Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,397 Posts
if you start to get a shimmy in the steering wheel at highway speeds then you should start with getting your wheels balanced. even light offroading can knock off your wheel weights.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
410 Posts
yes you ahve to worry about it, no you dont have to have your truck aligned everytime you hit the dirt.

its possible you can knock it out of align, but its not that easy. your truck will handle it very well for a while. like he said above, if you start getting shakes in the wheel, your truck pulls to one side or something like that, yeah take it in have it fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool...Thanks for the info! I know my old car got out of alignment pretty easy for some reason...so I just thought about it after I went off roading...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
I would bet your old car was front wheel drive.

Some shops will sell an unlimited alignment deal. They are expensive, but not as expensive as getting an alignment done every 6 months.

I got one from a Goodyear shop for $295. Sometimes I went in once a month. Other times only once every 6 months. It really paid for itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
outlnder said:
I would bet your old car was front wheel drive.

Some shops will sell an unlimited alignment deal. They are expensive, but not as expensive as getting an alignment done every 6 months.

I got one from a Goodyear shop for $295. Sometimes I went in once a month. Other times only once every 6 months. It really paid for itself.
yeah, it was front wheel drive...how'd you know? i'm guessing the whole alignment deal might not be worth it with our trucks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Front wheel drive vehicles are notorious for being out of alignment. Since the power wheels are also the steering wheels, they get tweaked very easily. The mechanism is rather fragile.

Fortunately, a 4x4 vehicle has a transfer case and not a CV joint. This allows power and steering without the fragility of front wheel drive vehicles.

Just to be clearer, when I did get my alignment done once a month, it was barely out. Wouldn't even have caused poor tire wear. I just did it cause I could. And I felt better after pounding the truck on rocky trails.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,397 Posts
outlnder said:
Front wheel drive vehicles are notorious for being out of alignment. Since the power wheels are also the steering wheels, they get tweaked very easily. The mechanism is rather fragile.

Fortunately, a 4x4 vehicle has a transfer case and not a CV joint. This allows power and steering without the fragility of front wheel drive vehicles.
well 4x4's with independent front suspenion do have cv joints. the transfer case is selectible gear reduction system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Jojo, where is a CV joint? I know mine has one Universal joint, but I haven't seen a CV joint anywhere.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,397 Posts
outlnder said:
Jojo, where is a CV joint? I know mine has one Universal joint, but I haven't seen a CV joint anywhere.
outlnder can you post a pic of your front driveline? only one u-joint? 8O doesnt sound right to me. i would like to see what your looking at. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
jojo, I think if you remove those boots you will find universal joints, not cv joints.

outlnder can you post a pic of your front driveline? only one u-joint?
Sorry about that, I was referring to right after the differential. I did not include the one at the wheel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,397 Posts
u-joints are a sealed system, you don't need a boot to cover them, just like the drive shaft dosen't have boots cover on them.
a cv-joint is not sealed. hence the reason for the boot. the reason they use a cv joint is because it as a greater articulation then a u-joint. u-joints tend to bind at greater angles.
cv- joints don't. even the ones at the front diffs are cv's. but i've been wrong before, so if anyone got a pic of u-joints on there fronty's front half shaft, i would like to see them. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
You're probably right. I haven't seen a covered U-joint.

This just proves how good the Frontier is!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top