Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a used Airaid Intake from Clips97. Great deal and very easy to install.
I read up on all the opinions regarding CAI's and decided to try and improve on the drawbacks of the Airaid.
Post mod & install test drive - I didn't really notice a decrease in low end power. But will experiment further with Newman's Plexiglas lid mod.

Anyway here is what I did:
First issue was trying keep the cold in CAI. Went to Lowes and got some foil lined, adhesive backed insulation. After a few hours (and hours) of applying the insulation it looked pretty good - although rather NASAesk.

Insulated Airaid

Insulated Stock Bottom

Next up was the silencer mod - NOTE the stock snorkel IS removable, but it aint easy

Next was to add a second snorkel that faced forward similar to the Volant. To do this I got some black 2" black ABS pipe fittings. The 2" just fits in the triangular opening in the front side of the Airaid frame. The insulation filled in the rest of the opening.
I know the off road crowd has strong opinions on low set fwd facing snorkels, but if my 2WD ever gets in water deep enough to ingest water I probably have bigger issues to worry about than hydro-locking my engine.

Here is the Mockup

This is the final snorkel glued and ready. Ended up using a 90 instead of the 2 45s. I used a 2"grate to keep the larger stuff out. Had to paint it as I could only fine it in white PVC.

Fitting the snorkel - radiator baffle removed

Radiator baffle installed

Snorkel inlet as viewed thru the grille.

THE FINISHED PRODUCT

·
Registered
839 Posts
Well done good sir, that looks like quite the setup, I gotta say the NASA look is pretty crazy and the self-made RAM air is even more impressive... congrats!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Voodoo,
After driving a bit more I do notice a dead spot around 2k rpm. Also got my worst MPG EVER after install! Real hard to keep my foot out of it So far next tank is looking better.

Working on a "velocity stack" out of a 2" to 3" adapter to make the RAM air a bit more effective.
Love this black ABS pipe! No need to paint and better yet re-paint!

Did some temp checks today - All highway to and from work
Average ambient 57.5° and intake 65.3° giving a delta of 7.8°
Average ambient 83.7° and intake 92.3° giving a delta of 8.7°
Overall delta ave of 8.25°

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just finished adding my "velocity stack" to the snorkel.
To keep out leaves, small birds, etc I used a leaf screen for a gutter downspout. Cut it short and bent excess over a ridge in the 2-3" adapter to keep it in place.
After some cutting and fitting of the 2-3" adapter it fit like a glove.

Since adding the vel stack my ave delta temp (Intake-Ambient) dropped to 5.5°

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Im glad Im not the only freek on this site...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow that is genius I love it, you were able to get a great fit. Looks even better than the volant air duct. I'm definitely thinking about doing the same for my K&N FIPK. Would be pretty cool to get one of the fiberglass ram hoods from danshoods and run a scoop like volant does for the tacoma. So I would just have to build a top for my air box sealing it for the ram scoop, and get a pre-filter. What do you think? I will at least be doing the insulation, since the thin metal air box doesn't do much for a "cold" air intake.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Im glad Im not the only freek on this site...
LOL I haven't been called a freak in over 30 years! ;-)
Wow that is genius I love it, you were able to get a great fit. Looks even better than the volant air duct. I'm definitely thinking about doing the same for my K&N FIPK. Would be pretty cool to get one of the fiberglass ram hoods from danshoods and run a scoop like volant does for the tacoma. So I would just have to build a top for my air box sealing it for the ram scoop, and get a pre-filter. What do you think? I will at least be doing the insulation, since the thin metal air box doesn't do much for a "cold" air intake.
I have not posted pics yet, but I did add a lid like Newmann did and got rid of the dead spot around 2k rpms. For now it is a thin piece of sheet metal, but wanted to use diamond plate to dress it up.
I thought about a prefilter on the ram inlet, but never got around to it. 99.999% of my driving is on-road, I think I turned around once in a field ;-)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Lol, OK I guess we are both old and do insanely complicated things to achieve our objectives. Engineer, Craftsman, Military? or as my family likes to call me....a Jew

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
That's some good old fashioned ingenuity put to use there, very creative.
Nice work, great write up too, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ Camperguy
Engineer, never pass up the opportunity to over design the hell out of a one off!
@ ToddG
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Whats the silver tape supposed to do?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Nice Idea, Wouldnt be bad to insulate even other brands. Any temp readings inside and outside the box? what are the savings 5-10 degree?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Whats the silver tape supposed to do?
Tape alone would reflect some heat, this is ~1/8 foam with a foil liner. Its insulation.
Find it in the AC section at Lowes.

Nice Idea, Wouldnt be bad to insulate even other brands. Any temp readings inside and outside the box? what are the savings 5-10 degree?
Thanks BluJAy
Unfortunately I did not do any before and after temp comparisons. To be honest I think the gains would be less than 5, no more than 10. But the material was cheap. The Ram air snorkel and closing the top yield the biggest gains.

·
Registered
88 Posts
quick question

First off, i love the mod :goodjob:and really want to do this to my 07, i just have two quick ?'s.... i popped the hood and looked behind my radiator baffle and there is a silver cyinder (about 3" diameter and about 5-6" tall) right where the ram air would go, any idea what this is and if/where it can be moved? ( I can post pictures when i get home if necessary) 2nd question: did you have to move the horn at all? thanks in advance for any information!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine has the same cylinder - my RAM air plumbing goes around it - I don't recall if it is in any pics. Look them over again and let me know if need to add a pic

EDIT
Look at pics again mine is black not silver

·
Registered
88 Posts
Double checked

I double checked your pics and compared mine, i noticed a slight difference, on your truck that cylinder is mounted on the front of the radiator, in my truck it is mounted on the side of the radiator (could have been a slight change from 06 to 07 or b/c mine truck is a 6spd), the first pic is from behind the baffle looking down from on top of the airbox, and the second is of the front of the baffle. I appreciate all of your help, and your quick response!!

THANK YOU AGAIN

EDIT: Mine is black as well in the front it just looks as if the black paint has worn off in the rear

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts