Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all;
I have read through all the stickies and spent a ton of time searching. I think what i have below is what i am looking for, but i welcome any opinions or advice. I have a 2011 cclb. I use it for work (commercial general contractor and need to haul materials every once in a while), take is off road to Rausch Creek in PA and my buddies farm when i put it through the paces as well as tow a horse trailer that my wife has, which when loaded with a horse is approx 4,500 lbs. I also have a full set of skid plates minus the radiator one.

So I am looking for something that keeps me lifted (currently have a 2" spacer in the front but would like a touch more), keeps the articulation for off road and stiffens the rear a touch for the trailer. With that i have come up with the following:

Front:
Adjustable Bils 5100 with 1.5" LD lift coil. Bils set on 0.5" setting. 4x4 parts seems to be about $25 cheaper. I did find these on Amazon, same thing? Lift coils from 4x4 parts.

Rear:
OME MD Dakar leaf pack from Nisstec. Should give a little more payload but not overkill. I do need to buy the bushing pack correct?
OME CS150R Dakar Leaf Springs - Nisstec Lifts: Nissan Lift Kits: XTerra Lift Kits, Frontier Lift Kits, Titan Lift Kits, Nissan Truck Lift Kits

I am trying to get the truck as level as i can, if i have a little rake that is fine.

Thanks for all help.

Kevin

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just to clarify: are you planning on running the Bils 5100 at .5" w/ lift coils, AND the 2" spacer in the front? or are the Bils and coils going in without the spacer?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to clarify: are you planning on running the Bils 5100 at .5" w/ lift coils, AND the 2" spacer in the front? or are the Bils and coils going in without the spacer?
I will be ditching the spacer. So just running the Bils @ 0.5" with a 1.5" LD lift coil.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Well that is not going to give you more lift. You already have 2". Just Kidding. You will be surprise how much your springs have sagged already. That sounds like a good plan. Those 5100 from amazon are the right parts. That it who I bought mine from, they are the right part number.

As for the rear I am a big fan of airbags. It gives you infinite control of the amount of lift and load carrying capacity. I am sure you squat quite a bit towing that horse trailer. More so than the 150lb of extra cap the OME pack can supply. Might not articulate quite as well as the new leaf pack you listed. But the rear end already articulates so much better than the front.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that is not going to give you more lift. You already have 2". Just Kidding. You will be surprise how much your springs have sagged already. That sounds like a good plan. Those 5100 from amazon are the right parts. That it who I bought mine from, they are the right part number.

As for the rear I am a big fan of airbags. It gives you infinite control of the amount of lift and load carrying capacity. I am sure you squat quite a bit towing that horse trailer. More so than the 150lb of extra cap the OME pack can supply. Might not articulate quite as well as the new leaf pack you listed. But the rear end already articulates so much better than the front.
From what i understand people have gained more than 2" in the front even with the 1.5" spring and 0.5" setting on the bils so i was going to try that first.
Yea, i know the rear has sagged, its noticeable. My only problem with the air bags, and correct me if i am wrong, don't hold up well to off road use. Specifically flexing and stuffing tires. We run lots of rocks being in the northeast so the axle moves a lot. I was under the impression that even with no air in them you still run the risk of tearing one.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
From what i understand people have gained more than 2" in the front even with the 1.5" spring and 0.5" setting on the bils so i was going to try that first.
Yea, i know the rear has sagged, its noticeable. My only problem with the air bags, and correct me if i am wrong, don't hold up well to off road use. Specifically flexing and stuffing tires. We run lots of rocks being in the northeast so the axle moves a lot. I was under the impression that even with no air in them you still run the risk of tearing one.
I have had my airbag for at least 8 years. I offroad a decent amount and have not had any issue. Yes rocky terrain. If you run NO air in them they will get damaged. Must have at least 10 psi in them. On offroad trips I am often loaded with gear and like the extra height. I will run 40-60 psi. Riding around I typically have at least 20. With 3000 lbs in the bed I will run 100 PSI; though I have only done this once. I often haul 2K#s without issue at 100psi.
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v317/MrPulldown/2013FallWheelin_zps5648f6a9.mp4

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Nissan4Life, do you do any measuring (IE ground to top of wheel well) to determine your RideRite's PSI?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had my airbag for at least 8 years. I offroad a decent amount and have not had any issue. Yes rocky terrain. If you run NO air in them they will get damaged. Must have at least 10 psi in them. On offroad trips I am often loaded with gear and like the extra height. I will run 40-60 psi. Riding around I typically have at least 20. With 3000 lbs in the bed I will run 100 PSI; though I have only done this once. I often haul 2K#s without issue at 100psi.
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v317/MrPulldown/2013FallWheelin_zps5648f6a9.mp4
I have to say, your starting to sell me on them. the more air you run would limit the axle articulation, correct? So say 100psi would not allow the axle to cycle nearly as far as say 10 psi?

Do you hand inflate or have an air setup? Does a bike pump work or do you need something more?

Ill have to do some more research.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
I have to say, your starting to sell me on them. the more air you run would limit the axle articulation, correct? So say 100psi would not allow the axle to cycle nearly as far as say 10 psi?

Do you hand inflate or have an air setup? Does a bike pump work or do you need something more?

Ill have to do some more research.
Nissan4Life, do you do any measuring (IE ground to top of wheel well) to determine your RideRite's PSI?
You don't really notice it limiting articulation though I am sure it does. For a given amount of lift, the amount of air you have in the bags is depend on your payload. The payload will force your articulation. Does this make sense. So for example: if I have 2" of lift with 200lbs of weight and 40 psi, it is more or less the same as having 500 lbs and 70 psi for the same 2" of lift (not real #s just an example).

I do not have an on board air set up. If am going to pick up a load of gravel and I am home I will pump the bags up with my compressor. But this depends on how far I need to drive and how much load I will have. If I need to pick up 1 ton of gravel 50 miles away I might not want to make that drive with an empty bed and 100 psi in the airbags. I keep a small bike pump (type with a short hose) in my truck if I need to pump it up at the site. The volume of the bags is small so it is doable. However I often deflate the bags compeltly when I am loading the bed so that the bed is lower and easier to lift things like big rounds of firewood or motorcycles. Once loaded I fill the bags to travel. This can be a PITA with a small hand pump when there is a load on the bags. So I bring along a small compressor. I have a high vol one for filling tires offroad, but often will jsut bring a small SLIME pump.

As far as how much lift vs how much air. I think empty bed 100 psi will yield 3"s. I have some pictures in this write up.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/firestone-airbags-install-22656/

If you tow or haul, this is really the way to go.

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
I use a hi-volume 'Specialized' manual bicycle pump and find I can go from 0-25psi in as little as 5 or 6 pumps for each side. Easy peasy. Pump has a built-in gauge that is accurate. While I would totally dig an onboard system, I'm an not an electrical wizard...so I make do.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
The Dakar leafs will need both the bushings and 2 degree shims. Do you have longer shocks on the rear? with any lift you will want longer shocks to allow longer droop.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have similar requirements for my '05 KC - mild offroading/crawling, semi-frequent towing of a 4,000-lb. car trailer.

After some research, I decided to go for a complete OME Medium Duty system, plus SPC UCAs and PRG 1.5" spacers - this gives me about a 2~2.5" lift (post-winch bumper install), and no rake front to back; plus, I like that all the components were designed to work well together. I purchased the OMEs from Nisstec, and UCAs/spacers from PRG.

The entire system works great - the truck's handling is predictable, and the Dakars handle the trailer's weight well, with excellent stability over bumpy surfaces at high speeds and very little visible "squat". I also get plenty of articulation on the trail, for the typically-"blue" trails that I do.

By the way, I'm sporting a 120+ lb. winch bumper and full skids/sliders (see signature), which all help weigh down the suspension a bit.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have similar requirements for my '05 KC - mild offroading/crawling, semi-frequent towing of a 4,000-lb. car trailer.

After some research, I decided to go for a complete OME Medium Duty system, plus SPC UCAs and PRG 1.5" spacers - this gives me about a 2~2.5" lift (post-winch bumper install), and no rake front to back; plus, I like that all the components were designed to work well together. I purchased the OMEs from Nisstec, and UCAs/spacers from PRG.

The entire system works great - the truck's handling is predictable, and the Dakars handle the trailer's weight well, with excellent stability over bumpy surfaces at high speeds and very little visible "squat". I also get plenty of articulation on the trail, for the typically-"blue" trails that I do.

By the way, I'm sporting a 120+ lb. winch bumper and full skids/sliders (see signature), which all help weigh down the suspension a bit.
Did you find the OME Medium Dakars helped with squat from the trailer. It says they handle 150lbs more than stock. Did you need the shims? Nisstec site mentions nothing about shims.

I will probably get longer rear shocks. Even with the air bags i probably wouldnt air them up to much creating a lot of lift until i have a load on it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Did you find the OME Medium Dakars helped with squat from the trailer. It says they handle 150lbs more than stock. Did you need the shims? Nisstec site mentions nothing about shims.

I will probably get longer rear shocks. Even with the air bags i probably wouldnt air them up to much creating a lot of lift until i have a load on it.
There may be an inch of squat when hitched up, but rake remains unnoticeable, and the vehicle handles well under those conditions; at this weight range (below 5,000 lbs.), I don't think that airbags are necessary. If you're willing to live with a stiffer ride, HD Dakars are options. The kit didn't come with shims included, so I don't have them.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't really notice it limiting articulation though I am sure it does. For a given amount of lift, the amount of air you have in the bags is depend on your payload. The payload will force your articulation. Does this make sense. So for example: if I have 2" of lift with 200lbs of weight and 40 psi, it is more or less the same as having 500 lbs and 70 psi for the same 2" of lift (not real #s just an example).

I do not have an on board air set up. If am going to pick up a load of gravel and I am home I will pump the bags up with my compressor. But this depends on how far I need to drive and how much load I will have. If I need to pick up 1 ton of gravel 50 miles away I might not want to make that drive with an empty bed and 100 psi in the airbags. I keep a small bike pump (type with a short hose) in my truck if I need to pump it up at the site. The volume of the bags is small so it is doable. However I often deflate the bags compeltly when I am loading the bed so that the bed is lower and easier to lift things like big rounds of firewood or motorcycles. Once loaded I fill the bags to travel. This can be a PITA with a small hand pump when there is a load on the bags. So I bring along a small compressor. I have a high vol one for filling tires offroad, but often will jsut bring a small SLIME pump.

As far as how much lift vs how much air. I think empty bed 100 psi will yield 3"s. I have some pictures in this write up.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/firestone-airbags-install-22656/

If you tow or haul, this is really the way to go.

I think i found what i was looking for. My main concern was reading the warning on the firestone to not lift the frame without removing supporting or removing the air bag. Every time i go wheeling i end up with a rear tire off the ground. That would put all the force on the air bag which is really what makes me hesitant. After a lot of searching and reading i found these cradles. I read through the toyota forums and multiple people have them and have no issues with them. It essentially allows the air bag to float, attached at the top at the frame and then if the rear is flexed enough it allows it to come up while the axle articulates as necessary. They are $80 for the pair.

Daystar? - Driven by Design

I am not really looking for more height in the rear, though if i do need it, I have adjustable shackles back there already. Not the perfect solution but with the air bags it will be ok for a quite a while. Then eventually will need to leaf packs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts