Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
when i first got my 2016 i had the drop in K&N as you can easily clean them and re oil them cheap. they pay for themselves after 2 filter changes. they are decent priced and last a lifetime. they will even replace them for free if they happen to fail or fall apart or something for life. K&N have great customer service I have gone to a AFE Cold Air intake since

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
What's a good air filter for my 16' Pro4X? K&N? Thanks.
Any paper filter will work well. There was a research pap er i resd a while back and unless you operate in very dusty conditions a paper one does fine for 12mos/12k miles.
If you run an oiled filter, remember to clean the maf sensor regularly. The oil from the filter can foul the hot wire.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on an air filter.
All you need to accomplish is to keep the road sand and trash out of the intake.
I'd skip the $3 one, but any of the others will be fine.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
I’ve always used paper ones and keep at least two on hand so I never come up empty handed. Tear the flap off the new filters box, write down the date and mileage it was changed at then check it at each oil change. Usually a year and 12,000 miles is good.

Clint

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I check my air filter regularly for wear and debris loading. If it looks bad in either metric, I change it out. It has been over 5 years since I last changed the filter.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Ive had both a kn drop in and a Volant CAI system. Last fall i pulled the volant system and went back to stock housing with kn filter. I clean my kn twice a year, but I drive a lot.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are some good youtube vids that test airflow and filtration. They are interesting.

As for me? I picked up an STP air filter as it was a bundled deal with oil and oil filter. I can't say whether it's the best, but it works just fine so far. Before I purchased the Frontier I had Fords (still do) and always ran motorcraft air filters. They worked fine to.

K&N might work as well, but they let a lot of debris in with that extra airflow. Whether that debris is a problem is a debate all it's own.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've been running K&Ns for near 30 yrs and never had any issues with debris sneaking through them, nor with any sensor failures related to the mythical "oiled filters cause failures". YMMV

Reactions: Colo.Frontier

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been running K&Ns for near 30 yrs and never had any issues with debris sneaking through them, nor with any sensor failures related to the mythical "oiled filters cause failures". YMMV
totally agree. people forget that k&N filters are not maintenance free filters. you need to clean and always have the properly oiled. a properly oiled filter does not allow debris through. I have run them in every vehicle i have ever owned.. on road and offroad. my last 2002 Nissan Frontier i bought brand new in 02 ran one from day one. 14 years later and 230k miles later i pulled the heads to replace the head gaskets and absolutely no evidence on cylinder walls of any debris entering. but hey i think its more of a to each their own kinda thing. I could MAYYYYYYBE see a sensor error is soneone like WAY WAY WAY over oiled their filter.. maybe but even then i doubt it.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Audi, BMW, MB are notorious for finicky MAF sensors, ran KN on my wife's twin turbo Audi for 10 yrs with no problems, just follow instructions. I think, on 90% of the cases, the failures and issues have been user caused.

Edited and added "no"

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
what kind of problems did you have with that audi?
MAF sensors were very testy, over oiling the filter would trip the code. You learned to fully dry the filter, oil it, then let it fully dry before installing and driving the car. If the filter was still wet and you got on it hard, it would throw a code.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts