Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake pads are about 1/2 gone now, and for a number of reasons, I'm looking at replacing them. I don't remember the exact designation of the last set I put on, carbon metallic maybe? They are very clean and long lasting, but they have always required a good amount of pedal force, and I have never liked it at all.

Rock Auto sells Akebono very reasonably and I'm thinking about trying them, so any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've used Akebono on Hondas/Mazdas before with good results. They're good every day street pads.

I used Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramics on my F250. Low dust and no noise, but it felt like I was towing a trailer when I wasn't. I switched them out for EBC YellowStuff Truck/Towing pads. After installing those, I could bring that 7,400lb truck to a stop with the weight of my foot on the brake. They dust like heck and don't last as long as ceramic, but they stop!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramics on my F250. Low dust and no noise, but it felt like I was towing a trailer when I wasn't.
That's the best analogy I've seen for what I have going on. I'm glad you mentioned the Wagners I briefly looked at them too and was wondering. I just want something that stops better without going to organics, but I don't see much of any other choice.

·
Registered
449 Posts
That's the best analogy I've seen for what I have going on. I'm glad you mentioned the Wagners I briefly looked at them too and was wondering. I just want something that stops better without going to organics, but I don't see much of any other choice.
In my opinion, nothing will stop as well as semi-metallics. Ceramics work great if you can maintain temperature in the brakes. They are also low-dust, which is why people with nicer cars like 'em. But semi-metallics and organics work well cold and up to normal operating temperature. They tend to chew up your rotors, but those are not that expensive to replace every other pad slap. It's a trade-off. Better braking performance at one end of the spectrum tends to result in inferior performance at the other end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts