Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 Frontier Airbag light keeps flashing. I tried the "turn the key on and off several times" thing I saw from a previous thread and no luck. Before I tear into it any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
20 Posts
I have an '18 and went from flashing constantly "turn before the key on and off several times", to 1 long blink on, followed by 2 short blinks on, and then out for about 5 seconds, then it starts over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
check to see if your horn is working or your cruise control as well if you have that option...if they are both not working...could be your clock-spring assembly in the steering wheel is broken....will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Happened once on my '98. Here's what I did, and also some information I saved a while back.
what worked on my '98 Frontier:

Open the driver’s door.
Pull driver seat belt completely out of its tensioner, allow for it to retract
Note the rubber covered button located low on the B pillar, a button which is pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver’s Door Switch (DDS).
Turn the ignition from OFF to ON.
Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON.
Turn the ignition OFF.
Close the driver’s door.
Start the engine.

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:
1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

Here are the easy steps

Turn the ignition switch from off to on

Air Bag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, the turn ignition switch OFF within 1 second after the lamp turn off.

Turn ignition switch back off for more then 3 seconds

Repeat steps 1-3 twice so it will be 3 times total

Then turn the switch back on and the light should be reset.When you start the car, the light should come on for about 7 seconds and then turn off

Air bag light airbag light

"Turn the truck to accessory and wait till the airbag light starts to blink. As soon as it does turn the key off and count to five. Turn it back on to accessory and wait till it starts to blink and turn it back off. You either do this 3 or five times (Im pretty sure its five). After you turn it off the fifth time count to five and turn it back to acc. The light should blink longer and slower. You can watch this as long as you would like. Finally turn the truck off and count to five again. When you turn it back on it shouldn't be blinking anymore. Hope that works but like I said, im going off of memory"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts