Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I installed an aftermarket stereo and now have a blinking airbag light. I thought maybe it was the passenger off light causing the issue because I did unplug it while doing the install. I have tried the reset method from the service manual and can get it to toggle between constant flashing and diag mode. The code seems to be 1, 3 second flash followed by 2 quick flashes. Manual says its the Air bag diagnosis sensor unit. I checked continuity between the pins on the passenger off light and the module under the cup holder and it seems to be fine. Any suggestions? See video for the code. Am I right about which code it is?

https://vimeo.com/196919205

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,255 Posts
Did you watch the reset done on you tube? I watched it once and worked well, perhaps your not doing it just right?

Clint

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did watch a few of the videos. I can switch between diag and user mode using that method but its just not resetting. Anyone know of there are any other airbag related wires behind the radio?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have used the following method many times and it's worked every time. (Thanks to Thump for this, I copied it from a post he made)

RESET METHOD:

If you have the airbag light blinking here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
As long as you did not cut any of the wires for any of the airbag circuit when changing the radio and you have tried the resets and they have not worked, just take it in for warranty. It looks like you have a 2016 so let them fix it.

Also, if you took the passenger seat out to run wires for an AMP or something there is a yellow air bag connector under the seat. Make sure you got a good connection on it after putting the seat back and then try the reset again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as you did not cut any of the wires for any of the airbag circuit when changing the radio and you have tried the resets and they have not worked, just take it in for warranty. It looks like you have a 2016 so let them fix it.

Also, if you took the passenger seat out to run wires for an AMP or something there is a yellow air bag connector under the seat. Make sure you got a good connection on it after putting the seat back and then try the reset again.

That's a good point. I only cut one wire back there and not to the airbag. I just didn't want the dealership saying it is my radio install and then trying to charge me.

·
Registered
2015 CC SL 4x4 - Lear Cap.
231 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Air bag light fix

I have a 2000 frontier. Traditional key on/off didn't work for me (maybe I did it wrong).

However, and I know yours is much newer, but try this: https://youtu.be/eDg1b0dYtys

It worked for me.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
They have to show the stereo install caused the failure. and if you used plug-in harnesses that makes it pretty much impossible. This is the one reason I prefer to use plug-in harnesses even if its a splice situation like the Yaw sensor disable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I was rear ended and just got my truck back from the shop. They told me that they looked at the code from the airbag but didn't work on it because it was not covered by the claim. They told me a totally different code than what I am seeing in my video. Could someone watch the video I posted In the OP and tell me what you think the code is? I just want to see what a few of you say before I post what they told me because I don't see it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts