Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, havent posted in a very very long time, but I still love this board as a great resource for a great truck... anyways

Im having issues with my air conditioning, which isnt much fun in the summer heat :(
I searched the forums and couldnt find this same issue with other people's truck.

So when the fan control dial is in the '1' position AC light and unit turns on, but the fan doesnt blow air, and if I switch AC off, still no air blows.

when in the '2' position it blows air, but the AC light turns off, there is a little tick which I assume is the AC unit turning off and the air warms up quickly

same with 3, and 4 positions. No AC, but the air blows.

The truck has 70k miles on it, and the AC has been fine until today

I really appreciate any advice you guys could give!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Diagnosing A/C problems like you're having gets pretty involved pretty quick. If you're handy with a multimeter and have patience, I'd suggest getting a factory service manual and running through all it's troubleshooting steps to try and isolate the problem(s). But looking at all the troubleshooting steps, it looks quite time-intensive.

Otherwise, it might be something for the dealer to take a crack at.

Here's a link to downloadable factory service manuals:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/frontier-service-manuals-available-download-46290/

Good luck.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If it were an older model, I'd check the fan resistor usually located under the right dash near the fan in the ductwork. Sounds like the "low" resistor may be burned out. Compressor not operating in higher speeds doesn't compute, however.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
I had the same issue last summer in my 05. Happened while I was driving across country. Would only work on fan speed #1 with the air conditioner working. Anything higher and the a/c would turn off. I read some of the stuff out with the multi meter. The fan resistor was fine. It started working again and then it just went away. The a/c worked fine all the way until I sold it a few months ago. I rememebr looking at the schematics while I was troubleshooting it and the only thing I didn't check was a relay in the IPM (intelligent power module) it's in the engine bay, with all the fuses in it. There's a relay inside of that thing. I never did go any further because it started working again. It's a lot cooler here though and the problem seemed to happen when the temp was above 88-90 degrees. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice! ill check that out!
yea im in Los Angeles, its around 80-100 this summer...

I was thinking about possibly needing to change out the mirco filter too? the smog in the city and the recent fires arent helping it stay clear, and i have yet to change it in the 70k+ miles

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was thinking about possibly needing to change out the mirco filter too? the smog in the city and the recent fires arent helping it stay clear, and i have yet to change it in the 70k+ miles
I just changed mine for the first time yesterday at 13k. Based on what it looked like - I don't want to see yours!:vomit:

Got mine from RockAuto - it actually comes in two pieces.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright so i took out my micro filter, it was pretty dirty, I ran the car without it in and there was no change to the air conditioning...
same as before no flow with 1 but the AC turns on, then no AC on 2, 3, or 4 but the air blows...

getting some new filters and a read out tomorrow at autozone... updates will fallow

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
so i switched out the incabin filter. and autozone no longer does readouts, I was driving from SF bay to LA and around monterey the service engine soon light turned off....

the AC is still acting the same, a couple of times i've had it in the '1' position and switch it to '4' and the AC light stays on, the air blows cold for a while, then the light flickers, and eventually turns off...

also when i turn the recycle air on it blows air on the feet... is that normal? im thinking it has to be that IPM

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
It would be nice if people told the rest of a story instead of leaving us wondering.....

Clint

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds like a problem with either the switch or the relay (under the hood there is a relay array). I'd check the relay first to see if it is malfunctioning, especially since the switch still changes the fan speed. Also just to be thorough, check your fuses as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yo dudes, sorry to bounce.

I have still yet to solve this problem. I have been waiting to save up some dough to get it fixed along with the next major service. I am going to take it into the dealership

I was trying to see if there is a 3rd party car service place that specializes in nissan in SO CAL?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts