Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have everything done. Replaced factory speakers, using factory headunit. Added single 12" sub. I been trying to fine tune the stereo. I found a decent spot and the sub hits pretty good. I'm thinking the sub can hit alittle better though. Seems like the sub maxs out on certain songs.

I have the gain & bass boost as high as it can be on the amp without getting distorted when stereo is up to voulume 25 or so.

I have my line out converter gain all the way up on left & right screws. I figured so i can control it more at the amp.

Do you think I will get more bass/quaility turning the gain down on the line out converter and more on the amp? or is that going to be the same thing how i have it now-amp & converter maxed out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
-Kicker 2008 ZX200.2 Amplifier-200 watts in bridge mode
-Kicker Comp Subwoofer 12" C12-300 watts peak, 150 rms

Where should the LOC (line out converter) be set to?

On the amp-

-Low pass filter- on or off?
-High pass filter- on or off?
-Xcover set to off, low, or high?
-Xcover if on where should be set to?
-Bass boost be set, 0-18 db?
-Gain be set to ?

Tryin to get the most bass. Hit hard and clean without distortion.

Thanks!

Currently;

-I have the LOC set to 75% left & right knob.

For the Amp;

-Have the High pass filter on
-Xcover set to off
-Xcover feq. on 0
-Bass boost set to 15 db
-Gain set to the first mark, so probably 25%.

That seems to be the cleanest hitting bass without it distorted. It thumps enough. Cant expect much for 200 watts or whatever i guess.

Anyone else recommends a different setting let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Where should the LOC (line out converter) be set to? 50% to 70% max

On the amp-

-Low pass filter- on or off? ON.
-High pass filter- on or off? OFF.
-Xcover set to off, low, or high? LO
-Xcover if on where should be set to? 100hz
-Bass boost be set, 0-18 db? 0-6 db max
-Gain be set to ? 50-70% max

Tryin to get the most bass. Hit hard and clean without distortion.
answers above in bold

The key is to control distortion throughout the system. A-->B-->C

A is your head unit. if you distort bass here, the rest of the system will amplify the distortion! so make sure your bass isnt maxed out there. its best to set this as low as possible and let the amp do the work.

B is your LOC. too much gain leads to distortion, which will funnel down the system. start at 50% and move on

C is your amp. lots of opportunity for distortion here. too much gain = distortion. start at 50%. too much bass boost = distortion. start at +3, and go no higher than +9.

none of the knobs on the amp or LOC are volume knobs. They serve specific purposes of adjusting the levels. the only volume knob is on your head unit.

again, most of this is covered in the owners manual, which you can download here:
http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/2008 ZX 150 200 250-2 d01 web.pdf

i hope your expectations arent too high. with that equipment, you will get a little bit of bass, but it wont be earth shattering. so dont push it too hard. if you want more bass, youll need a better woofer and more power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try those settings. I know my setup I have isn't very powerful, just trying to get the most out of it. Plus i had bigger systems in the past and don't wanna lose my hearing lol. Thanks for the help and being very specific, and your time. Helps a lot!

·
Registered
63 Posts
answers above in bold

The key is to control distortion throughout the system. A-->B-->C

A is your head unit. if you distort bass here, the rest of the system will amplify the distortion! so make sure your bass isnt maxed out there. its best to set this as low as possible and let the amp do the work.

B is your LOC. too much gain leads to distortion, which will funnel down the system. start at 50% and move on

C is your amp. lots of opportunity for distortion here. too much gain = distortion. start at 50%. too much bass boost = distortion. start at +3, and go no higher than +9.

none of the knobs on the amp or LOC are volume knobs. They serve specific purposes of adjusting the levels. the only volume knob is on your head unit.

again, most of this is covered in the owners manual, which you can download here:
http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/2008 ZX 150 200 250-2 d01 web.pdf

i hope your expectations arent too high. with that equipment, you will get a little bit of bass, but it wont be earth shattering. so dont push it too hard. if you want more bass, youll need a better woofer and more power.
:goodjob: Glad to see people who know their stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I want to keep the stock HU I have a se w/ th simple radio and cd player not the Rockford stereo and I want to hook up my amp since the stock radios don't have the preamp inputs

·
Registered
16 Posts
i want to hook up my amp to the stock head unit. my head unit is the simple cd player stereo for the 2010 frontier se and i got the LOC so that i can hook my amp up just need help on which wires to connect the LOC's wires to

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
how do I connect a LOC is there a factory amp connected to the stock HU or is it in the HU itself
the line out converter should tap into the rear speaker wires. the plain jane radio is internally amped, so the most logical place to tap is right behind it in the main harness in the dash.

again, it should be covered in the owners manual, which is that piece of paper that you may have mistaken for packing materials.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the thing is that there was no owners manual for the LOC there's five wires im guessing two for the left speakers and two for the right speakers and the 5th wire to the amp? or to the blue remote wire ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
so the ground wire for the LOC i can just ground it?
then when i set up my amp i just wire it normally connecting the rca's into the LOC

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
so the ground wire for the LOC i can just ground it?
then when i set up my amp i just wire it normally connecting the rca's into the LOC
yeah. a ground is a ground is a ground. as long as it is a secure, well connected ground you wont have any problems with noise. just make sure you ground it to the body and clean the paint off the contact point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts