Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is a strange one. Driving to work last week from TN to MI with the AC on auto temp set at 68 degree and about half way there do I notice that it's getting warmer in the truck and the fan speed is increasing itself trying to keep up. Slowly but surely the temp in the truck is creeping up. I tried various setting closing the recirc and switching it to manual etc and nothing is making any difference. The fan is blowing out the vents real strong so one would think it is not a clogged filter or frozen evap coil. While it is indeed hot outside I'm driving north so it is cooler in IN than it was when I left the house in TN. I stop to get gas and look under the hood and can't see or hear anything abnormal, clutch is kicked in and the electric fan is kicking on/off etc. Anyway I keep driving and like I said the AC is just not blowing really cold and struggling to keep up. Night falls and I'm in MI as the outside temp drops the AC eventually seems to catch up and drops the fan down to 2 bars as per the norm...

To which I bring the truck to a dealer in Muskegon MI and the first thing I'm told is that Nissan does not cover freon loss unless they find an actual leak or some manf defect and that I will be responsible for the evac and recharge (160.00) unless there is an actual underlying cause found etc. The Service Writer says that this would be under normal routine maintenance and upkeep. I'm at a loss to accept this as a truck purchased early November 2016 should not be in need of any AC service. Anyway I left the truck and told them to get it checked out and that they could keep it for 3 weeks, as I'll be aboard ship until then.

Contacted Nissan about this and they have turned it over to a regional rep who is to get back with me on this ASAP...

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
The Service Writer says that this would be under normal routine maintenance and upkeep.
What utter b*llsh*t.

Either they didn't put enough in at the factory, or it's leaking out somewhere.

Either way, that's a defect - and their responsibility to fix.

·
Super Moderator
11,716 Posts
What a line of crap, my last Frontier still had ice cold air at 126,000 miles and 7 years old.
I've never had to add to any modern vehicles air conditioning system.

Clint

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a line of crap, my last Frontier still had ice cold air at 126,000 miles and 7 years old.
I've never had to add to any modern vehicles air conditioning system.

Clint
This is why I already contacted Nissan directly as I'm not warm and fuzzy about the comments....

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
They usually say stuff like that to cover their *** "just in case." While a defective part, like a seal, should be covered, there are times when things aren't covered due to what's referred to as "acts of god." For example, let's say they check out the system and find there's a small leak in the A/C condenser core due to a rock or road debris impacting it. In that particular case, it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Of course, there's no way for them to say what's wrong until they actually look at the problem and isolate the cause.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They usually say stuff like that to cover their *** "just in case." While a defective part, like a seal, should be covered, there are times when things aren't covered due to what's referred to as "acts of god." For example, let's say they check out the system and find there's a small leak in the A/C condenser core due to a rock or road debris impacting it. In that particular case, it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Of course, there's no way for them to say what's wrong until they actually look at the problem and isolate the cause.
No in my opinion is is a crappy way of fleecing the customer out of money with poor service... If it were a rock damaged cond coil I would not expect that to be covered under warranty. To be told up front that Nissan does not cover evac and recharge unless a real defect/problem is found is a great way for them to pass the buck onto the customer without actually fixing the problem. The system could have been short charged from the factory or have a minute undetectable leak anywhere in the system to which the customer is stuck paying the bill and wondering when the problem will return. This truck was built 8/16 and purchased 11/16 and this was one of the first things I mentioned to the service writer.

·
Super Moderator
11,716 Posts
My brother in law had an electrical issue on his Frontier and the tech narrowed it down to a wire in the harness but they claimed warranty wouldn't cover fixing a wire because a wire isn't covered but the harness is.
So he said so dismantle the whole truck and change the harness, they opened the harness, replaced the wire banded it back together and sent him on his way, no charge. The truck was fine for six more years and he sold it.
Dealers have no common sense most times.
They also think they, not mama nissan make the rules.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
My brother in law had an electrical issue on his Frontier and the tech narrowed it down to a wire in the harness but they claimed warranty wouldn't cover fixing a wire because a wire isn't covered but the harness is.
So he said so dismantle the whole truck and change the harness, they opened the harness, replaced the wire banded it back together and sent him on his way, no charge. The truck was fine for six more years and he sold it.
Dealers have no common sense most times.
They also think they, not mama nissan make the rules.

Clint
That's just a case where the service department or their warranty administrator doesn't know how to do their job. I've repaired plenty of wires under warranty. All they had to do is use the part number of the harness as the primary failed part number, have the tech document what the repair involved and have time punches for the times he worked on the vehicle. Then, he just had to call Nissan technical hotline, explain the problem and get an incident number to put on the repair. It would be charged to Nissan as straight time labor repair. Nissan would much rather pay for a couple hours of diagnostic work and have the tech fix a wire than pay for the cost of an electrical harness plus more labor for replacing it, rather than repair the original one. It's no different for squeak and rattle repairs, which are covered for 12 months/12000 miles. Let's say a customer brings a vehicle in because of a squeaking noise when going over bumps and the technician finds a bracket to the fender isn't as tight as it should be. He spends an hour to duplicate, diagnose and repair the problem, which consists of removing a wheel liner and tightening a bracket. The primary failed part number used is the fender and is submitted to Nissan as a straight time repair. The technician isn't going to replace the fender to fix the job, obviously, because even though that's the part that was the problem, it didn't require replacement of that part to fix the problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Called the service dept yesterday and thus far they claim that the tech checks by driving it every day and as of yet can't get it to act up again... Kind of what I expected them to say this as it seemed to work fine the day I brought it in. But I'm not crazy or stupid and know how to operate an AC unit and it was indeed not working properly driving to work, oh well least it is going to be documented.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
As this was 4 yrs ago, I'm assuming he either fixed this already or sold the truck, but .............
This may sounds nuts but have you checked the condition of both your battery cable terminals and all your underhood grounds? The auto AC system is just that, another small computer with a brain that labours under the load of trying to think what needs to be done next to keep the temp as close to commanded as possible. Any number of weird things happen when power isn't stable, and these trucks seem to be real real real sensitive to such variations, especially when the symptoms "appear" to be intermittent.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I know its an old post, but I had a similar issue in my 2005 where the A/C just seem to stop cooling one day. Compressor clutch was engaging, system had pressure and no leaks were found, electric fan was not kicking in and I thought that was my problem, fan did operate with the IPDM self-test. Had my friend check high and low pressures and both checked within range. I decided to replace the pressure transducer on the passenger side of condenser, since a while back my Sister's Titan had this part failed were condenser fan did not kicked in and it solved it. That seemed to be the problem as well, I replaced the pressure sensor and recharged system. It now has been working back blowing cold as it was!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.