Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, second post already...wow!

I test drove a 2004 XE 2.4 5spd a little over two hours ago.
Great driving truck, adequate acceeration and feel for my needs.

Anyway, it has a little over 95K, carfax says 1 owner vehicle...technically 2 since its at a lot now...but i digress..the sales guy wants $7,500...but Im gonna offer $6,500 and heres why.
-Rear bumper faded to almost white
-Pos. Battery cable terminal corroded to post
-Higher mileage
-Passenger door cushion seal startng to fall down/sag
-Carpets/Floor mats need cleaned
-Timing Belt will be need to be changed, unles he can produce a reciept.
-Looks like a rust patch was painted-over aft of passenger door, fwd of bed at the bottom.
-The Big One: Passenger Airbag light flashes when it turned off or on. Is this normal? How is it fixed?
Does my offer sound reasonable? The truck is black, its exactly what Ive been looking for. All items are rather minor, but definately help in negoiations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see what youre saying. but the light was continually flashing all through my 30 min. test drive. heres how it went.
drove for 10 min or so, noticed flashing light.
pulled into parking lot, passenger airbag was ON.
turned off truck, used key to turn passenger airbag OFF.
started truck and continued drive
light still flashing, so i stopped again, turned the bag back on, and continued the drive.

anyways, i found a few threads on here that address possibly resetting the damn thing manually if it is in fact a false positive thing...thats what im hoping. i can act like its a $700 dollar fix, buy the truck, go home and reset it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? A timing chain...just like my G20... awesome!

How about the accessory drive belts? Or is there one serpantine belt? I thought I saw two under the hood. That would be a 100K item, right?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Really? A timing chain...just like my G20... awesome!

How about the accessory drive belts? Or is there one serpantine belt? I thought I saw two under the hood. That would be a 100K item, right?
It's old school with a fan belt, alternator belt, & ac belt. All are easily accessible.

The 2.4 liter frontier is a tried & proven drivetrain dating back to the 80's hardbodies. There are basically no known flaws given regular maintenance.

The six cylinders have a few issues, but are still overall very good motors. Fours are bullitproof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great, thanks!

i shouldve known about the time chain and belt situation as i previously owned a 94 Altima w/ KA24DE and a 93 G20 w/ SR20DE...
i guess i thought something mightve changed over a decade, but im glad it didnt.

i see you are from indy, what side of town? im on the south side just north of Greenwood.

·
Registered
904 Posts
i see you are from indy, what side of town? im on the south side just north of Greenwood.
North side around the crossings. That surprises me a little because there are not a lot of Frontiers around the Indy area. I ended up going to Chicago to get my 2.4 5spd, which I was insistent on. Most of them listed around here were 4wd auto 6 cylinders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts