Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I have run k&n filters with no problems in vehicles I have owned. Never had any problems with the oil or messing up the maf sensor. I switched to the AEM dry flow filter, because the ease of cleaning and one less step over the K&N.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I second the K&N. Had one in my 2010 King Cab and it paid for itself the first year because I was driving a lot of miles back then. Going to get one for the 2016. Sounds a bit better than stock, but doesn't give you any more power, though I got about 1/2 - 1 MPG improvement.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I second the K&N. Had one in my 2010 King Cab and it paid for itself the first year because I was driving a lot of miles back then. Going to get one for the 2016. Sounds a bit better than stock, but doesn't give you any more power, though I got about 1/2 - 1 MPG improvement.
Should of kept the one from the 2010.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Interesting, your the first to proclaim an increase in MPG's, did you record mileage an gas purchases, or just look at your tripmeter.And do you have any idea which it is you got 1/2 or 1 mpg, thats a 100% difference, How much hp do you think you lost with this mileage gain?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting, your the first to proclaim an increase in MPG's, did you record mileage an gas purchases, or just look at your tripmeter.And do you have any idea which it is you got 1/2 or 1 mpg, thats a 100% difference, How much hp do you think you lost with this mileage gain?
Good, old-fashioned use of the odometer and a calculator. My driving was long-distance freeway commuting from San Bernardino to Los Angeles. Going from a consistent 20MPG to 21MPG is a five percent increase, though 1 MPG doesn't seem like much. I never put the truck on a dyno so I can't attest to horsepower changes, though I doubt that the K&N replacement filter would result in anything significant anyway. All that said, though, dropping $50 for a permanent air filter that I was cleaning monthly (I changed oil once a month because of all the driving) instead of dropping $15 for a filter every other oil change more than paid for the filter very quickly.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
i use the drop in K&N (not cold air intake system) and has worked great, no issues.... speaking of which i could prolly take it out and clean it LOL i think i put it in around 1k miles... 4 years later at 37k.... looked at it a year ago and was surprisingly REALLY clean still.... crazy cuz it gets really dusty in tahoe

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
4 years later at 37k.... looked at it a year ago and was surprisingly REALLY clean still.... crazy cuz it gets really dusty in tahoe
Not crazy, your seeing that despite living in a dusty enviroment, your filter is just letting the dust pass through,your observation is just proof of the failings of a woven cloth oiled filter.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Not crazy, your seeing that despite living in a dusty enviroment, your filter is just letting the dust pass through,your observation is just proof of the failings of a woven cloth oiled filter.
If this were the case, his truck would run like crap and not get better mpg.

First mod I did on mine was a drop in kn filter. Year later I switched to a full Volant system. Ran that for two years, year ago I switched back to OEM housing and drop in KN. With changes in my driving style in the two years, my mpg is up on average 1.5 mpg. I run KN filters in both vehicles, as well as for cabin filters. As for how well they work, both vehicles, the cabin filters were so choked full, the a/c systems didn't work right. Both engine filters were choked full too.

Now, my wife's Buick gets about 3k miles per year, my Frontier gets about 28,000 per year. In the process if cleaning all the filters, I also pulled the intakes to look at the TB assembly. Neither vehicle had a dirty TB intake, which goes against the claim that it allows dirt through.

Further, if as you say they allow so much dirt through, shouldn't the interiors be full of dirt? My Frontier, during the week is parked in a dirt lot, next to a sand/gravel pit, on the weekend i drive my Frontier 8 to 9 hrs straight for Lyft with either the a/c or heat on, I rarely see dust coming out the vents. The Buick used to sit in dirt lot for 10 hrs a day, interior stays clean.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
K&N costs 2-3x more
K&N you also have to buy the cleaning spray
K&N you also have to buy the re-oiling fluid
K&N now you have another thing to periodically maintain for it to work properly
K&N standalone "performance gains" are marginal on a stock engine

OEM paper costs less
OEM paper has no extra costs
OEM paper has no extra labor
OEM can be swapped out in 30 seconds
OEM "performance loss" doesn't exist
OEM needs no prep or maintenance

Good, old-fashioned use of the odometer and a calculator. My driving was long-distance freeway commuting from San Bernardino to Los Angeles. Going from a consistent 20MPG to 21MPG is a five percent increase, though 1 MPG doesn't seem like much. I never put the truck on a dyno so I can't attest to horsepower changes, though I doubt that the K&N replacement filter would result in anything significant anyway. All that said, though, dropping $50 for a permanent air filter that I was cleaning monthly (I changed oil once a month because of all the driving) instead of dropping $15 for a filter every other oil change more than paid for the filter very quickly.
+/- 1-mpg can be gained/lost in our trucks simply by changing throttle management. You've had your truck for a while now, you should know this

- Your monetary savings is based on the fact that you're wasting money due to not following the service intervals in the first place. The recommended interval for air filter replacement is every 30,000 miles or every 3 years (or every 6 oil changes):

Nissan Frontier Service Intervals (Severe Conditions*)
5,000 or 6 months oil and oil filter / rotate tires
10,000 or 12 months oil and oil filter / rotate tires / brake fluid
15,000 or 18 months oil and oil filter / rotate tires / cabin filter
20,000 or 24 months oil and oil filter / rotate tires / brake fluid
25,000 or 30 months oil and oil filter / rotate tires
30,000 or 36 months oil and oil filter / rotate tires / cabin filter / air filter

*my reply does not apply if you actually are clocking in 15,000 miles a month. :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
Further, if as you say they allow so much dirt through, shouldn't the interiors be full of dirt? My Frontier, during the week is parked in a dirt lot, next to a sand/gravel pit, on the weekend i drive my Frontier 8 to 9 hrs straight for Lyft with either the a/c or heat on, I rarely see dust coming out the vents. T
Engine air filter has nothing to do with what goes into the cab.
BTW are you aware that your truck has a separate cabin filter?

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Engine air filter has nothing to do with what goes into the cab.
BTW are you aware that your truck has a separate cabin filter?
Apparently, your reading comprehension, not very good. I stated that I have a KN Air filter and KN Cabin Filters.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
K&N costs 2-3x more
K&N you also have to buy the cleaning spray
K&N you also have to buy the re-oiling fluid
K&N now you have another thing to periodically maintain for it to work properly
K&N standalone "performance gains" are marginal on a stock engine

OEM paper costs less
OEM paper has no extra costs
OEM paper has no extra labor
OEM can be swapped out in 30 seconds
OEM "performance loss" doesn't exist
OEM needs no prep or maintenance

+/- 1-mpg can be gained/lost in our trucks simply by changing throttle management. You've had your truck for a while now, you should know this

- Your monetary savings is based on the fact that you're wasting money due to not following the service intervals in the first place. The recommended interval for air filter replacement is every 30,000 miles or every 3 years (or every 6 oil changes):

Nissan Frontier Service Intervals (Severe Conditions*)
5,000 or 6 months oil and oil filter / rotate tires
10,000 or 12 months oil and oil filter / rotate tires / brake fluid
15,000 or 18 months oil and oil filter / rotate tires / cabin filter
20,000 or 24 months oil and oil filter / rotate tires / brake fluid
25,000 or 30 months oil and oil filter / rotate tires
30,000 or 36 months oil and oil filter / rotate tires / cabin filter / air filter

*my reply does not apply if you actually are clocking in 15,000 miles a month. :cool:
KN Air filter $49.99, good for 1 million miles if properly cared for

OEM Nissan Filter $7.99 good for 30k miles
Gram Air Filter $14.99 good for 30k miles

KN cleaning kit $14.99 good for 5 +/- cleanings.

Assuming most people drive these trucks 150k miles, that's 5 filter changes, you'll break even.

NOW, let's toss a variable into this. Do a lot of off-roading or time in dusty conditions, that 30k filter life may be greatly reduced, depending, by half. I do 28k to 30k annually, I check my filter every oil change and ofyen clean it twice a year depending on how dirty it is.

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
Apparently, your reading comprehension, not very good. I stated that I have a KN Air filter and KN Cabin Filters.
Apparently, it's good enough that I can read the Nissan factory service schedule. (y) :cool:

Just to be clear I just stated some facts with the K&N / OEM list. I never said one was better than the other because in the end, it's up to the user what is better for them and how they use their vehicles. I change my air filter and cabin filters twice a year myself which is still earlier than recommended... but not as overkill as what that other guy does :)

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
I replace the paper air filter in my 08 Pathfinder around 45K miles and even then I can still see light through it. I have an aFe Momentum GT CAI system in my 06 Pathfinder with the dry filter and it's still relatively clean after 50K miles. These trucks don't seem to get a lot of dirt up to the filter unless you're really in some extremely dusty conditions or muddy off-roading. If you primarily stay on paved roads and highways, the filters last a long time before needing to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Especially the 4 banger, my 2.5L has an airfilter thats as big as the one in my old 5.9L cummins diesel. But for 10 bucks I still change it every April with all the other filters, and it is a bit wasteful as I only put 4-5K miles a year on the little bugger,

21 - 38 of 38 Posts