Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. The last time I had my oil changed, the dealer brought my air filter out and asked if I wanted it changed. I told them I would change it myself. It was almost time for another oil change, so I bought a filter and went to replace it before I went.

I noticed that the middle hinge was not inserted right/all the way. Sure enough, I open the air box and there is a good bit of dirt and other debris in there. I replaced the filter and tried to close the airbox back myself but no matter what I could not get that middle tab back in, because the box is now sort of bowed there.

I took it to the dealer and explained the issue. They say that even though the filter foam is showing a bit, that it is sealed, because if it wasn't, unmetered air would be setting off the check engine light. So I was like "well I get that, but there is still a lot of dirt in there getting through." And they pretty much doubled down on it being sealed. Opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not sure how to edit on mobile, but just to be clear, I had never opened the airbox before. Only them. So it's my opinion they didn't close it back properly and the pressure caused the plastic to bow

·
Registered
936 Posts
Its a common issue.... certain brands of air filters dont fit quite right, I know Fram air filters dont fit correctly in mine.
I finally found that Wix air filters fit better and even then that middle tab is hard to get seated.

Its hard to tell from your pics but I know when I change my air filter there is dirt/dust at the bottom of the airbox, I just vacuum it out.

·
Registered
329 Posts
the OE airbox is a cheap POS + very flexible, when i checked my newly purchased 13 SV's filter + found a handful of acorn's in it i fully removed it + after cleaning found it to be a PITA to put back on!! i will replace it with a Volant in the near future!!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
dirt in the bottom of the box is normal (to a certain degree). THe tabs should "toe in". I have trimmed the back edge of some air filter gaskets/foam to make it fit better.

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Hi. The last time I had my oil changed, the dealer brought my air filter out and asked if I wanted it changed. I told them I would change it myself. It was almost time for another oil change, so I bought a filter and went to replace it before I went.

I noticed that the middle hinge was not inserted right/all the way. Sure enough, I open the air box and there is a good bit of dirt and other debris in there. I replaced the filter and tried to close the airbox back myself but no matter what I could not get that middle tab back in, because the box is now sort of bowed there.

I took it to the dealer and explained the issue. They say that even though the filter foam is showing a bit, that it is sealed, because if it wasn't, unmetered air would be setting off the check engine light. So I was like "well I get that, but there is still a lot of dirt in there getting through." And they pretty much doubled down on it being sealed. Opinions?
The filter only has to "seal" the upper part of the box. The bottom of the box (under the filter) will always have dust and dirt after awhile thanks to the intake tube and gravity.

As for the middle tab, I would pull the whole airbox out to see if it really won't close. The material the OEM airbox is made of is pretty stiff, but manageable. I've had to use some extra "push" to get the middle tab back in place where it's supposed to be more than a few times, might seem difficult but once you figure out the right way to position the top part it's easy.

And @MNCarl is right - the filter you use can affect how easy/hard it is to close the airbox.

the OE airbox is a cheap POS + very flexible, when i checked my newly purchased 13 SV's filter + found a handful of acorn's in it i fully removed it + after cleaning found it to be a PITA to put back on!! i will replace it with a Volant in the near future!!
OEM airbox is a lot better than others. The throttle intake is located above the filter (where it should be), and it has a dedicated cold intake tube that goes out to the fender.

Your acorn issue means squirrels went into your airbox. ::laugh::

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
yeah that is BS. that isn't on/closed fully at all.
i had a hard time wrestling it shut properly too when i opened it up, you have to really muscle those tabs in at the perfect angle, @raine is totally right, it can be a pain in the butt at first but once you figure out exactly how to do it, it's pretty easy. in fact when i first bought it, i noticed it wasn't even fully seated from the factory... i would say it's just a lousy design and takes more effort than it should to really get it closed. i'm not surprised a dealership would screw it up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
One thing that's not clear to me, which Raine wisely brought up, is I'm still wondering. Was there a lot of dirt before the filter filters air or after the filter filters air? After? Very bad. Causes engine damage. Before? Normal. Clean it up if you wish, definitely if you have a leak after the air filter.

All that said you did talk to a moron. The MAF is after the air filter and a leak around the air filter isn't a leak which would affect how the computer is managing air and fuel.

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
One thing that's not clear to me, which Raine wisely brought up, is I'm still wondering. Was there a lot of dirt before the filter filters air or after the filter filters air? After? Very bad. Causes engine damage. Before? Normal. Clean it up if you wish, definitely if you have a leak after the air filter.

All that said you did talk to a moron. The MAF is after the air filter and a leak around the air filter isn't a leak which would affect how the computer is managing air and fuel.
Yeah whoever said that doesn't know what they're talking about... you can take the whole airbox out and the MAF will still read correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts