Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha everyone, I'm Bob, live on Kauai.

Just purchased a 2003 Frontier XE, 6 cyl, with the VG33E motor, automatic, 4WD, 109,000 miles. Appears to be in good shape, mechanically and cosmetically.

First question, the truck has four doors, an a bench type seat in the back. What's the difference between a king cab and a crew cab?

This is my first pickup and first 4WD. I looked over the manual last night and I'm unclear about the procedures for moving from 2WD to 4H or 4L. Could someone give me some clear directions bout how to do that? I don't think I'll be using 4WD too often, but need to know how to do it, correctly.

Also, I was looking the truck over more carefully, and I noticed an electrical connector hanging loose. It's forward of the radiator, but behind the plastic grill. I'm attaching a pic here. The connector is black, with some light green. Any ideas what this should connect to?

Mahalo,

Bob

·
Registered
71 Posts
Aloha Bob - If that truck wandered over from Alaska or somewhere up north, that wire might be for a block heater. Looks familiar to others I have seen. My truck is a Gen 2, so I'm not sure about your 2003 4wd, but the procedure is surely in that manual somewhere.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Congrats on your first 4wd and new Fronty! A crew cab has 4 doors that all open in the same direction and will have 4 visible exterior door handles. A king cab is Nissan's term for an extended cab which will also have 4 doors however the back 2 will open opposite of the front doors (suicide style). A king cab will only have 2 visible exterior door handles. A crew cab has much more room behind the front seats than a king cab does.

Regarding 4wd...you can shift back and forth from 2H and 4H at any speed at any time under about 50 mph (shift on the fly) or at a complete stop. To access 2L from any other transfer case setting you must be at a complete stop and be in Park. Likewise to shift out of 2L you must also be stopped and in Park.

Don't know what the wire is...

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Congrats on your first 4wd and new Fronty! A crew cab has 4 doors that all open in the same direction and will have 4 visible exterior door handles. A king cab is Nissan's term for an extended cab which will also have 4 doors however the back 2 will open opposite of the front doors (suicide style). A king cab will only have 2 visible exterior door handles. A crew cab has much more room behind the front seats than a king cab does.

Regarding 4wd...you can shift back and forth from 2H and 4H at any speed at any time under about 50 mph (shift on the fly) or at a complete stop. To access 2L from any other transfer case setting you must be at a complete stop and be in Park. Likewise to shift out of 2L you must also be stopped and in Park.

1st gen King Cabs only have 2 doors with a small fold down jumper seat in the extended cab area. Some 1st gen King Cabs have only one jumper seat and some have two. It depends on year model. My 04 KC only has one jumper and it's on the passenger side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aloha Bob - If that truck wandered over from Alaska or somewhere up north, that wire might be for a block heater. Looks familiar to others I have seen. My truck is a Gen 2, so I'm not sure about your 2003 4wd, but the procedure is surely in that manual somewhere.

Good Luck!
Aloha SLM, CARFAX records reflect that it was a Kauai truck for it's entire life. Appreciate the input

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Got it, so I've got a crew cab. Thanks for the advice on the 4WD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts