Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to thank your site for bringing me into the frontier fold. It was on this very website that I found out the Nissan had made a manual transmission truck with a crew cab and a really useful 6 foot bed.

After much internet shopping, some shameless lowballing, a VERY frustrating shipping experience across the US, and lastly a nice boat ride from Washington to Alaska, one year ago I got behind the wheel of my frontier.

Its a 2009 Frontier SE V6 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6MT. It was originally sold in Canada- so, yep, it already had a block heater installed (and hidden/camouflaged... between the battery and the headlight... so well that I bought one at the dealer and then found the one installed when i started trying to install the one I had bought) but that worked out nicely for life in Alaska.

This truck is great. It is fun to drive. And I'm really glad I found it before I settled for a 5 foot bed (thanks for nothing Toyota- and how about a revival Nissan??!).

I just had to replace the clutch at 89k miles which was a hard pill to swallow at 1600 bucks. Damn dual mass flywheels.

It is pretty much stock.

I got sick of the worn plastic steering wheel and shift knob so i bought a used leather (fake leather?) nissan steering wheel off eBay and ordered a nice leather shift knob from an online parts place. Thanks to this forum and some youtubing I managed to swap out the wheel without my airbag going off and (hopefully) got it all reinstalled and armed.

I took off the worn 265/70R16 long trails that were on the truck last summer and put on 245/75R16 Nokian Rotiiva all-season and snow rated tires. This would be regarded as a step back by most people- but we have snow on the road here 6 months a year and I find narrower tires work better for the mostly on road driving I do. I can drive around in 2WD most of the time and toss it into 4 when needed with this setup. And I only have one set of wheels/tires to deal with.

The truck was too low slung for my liking so I had a shop put in those adjustable height bilstein 5100 shocks and I tossed some fabtech 2" lift shackles on the rear springs. I then fought with trying to install camber bolts in the front lower control arms. During evenings after work for about three weeks using all of the penetrating oils known to mankind, impact guns, breaker bars, multiple jacks and jack stands, and lots of swearing I succeed in removing the nuts on both driver and passenger sides- but I was never able to get the bolt to slide out. So i have to live with camber that is within spec- but I feel like I can see the top of the tire slightly out from the bottom of the tire.

I just rotated tires today with 8000 miles on them and didn't seem to see any excess wear on the outside of the front tires (see stupid caber note above) so that made me feel better about losing the battle. The fronts still showed above 80% on the wear indicators. The rears had worn approximately 20% in 10k miles which is just OK for an all season snow rated soft compound tire. I guess I should drive in 4 more often and do less 2wd burnouts.

Anyway- this truck is good. It has kept me from buying the alternative new stick shift Crew Cab 6ft bed ram 2500 that would cost 4 used Nissans. The rams are nice trucks, but after driving this frontier v6 the ram feels like a pig. The fun to drive factor is definitely less. The touch screen radio, heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, and 2000lb payload sure are nice though. But I still can't understand why both of these trucks don't come standard with a mechanical or clutch pack limited slip rear diff! Who in the nissan frontier world would not benefit from that? (And before I get any lip: there were no pro4x ever in crew cab long bed 6MT)... Sand, mud, snow, burnouts... all go better with torque to both rear wheels.

Alright. that was longer than expected. I guess I am a budding enthusiast. Lets start a petition to re-incarnate my long bed crew cab 6-speed manual burnout machine in 2019. I forecast we are hosed for any Navara-frontiers in 2018. And it will need to have a bigger payload so I am not taking advantage of engineering safety factors when I haul a sled in the bed and two on a trailer with three dudes and gear in my truck. I sure hope Nissan's engineers used safety factors like ASME B31.3 code style...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Hey Nissan? Here is ANOTHER vote for bringing back the CC LWB 6-sp...!!!

I'd be driving one right now if they made them in '15. :serious:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Nice snow machine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts