Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am a serious diesel guy. My Frontier is the first gas powered vehicle I have owned in many, many years (other than my Nova SS toy). In the diesel world, clean air is everything. In the desert there is mucho dust which is another problem I have. Diesels use serious volumes of air even at idle, so having an absolutely sealed intake system is an obvious must. In my 7.3l diesel, I yanked the airbox out because Ford had a lousy airbox and you could get the cover on and still suck unfiltered air. Donaldson built a new box which is called the AIS filter using technology borrowed from the Abrams tank. Alright, so I am a clean air intake fanatic!

So yesterday, I started looking at the filtration system on my V6 in the Frontier. I noticed that I could see a little of the orange of the filter seal, yet the airbox was hooked up correctly! YIKES!!! So I uninstalled the airbox and took it into the shop. I laid a straight edge across the edge on the bottom of the airbox that was nearest the engine block. It was no longer straight, rather it had a bow outward near the center of the side (where the middle plastic pin engages). What caused this warping of the bottom of the airbox? I don't know, could care less. The airbox could have warped due to engine heat, the previous owner might have bent it...don't know). So here is what I did to repair the airbox. I took a wood clamp and squeezed the airbox just a hair until the bowed side of the airbox was parallel to my straight edge. Then I gently heated both the interior and exterior of the box with a heat gun on low until the side of the box was pretty warm. Then I took the airbox and hosed it down with water. Took the clamp off and it was dead-straight again. Reinstalled and all is well, for now. What's the point? Well, maybe the airbox on someone else's truck has warped and needs to be fixed, but how would you know if you didn't look very closely. If my airbox warps again, I will be looking at an aftermarket setup...I do believe Nissan dropped the ball on the airbox design, but that is just an opinion.

·
Super Moderator
11,247 Posts
If the seal is making contact all around the perimeter it's fine as it's filtered air. I'm on my fourth Nissan 4.0, all previous 4 went well over 100,000 miles and none had any engine issues. Go enjoy your truck, it was still fine before your repair.

Clint

1 - 3 of 3 Posts