Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Frontier Pro4-x with factory roof rack. It's too narrow to mount a canoe as is so I was wanting some "universal" cross members that mount on top of it, but most of those seem to only fit the more common SUV style of roof bars, not the 2" round tubular stock on the Nissan factory rack. Any suggestions that aren't an arm and a leg?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a 2015 Frontier Pro4-x with factory roof rack. It's too narrow to mount a canoe as is so I was wanting some "universal" cross members that mount on top of it, but most of those seem to only fit the more common SUV style of roof bars, not the 2" round tubular stock on the Nissan factory rack. Any suggestions that aren't an arm and a leg?
A couple of years ago I got a set of Yakima X-towers which can adapt generic crossbars to the round rails. I use them with a pair of Vantech bars. The X-towers are now discontinued but you can cobble something similar together out of conduit clamps or something like that. I believe the diameter of the rails is 2 1/8” so anything that will clamp to that should work.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
436 Posts
I think the U-bolt method might be the only useful solution. I'd find some used 58" Thule square bars on Craigslist, then drill holes for the u-bolts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the U-bolt method might be the only useful solution. I'd find some used 58" Thule square bars on Craigslist, then drill holes for the u-bolts.
Well sheee-yoot! maybe I'll just replace my 2x4s with some strut channel, unistrut, superstrut whatever you call it! with some caps on the end it might not look too terrible.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Look at the reply half way down.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use a set of Yakima RailGrab towers and some roundbars. The RailGrab kit is discontinued so I got a set used off of fleabay. They mount nice and snug to the factory rack.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check out these: Inno Base Mounts. I use these on my 2019 Pro4X with factory rack. I had a set of extra long Thule square bars that these fit perfectly. Mounted a top box and it was sturdy at highway speeds for nearly 8 hours. Only downside is that the bars generate some serious wind noise!

There now appears to be an aero bar version for less wind noise. Full disclaimer - I don’t have any personal experience with the aero bar version. Just saw this appears to have the same type of mounting system as the base mounts I use. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts