Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Ammo Can Storage

9K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Brunosplace 
#1 · (Edited)
Decided I wanted a storage spot in the bed that didn't take up all the space that a toolbox does. I had a few ammo cans laying around that should do the trick nicely. I also did not want to permanently modify the truck or damage it, so these racks are made to utilize the Utilitrack system in the bed.

The hinge and hasp are placed on the inside of the framework, and the metal is drilled and tapped for #10-24 screws to hold them in place. This way they are replaceable if damaged, and the screws are inaccessible if the cans are in the rack.

First prototype.

Second rack, for a larger single can. A few design changes were done. However the hinge and hasp setup are the same.

Once I am done with the fab work, they will be sandblasted, painted with POR-15, then coated in spray-on bed-liner. Right now there is a bit of a gap from the rack frame to the cans, it will be taken up by the bed-liner coating in the end. I will be using the uni-strut fasteners from Home Depot to attach the racks to the utilitracks.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the appreciative comments on my project. Hopefully i will be able to finish it this soon, been to busy to do anything all week. I will post more pictures as I finish them up.

#8 · (Edited)
A little more work done tonight. Test fitted in the bed of the truck. Should be able to start painting them in a day or two.

When bolting them into place a 1/4 spacer will be required on top of the floor rail since it is slightly recessed below the floor level. A 1 1/4 long bolt is used to get through the washers, rack, spacer, and into the spring nut. Be warned that a 1 1/2 inch long bolt will bottom out and damage the track. I used 1 inch long bolts for the bed wall rail since i didn't have the added thickness of the spacer.

#10 · (Edited)
Using channel spring nuts to mount to the utilitrack.

For the floor channel the spring on them needs to be trimmed to about half length (the channels along the bed sides are deeper, so trimming the spring isn't necessary), and I used needle nose pliers to bend the cut tip up so that it didn't gouge into the tracks.

Place the spring side into the track, they are radiused on two corners so they will turn into the track and they will be self holding while the bolts are threaded into them and tightened.

Since the hinges and hasp are being mounted backwards (screws coming in from the backside), I chamferred the backside of them so the screws will sit flush.

#14 · (Edited)
I'd be interested in acquiring one of those.

Hell, anyone who wants a secondary battery could use a mount like that as well.
I will have to see how many hours I have in them, it may scare us all as far as cost!! LOL ::smile::

Got the first coat of POR-15 (semi-gloss black) on them tonight. Second coat tomorrow, since it is drying painfully slow.......

#21 ·
Love the idea and the look. Would definitely be down for buying one or two of these setups if you ever felt like selling. Being able to mount a Jerry Can would also be a huge plus.

Again, awesome work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.