Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Forum,

My truck died again just like I described in a previous post. Apparently the bolt that goes into the end of the alternator bracket is missing from my truck and that is allowing the alternator to come loose. The result is a shredded belt and the electrical system not working properly. The Nissan dealer says the bolt has been discontinued, and told me that they really don't know what I can do. I checked around town and nobody has it, including two junk yards. Any ideas on where to get one? Anyone know what size bolt it is as I could look for one from McMaster Carr or somewhere else.

Thanks

Coach

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Which engine would help, and year.

That stated: let me comment if you have the 1st generation 4-cylinder engine, as I have 1st year -1998- and last year (2004) of those.

Yes, when I bought my 2004 in 2011, I didn't realize that its alternator did not have the long "pivot" bolt at all, knew that a shop had tried several belts there. That originally took a 10mm x 1.5mm bolt, 130mm in length; my trips to a few parts stores and Ace Hardware showed me that only they only had 120mm length as the longest. So I bought a 5-inch long 3/8-inch bolt from Ace Hardware plus a nut and lockwasher, and used that instead, string me up for using SAE if you like. I think 5.5-inch length would be fine as well. But I see that bolt as #08174-0071A and available from dealer, and its special captive nut #01221-00381 and available (of course a traditional metric nut could be used there).

Now, the alternator tension adjust bolt is common 8mm x 1.25mm thread except that it's got a full-length threaded portion, and the one on my 1998 was bent and I couldn't straighten it enough. So I took a same-length/thread bolt and used a die to cut more threads on it, but then just rode my bicycle to Ace Hardware and picked up a brand-new one for about $1.50 in one of the little drawers. Its only "drawback" is that the new bolt takes a 13mm socket, no big deal. I see that as #11717-3S500 and discontinued by the dealer.

The 3rd bolt is very standard size, readily available at Ace and other stores. I see this as #08126-8451E and available from dealer.

My dealer information comes from https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/par...tier/alternator-fitting.html?Diagram=230_A001

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which engine would help, and year.

That stated: let me comment if you have the 1st generation 4-cylinder engine, as I have 1st year -1998- and last year (2004) of those.

Yes, when I bought my 2004 in 2011, I didn't realize that its alternator did not have the long "pivot" bolt at all, knew that a shop had tried several belts there. That originally took a 10mm x 1.5mm bolt, 130mm in length; my trips to a few parts stores and Ace Hardware showed me that only they only had 120mm length as the longest. So I bought a 5-inch long 3/8-inch bolt from Ace Hardware plus a nut and lockwasher, and used that instead, string me up for using SAE if you like. I think 5.5-inch length would be fine as well. But I see that bolt as #08174-0071A and available from dealer, and its special captive nut #01221-00381 and available (of course a traditional metric nut could be used there).

Now, the alternator tension adjust bolt is common 8mm x 1.25mm thread except that it's got a full-length threaded portion, and the one on my 1998 was bent and I couldn't straighten it enough. So I took a same-length/thread bolt and used a die to cut more threads on it, but then just rode my bicycle to Ace Hardware and picked up a brand-new one for about $1.50 in one of the little drawers. Its only "drawback" is that the new bolt takes a 13mm socket, no big deal. I see that as #11717-3S500 and discontinued by the dealer.

The 3rd bolt is very standard size, readily available at Ace and other stores. I see this as #08126-8451E and available from dealer.

My dealer information comes from https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/par...tier/alternator-fitting.html?Diagram=230_A001

Thanks cusser. How long is the alternator tension adjust bolt? It appears to be the one I need.

Many thanks

Coach

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Thanks cusser. How long is the alternator tension adjust bolt? It appears to be the one I need. Coach
Coach - that tension adjust bolt is 75mm long, thread 8mm x 1.25mm, fully threaded. The factory bolt actually has a nub like 3mm long at its end to center it to get it started threading, but remember you only need to get this threaded in once, and you'd be doing this without the belt on anyway.

If you need a new belt, I like the Gates/CarQuest 7350. It's like 5mm shorter than the Gates 7355 usually listed (9.5mm x 920mm) but this gets me more in the middle of the adjustment screw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts