat tire. The bad news: I have never lowered my spare tire. It could be rusted in like Randy's. I have a project to do.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Sounds like you want to remove the hoist, just cut the bolts off

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Have you tried lifting the bed. Though I have not done so with this current truck, I have with others and it is not that difficult.
This appears to the best path to take. At first i was a little freaked out by your suggestion. After all, the bed is pretty big and probably difficult to remove.

Spoiler alert: a few minutes searching the sight reveals the bed is held on by six bolts and a few ancillary fasteners around the gas cap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The good news: I have never had a flat tire. The bad news: I have never lowered my spare tire. It could be rusted in like Randy's. I have a project to do.
I’ve had a few flats but never with any of my pickups. Heck, until now I’d never lowered a spare in 25+ years of pickup ownership. Who knows if the previous owner ever lowered this one. It was stuck good and took a fair amount of force.

I think removing the wheel is going to be a part of my maintenance routine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I practiced using the jack as well as cranking down the spare. It's not something I want to learn on the side of the road in the rain.
This. As I mentioned above, in 25+ years of pickup I had never tried to lower a spare and I am glad I didn’t need to do this in the rain or snow. The hoist mechanism was seized, the wheel was stuck to the thing that holds it to the chain, and, the sidewall has a massive dent in it. You can imagine how rusted the wheel is.

I feel pretty silly typing this in as a grown *** man who’s usually prepared for emergencies but here goes.

Lessons learned:
  • make checking your spare a regular item in your maintenance schedule
  • lower it and remove it from the hoist
  • lubricate the chain and hoist mechanism (search for dry lubricants)
  • inspect the wheel and the tire for any issues
Maybe this will help someone in future when they search the site.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you want to remove the hoist, just cut the bolts off
Not enough room. It looks like they put the hoist onto the frame then attach the bed. One might be able to reach in there with a hack saw but I think @Nissan4Life is correct that I’ll have to pull the bed and then cut out the bolts.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,549 Posts
The bed tilt method used for fuel pump R&R may allow room to access that hoist.
It can be done solo but it's easier to tilt with a helper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts