Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did an amp install, and during the install it started raining pretty bad. I was in the middle of routing the power line through the grommet on the driver's side of the firewall when it started raining. So, I wasn't able to wrap it back up with tape on the exterior side. As a result, a lot of water got in and the insulation under the carpet around the foot rest was soaked. This work was done at my parents' house, and I needed to get back to my place 100 miles from there so I could go to work the next day. I was able to finish the wiring, and everything works fine, except for needing to fine tune the amp. However, on my way home I noticed the airbag warning light is blinking. I went to a gas station to make sure that the seat-belt wiring didn't become undone, but it was fine. I figured that I would give my truck several days to dry-out, which it now is, but the warning lamp is still blinking. I've even disconnected the positive battery lead for a half hour to drain down the capacitors in the computer to possibly erase any error codes that may have been triggered from some momentary problem during the install that may have happened. But the light is still on. I've checked and double-checked the wiring, and it's right. The SRS system was never tampered with, but yet the light is still on. The service manual discusses errors being accompanied by a solid light, not a blinking light. Frankly, I don't know what to do except take it to the dealer, which may cost a lot of money. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For anyone who read my post, I took my truck to the dealer yesterday. When I took my console apart to access the wiring harness for the stereo, I disconnected all the controls on the console so I could get it out of my way. After finishing all the wiring, I put the HU back in its place and put the key in the acc. position to check to see if everything works well before reassembling everything. Since the "disable airbag" light is in the console, the computer recognized the broken circuit. Even after reassembling everything, the flag remained in the computer. The dealer was able to reset it. I'm sure glad it was that easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The dealer is aware of the airbag light coming on, I had the same problem when i put my system in. It is a very sensitive relay sensor...The dealer will not charge to reset it if it is under warr

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I was looking through another forum and they said this is a way to reset blinking airbag light.

Need to reset that darned blinking SRS light? One of the two following methods should do the trick:

(2001 and older)
1. Open front door LH.
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Press front door switch LH at least 5 times within 7 seconds
after turning ignition switch ON.
SRS is now in Diagnosis mode.
4. “AIR BAG” warning lamp operates in Diagnosis mode

OR: (2002 to 2005)
1. Turn ignition switch “ON”.
2. After “AIR BAG” warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn ignition
switch “OFF” within 1 second. Remove key.
3. Wait more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 three times.
5. Turn ignition switch “ON”.
SRS is now in Diagnosis mode.
6. “AIR BAG” warning lamp operates in Diagnosis mode

Note the pattern of the blinking (X long blinks followed by Y short blinks) and the number of short blinks will indicate what it is complaining about:
1 is the driver's seatbelt pre-tensioner
2 is the driver airbag
3 is the passenger seatbelt pre-tensioner
6 is the crash zone sensor on the radiator support
7 is the airbag diagnosis sensor
8 is the passenger airbag
9 is the passenger airbag deactivation switch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok I tried this in my truck and it came back for the driverside air bag. Now it just keeps flashing that code... how do i get it to stop flashing all togeather???

·
Registered
145 Posts
OMG thank u COZ...
u jus saved me 95 dollas...
P's

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank You Thank You

I just tried this out on my 2004 Frontier. It worked !!!!!!!!!!!

No more annoying blinking light.

Saved me a trip to the dealer....

Thanks again

----Knowledge is power.

·
Registered
76 Posts
this is f-ing awesome!! worked for me too!! thank you my friend!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thank you so much, that saved me a trip to the stealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts