Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Airbag light came on in 2012 Frontier after replacing a leaf spring and both rear shocks (want to replace the other [driver side] spring but couldn't loosen the front nut). Put heat to the front leaf spring nut... could that have set off a sensor?

I drove that night after the suspension repair and in the morning the light airbag light came on. I tried the airbag light reset that I read about in previous threads. I notice some found the method successful and some did not. If this method is not successful, even after several attempts, does it indicate a definite problem?

One thing I noticed with the reset that I saw no mention on in the threads here it the rhythm of the slower blink. The method outlined that I read mentioned that after doing 3 cycles of 5 seconds the light would blink at a slower pace. It did. But I also notice that it blinked twice quickly and then a pause. First I thought it was one slow blink and then two fast... but not sure that I observed it carefully enough... I tried the process once more and observed that the light (after the 3 sets of 5 seconds off) blinked twice slowly and then twice quickly, repeatedly. Does this indicate something in particular?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
This makes no sense. The airbag light tells if the passenger airbag is armed. Within the seat is a weight sensor. Only if the passenger is over 100 lbs (?) does the airbag get armed. If less than this weight, the airbag light is lit. The leaf springs have nothing to do with the seat. However if the truck is listing to one side because it has one new set of leaf springs, the weight sensor may be reading differently.

·
Registered
940 Posts
There's multiple acceleramators plus the bags and module, you need to check the airbag codes, usually takes one of the newer high-end readers to get codes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Only if the passenger is over 100 lbs (?) does the airbag get armed.
This is hit-or-miss in my experience. I used to date a woman who couldn't reliably trigger the passenger air bag seat sensor. Then again, she did weigh right about that 100 pound mark. It was just funny to watch her get playfully bent out of shape when she pigged out for the day and still didn't trip the sensor in my '07 Suzuki Reno.

As far as my Frontier goes, I've never had reliable readings from the sensor, even when empty. If it's anything like my Reno, it would require a wiring harness replacement ($1300), so I just won't worry about it deactivating when the seat is empty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts