Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going in my 03 fronteir in my sig.

thinking about running clarion 4 channel amp mids and highs
kicker 1500.1 w/ 15''L7

Yellow top optima under hood 2nd yellow top if needed
Do i need to run a dual battary set up?

stinger cap not sure what farad. thinking of 15 farad hybrid.
What size cap?

Can the stock alternator keep this charged?
What is the size of the stock alternator?
If i end up having to get a alternator what brand and where do i order?
I went with a mean green (i think it was a mean green not sure) a few years ago in my s-10

Thanks
Brock

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
a second battery would help you, or a single large battery from kinetik or powermaster would save some space. optimas are good, but not great.

caps are a waste. spend this money on an alternator, or a battery. either choice will benefit you more than a cap.

stock alternator is probably around 60a/80a. ohms law states that amps x voltage = watts. so 60a x 14.4v = 864w in a perfect world. you should consider upgrading.

4x4parts has some bolt ons if thats your speed
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/ad...Csid=72013f153431b15e1c8875e62e141f78&x=0&y=0
or you can get a custom one made by several companies and fab up your own brackets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man.

In your opinion what size alternator do you think i would need for 1500 w mono amp.

180 i think would be enough.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Caps are a waste? what? How can you say that. A cap is used for the sudden flow of energy needed for when the bass hits. So instead of taking power from the battery and causing everything in your vehicle to dim for a second the power comes from the cap which already has the power needed stored up.

Fair enough a cap isnt 100% needed as a battery and alternator can do the job, but the cap helps against the dimming of lights and strain on other electrical systems. IMO it just makes the whole install look better and you dont get that irritating dimming of lights at night.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Caps are a waste? what? How can you say that. A cap is used for the sudden flow of energy needed for when the bass hits. So instead of taking power from the battery and causing everything in your vehicle to dim for a second the power comes from the cap which already has the power needed stored up.

Fair enough a cap isnt 100% needed as a battery and alternator can do the job, but the cap helps against the dimming of lights and strain on other electrical systems. IMO it just makes the whole install look better and you dont get that irritating dimming of lights at night.
caps can solve the dimming light issue, but it doesnt solve the problem.

a capacitor is merely a storage medium. it does not generate any energy. an alternator generates energy via motion. a battery generates energy via chemical reaction.

following me so far?

a cap pulls energy from the battery and stores it. it charges and discharges much faster than the battery. this helps eliminate the shock to the system that most people see as headlights dimming. however, all it does is soften the peak. in reality, the lights still dim. they just do it much slower so its less noticeable.

so basically you introduce a middle man between the battery and the amplifier. and the middle man always wants his cut. do you think caps can store and discharge energy at 100% efficiency? there will be thermal losses.

but as you stated, the only thing a capacitor is good for is looking good, which is debatable.

Thanks man.

In your opinion what size alternator do you think i would need for 1500 w mono amp.

180 i think would be enough.
180 would be plenty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have to argree about not needing the cap. i have herd this from many car stero guys and was debating it my self.

I had a buddy that ran 1 1000W jl mono amp and he had dual battary and 1 big cap. he ran stock alternator and at comps he had to keep foot on gas pedel to 1500 rpms i think that is all your aloud.

thanks for posts

The more and more i think about it i think this is my list.
Dual yellow top. bought used today. $125
that mean green 180 amp. $350
Kicker 1500.1 $400 refurbished but with 1 year service warrenty
the round solo barics dual 4 ohm 1 15''. $180
I will build box my self and have my buddy's mom wrap it.
Oh yeah i need to get some huge wire probally 0 gauge.

Do you guys know where there is any good install pics in king cab?

thanks again for the post

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
buying a used battery and using the battery you already have for a dual battery setup is a really bad idea. when doing dual battery setups you need to have both batteries the same age(usually both new) and same size/group. if they are not the same the weaker battery will draw from the stronger battery and will kill each other. you need a battery isolator at the least to control each battery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will that sucks.

That never cross my mind. I was stoked about getting the two batteries so cheap.

Any body want to buy two yellow tops for $125?

I'll use them until there dead and then i will buy some more when i need it.

I really wish i would have known this about 4 hours ago.

Oh well.

If battary is not stamp can you take it back and exchange it?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
if you lived closer i would grab those batteries from you but Ky is TOOOOOO far for me. if the two batteries are close in age they may be fine. put them both on a charger buy themselves and let the get to full charge. let them rest for an hour off the charger and test them to see what the voltage is. if its close or the same they may be fine to use. if one shows 13.8v and the other shows 12.9 then i wouldnt risk it. just use the best of the two and pick up a new alt. do you have anyone in your area that still rebuilds alt's? if so you could pick up one from a junk yard and have them rewind it for more output.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts