Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AirAid Intake arrived today, and I installed it this afternoon. First impressions are good, the materials and construction appear first rate, and after installation a quick run down my favorite street for a butt dyno test proved exciting! Pick-up is defiantly better! Noise is virtually undetectable at normal operating ranges with just a slight growl at WOT. I like it! Even after a couple spirited runs, the mpg gauge was approaching 16 mpg by time I got home, which is really unusual; I’m hoping this is a good sign of better mpg to come. Installation was relatively easy, hindered only by three things, 1st; I was working in the garage with the door closed due to the temp, with less than adequate lighting! This was my fault; the other two are complaints about the design of the AirAid System. The heat shield and MAF Housing went together great, but I wish they would have supplied a clip instead of having you reuse the OEM clip from the top of the air box (although a trip to the dealership’s parts counter will remedy this). I say this for two reasons, 1) it’s a pain to get off the OEM air box and 2) it’s a pain to get on the AirAid heat shield! Lastly, the hose clamp supplied with the kit to secure the filter to the intake was too small! I couldn’t loosen it enough to get the filter over the lip of the intake with the hose clamp in place, and if I took it off and then put the filter on, it was about 1/32 of an inch too short! So, I put a tie strap in it and ran to Advance Auto for a bigger hose clamp. The swap was done in the parking lot and I was on my way! I just filled up with gas on the way home this afternoon, so we’ll see what happens with the commute over the rest of the week to see what the gas mileage is like! I’ve posted some pics of the unit installed in my truck. You’ll notice in one picture I took of the side of the heat shield and how it mates up to the shield on the side of the radiator. It does a pretty good job of isolating the filter from the engine heat. Also, the front of the filter draws air from the front and underside of the truck and the back/bottom of the filter draws air from the fender well using the OEM snorkel and the bottom of the OEM air box. Pretty innovative design! Click on a pic for a larger image!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 4.0 is an awesome engine, it's no wonder there are so many aftermarket goodies coming out for it! I constantly embarrass my buddy, who has a 4.0L V6 in his Ford Ranger, but it only put out 207 HP stock! He's added a ton of aftermarket bolt-on mods, and claims he's up to 235 HP! It's a shame that my starting point was 30 HP above his fully modded rating! With my exhaust and intake I figure I should be somewhere around 270-275 HP at the crank!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Paul I was curious how the intake is doing after about a week. I am thinking about ordering one and would like to know how differently the Frontier drives.

Thanks, Brian N.

05 Frontier Crew SE, six speed :?:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian,

I'm loving it! Gas mileage has improved, acceleration has improved, and it looks awesome! I really didn't notice any significant increase in sound though, but that probably because of the aftermarket exhaust system I have is drowning it out. To me it was the best deal going. Installation is a snap too. I would recommend it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Finally recieved my Airaid today. Just like Paul said the installation was a breeze. It took a few tries but I got the clamp supplied with the filter to work. I do think I will get one of the guys in our shop at work to grab me a larger clamp. Went out for a shake down run and boy does that engine pure at 4k RPMs. I guess my next install might be a dual exhaust once I can save a few dollars. :D

Brian N.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shoot an e-mail to AirAid and tell them you had trouble with the clamp, I did, and two days later I had a larger clamp in the mail, their customer service is awesome! Glad you're enjoying the mod!

Just curious, did it make your engine sound louder? I couldn't tell on mine due to the exhaust!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not really that noticeably at low rpms. When I got around 4000 or so, you can definately hear the engine growling because of the increased air flow. The sound wasn't annoying at all but quit nice rumble. It gave me a big old grin. :eek: I will update after commuting tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After my first commute to work, I am really pleased with the Airaid. The noise factor I've read about with cold air intake isn't an issue. Like I send in my previous post all you hear is a slightly louder growl from the engine breathing a whole lot better. I an curiuos if my mpg will increase a bit. I'll have to do a quite calculation after my next fillup.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
My first impression was there is no sound. Then under full throttle it basically woke the truck up and growled. As for my mileage it looks like 1-2 mpg gain installation was a breeze. If it wasnt for paul, and his review I would not have looked into getting this intake. Just wanna thank paul and dave for there help!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, and your quite welcome! Don't laugh, but I ordered the PowerAid TBS yesterday, it should be here tomorrow or Thursday. It looks like a really easy install on our truck as well. There are about 30 reviews on Autoanything.com and another 20 on AirAid's website, and the majority had positive comments. David said it won't do anything for HP or top end, but should give me back some of the low end torque I lost with the 3" exhaust system. I'm also hoping for some additional increases in gas mileage. This is the new, just released model for the 05/06 V6 Frontier, and David is offering them to members for $90.00 shipped! Autoanything.com wanted $194.99! Anyway, being the curious type of guy I am, I just had to see for myself if this thing works or is just a gimmick! I'll post my impressions once it's on. I'm hoping it will be a nice compliment to the AirAid Intake.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Its looks pretty cool! Im am waiting to see if they will come out with any type of plenum spacer for or truck. I think that the combo of the poweraid and a plenum spacer would really liven up our trucks significantly, it did on my 350z.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm hoping it comes in the mail today, if so I'll have it installed this afternoon! So, what is this Plenum thing? Do you have any pictures? What did it do for your Z?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick Update...

Well, the TBS came today, and it's installed! I took lots of pics as I was doing the install this time, so will post them and a more detailed review later. First impressions, I like it! Installation was a snap, maybe 20 minutes including getting and putting away tools and taking pictures! 1st test drive was just to the gas station to fill-up, but I could feel a difference in the lower mid range! I'm talking from 20 mph to say 45 mph, it felt much more alive! Below 20 mph I didn't notice any difference and I haven't been over 45 mph so it's hard to say. Gas mileage will have to wait and see. Over the past three days she was holding a steady 16.2 MPG, and I reset everything after filling up, so we'll see what the rest of the week and next week brings. It normally takes at least four to five days of my normal commute for the MPG Gauge to settle in and give a consistant reading! More to come later!

·
Registered
75 Posts
StormNISMO said:
I received my intake today!! I have installed it but havent driven it. I did however start it up and rev the engine a little :twisted: !! It sounds really good at higher RPM's.
Mine should be here any time now... since we ordered it the same day.. woohoo!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts