Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone try this? It seems to install in a breeze and simply replaces the stock air box.

I read the claims to be nice sound, 1-2 mpg, and 10-20 HP (airaid has dyno charts that state this... depending on the RPM). Blah blah blah...

What I like about it is it seems to install really easy.

PS: It is only $200.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well nevermind... Airaid is not enclosed.... this is stupid because it will suck in moisture and more dirt, which can lead to engine problems.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
There is a fairly substantial intake thread I beleive. have you looked at that yet?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
There is a fairly substantial intake thread I beleive. have you looked at that yet?
I was thinking the same thing.

Just to give the OP a heads up, the only closed intake is Stillen and Volant. All others are open. Then the difference between those is that Stillen charges a lot for just the box and keeps the stock pipe while Volant replaces the whole system.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Injen too.:) FYI, it is not CARB approved.......yet. :thatswck:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
If one is planning on a snorkel, to keep water, etc out, why change the intake at all? Water will get in the front of the Volant box (ram scoop) which defeats the purpose of the snorkel. Save the money and just put a better flowing filter in the stock airbox.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
If one is planning on a snorkel, to keep water, etc out, why change the intake at all? Water will get in the front of the Volant box (ram scoop) which defeats the purpose of the snorkel. Save the money and just put a better flowing filter in the stock airbox.
You could just plug the hole where the ram scoop goes. Some of the Xterra guys do this.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
This is true but for everyday driving, the ram air scoop may be want they want and while on the trails, they can take the scoop off and block the hole with a spray paint can top or something else. The Volant is the only one that gives them the best of both worlds without changing everything every time they wheel.

In the end thou, it is up to the buyer. We all have opinions and the buyer has to decide which product works best for them.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
FYI there is no real increase in MPG. There is a thread on this somewhere...
And this is all on how you drive. If you put it on and drive exactly the same, then there is a chance of a mpg gain but very minimal.

The only issue with a CAI is that most people that install one end up romping on it a little bit more and thus the zero increase in mpg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The air aid works great I have been through torrential down pours and big snow storms with it and the filter never once was wet. It seals perfectly to the bottom of the hood. It is also a snap to remove if you are worried about dealer servicing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts