Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 2019 Frontier (auto tranny), I was thinking on doing a drain-n-fill using Amsoil synthetic tyrannt fluid just to get synthetic fluid in it.

I noticed the Nissan owner's manual says to not use anything but genuine Nissan fluid, and if using something other than their fluid to not mix

But, Amsoil says their tranny fluid will mix just fine... so has anybody done this and it worked out OK?

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
For my 2019 Frontier (auto tranny), I was thinking on doing a drain-n-fill using Amsoil synthetic tyrannt fluid just to get synthetic fluid in it.

I noticed the Nissan owner's manual says to not use anything but genuine Nissan fluid, and if using something other than their fluid to not mix

But, Amsoil says their tranny fluid will mix just fine... so has anybody done this and it worked out OK?
Will they guarantee it if it fails? A trans cost about $6000, your call.

Clint

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amsoil says their fluid meets or exceeds OE fluid requirements and is probably better fluid.

Besides, it may not be legal for a manufacturer to require their product to be used to retain warranty rights.

I've been hearing about legal problems for manufacturers to disallow warranty rights when aftermarket parts are used.

The user manual does not specify whether the OE fluid is synthetic or not, so it's it's not then using synthetic is a step up in quality

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

There is already synthetic from the factory, fyi. I have done a few drain and fills with Valvoline Maxlife Full Syn. with good results. I did the first at 60K and was suprised at how clean the fluid was. How many miles on yours?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure it's synthetic from the factory ?

The owner's manual does not say anything about the tranny fluid being synthetic (that should be a selling point)

Mine is still low mileage and the only reason I was considering drain n fill was to start using synthetic

I'm planning on doing the same with the power steering fluid since synthetic is better

·
Registered
2019 CC SV 4X4
58 Posts
Amsoil says their fluid meets or exceeds OE fluid requirements and is probably better fluid.

Besides, it may not be legal for a manufacturer to require their product to be used to retain warranty rights.

I've been hearing about legal problems for manufacturers to disallow warranty rights when aftermarket parts are used.

The user manual does not specify whether the OE fluid is synthetic or not, so it's it's not then using synthetic is a step up in quality
That's one thing that the Manguson-Moss act addresses. If a manufacturer requires certain parts and or fluids to be used during routine maintenance for warranty purposes they have to supply those things for free for the life of the warranty.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Are you sure it's synthetic from the factory ?

The owner's manual does not say anything about the tranny fluid being synthetic (that should be a selling point)

Mine is still low mileage and the only reason I was considering drain n fill was to start using synthetic

I'm planning on doing the same with the power steering fluid since synthetic is better

Reactions: Skinny06

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the owners manual says is use matic s. It doesn't say if it's synthetic or not.
Yes it’s synthetic
Thanks for the link... but this doesn't prove that Nissan's tranny fluid is synthetic or not.

More speculation about this can be seen at:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, with my 5-Speed Automatic (RWD)... when draining and refilling, anybody know how many quarts ?

I won't change the filter till I get up to 40k or 50k (yes, I like to do it early)

For now, I'm just wanting to drain and re-fill with Amsoil tranny fluid for right now

That's one thing that the Manguson-Moss act addresses. If a manufacturer requires certain parts and or fluids to be used during routine maintenance for warranty purposes they have to supply those things for free for the life of the warranty.
They won't provide free tranny fluid so using Amsoil should not void the warranty.

So, what is the engine / tranny warranty anyway?
3 year / 36k miles er something?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I buy nissan trans oil on line, can save 30 to 40%. It's affordable, and if there's a warranty issue, the receipt is the proof that I did perform all scheduled maintenance. My Frontiers have never had a mechanical failure. But, wifes 2010 Altima did, and the dealer did not care whether I did the maintenance in my garage, or Joe's auto did the work. He divided the cars mileage, and number of oil changes with the receipts. Said your records are great. Here's a loaner, we'll call when the new motors installed!! Chrysler was never that easy! So I don't drive Mopar anymore!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
ive personally been using amsoil transmission fluids for years with no issues and great results.

i do beat on my vehicles rather hard. multiple over 200k.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive personally been using amsoil transmission fluids for years with no issues and great results.

i do beat on my vehicles rather hard. multiple over 200k.
All the more reason to use Amsoil... I've had great results using Amsoil for years myself across several vehicles

In the early 90s I was a delivery driver for a while for a company that used Amsoil products in their Dodge pickups with Cummins turbo diesel engines with over 300k and they let me read the current oil analysis which stated NO detection of bearing wear

That's when I realized Am soil was some good stuff....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinkin Amsoil is better stuff that the Nissan stuff that is in it now....

One I get up to around 40K, I'll pull the pan and install a new tranny filer.

These tranny's do have serviceable filters, right?

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
There is no filter to change, it’s a screen and if you have a trans service done by the dealer they don’t change it.
You’re most welcome to do as you wish but we’ve been here for a long time and know what’s good or not, what’s worth it or not as well.
As for a drain and fill it’s between 4-5 quarts so drain your pan and measure what you have in the pan and put that amount back in.
If Nissans fluid want any good, there would be massive failures from using it.

Clint

Reactions: Gdubz

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There doesn't have to be a bunch of failures for there to be other products that are better than what Nissan is using and it doesn't mean what they have is not any good... but, there's usually other products that are better than what any OE manufacturer is using.

I appreciate the input but with a lot of years of auto repair experience I've learned that it pays for me to use superior quality parts on my vehicles. I get it that not everyone sees it that way, so everyone is going to do whatever they want on their vehicles.

I like how the old Amalie Oil commercials used to put it... "Better than it has to be"

So, if anybody wins the power ball lottery, they can hire a lab to to a head to head competitive comparison between Nissan's tranny fluid versus Amsoil's tranny fluid 😎

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another trick to do is place magnets around the oil filter and put one on the bottom of the tranny pan too.

It's interesting to do a little research and see how this is very helpful for long term reliability of one's engine and tranny

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
It's all good... I can afford the good stuff!
Fortunately I can too and still see zero value in doing so. You’d be better off investing your extra money in a place that will reap financial benefits.

Clint

Reactions: Krons and cuda383
1 - 20 of 32 Posts