Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done any modifications to the stock airbox? I have a few ideas in the making, to get more air into the box.
I have read one post where some one wanted to add a pipe up to the front.
Just curious if this improves performance & gas milage.
I just have a hard time spending a few hundred bucks on a CAI, & this does not seem cost effective.

·
Registered
631 Posts
There is a mod where, especially on big square airboxes like the frontiers, you can cut a hole in the top or side ( i recommend side) and mount a marine deck plate into it. these deck plates have a circular piece that can screw out and let more air in... HOWEVER... this mod was/is for 2nd and first Gen Tacos and Runners which do NOT have a stock CAI ( like the frontier) so by doing this mod, you might be hurting you performance by creating a port release instead of the vaccume effect.

ill see if i can find the link to the write up, and you can decide for yourself

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I am afraid of. I don't want to create a vacuum or vortex in the airbox & ruin the airflow.
Then I also have thought if I can have enough air inside the box, the filter should straighten the airflow out.
Where are our engineers at?

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
pretty sure somebody on here cut out half the bottom of his airbox and a bunch of others cut off the silencer tube inside the airbox to reduce the restriction.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poor Mans CAI

I Have made the modifications to my air box. This is a real easy project, with minimal expense.
I used Schedule 40 PVC pipe , that I threaded the end, about 1 1/4" of threads . I made a screen out of a 2 liter bottle carrying case, that can be found in many dumpsters behind convenient stores. The nuts that I have are from the electrical dept. of home depot. I used a roto-zip to remove the thread stop on the inside nut. The airbox was drilled out with a 2 3/8" hole saw. Project time= 1 hour.

I took a short test drive after the installation, & the engine has a nice growl at WOT, that was not there before. Yes, I have modified my silencer tube

I am going to run the stock air filter for two tanks of gas, to see if fuel economy has improved or remained the same. I will then switch to a K&N air filter.

I will post my results.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I removed my silencer a few months ago. It has a sweet growl with the K&N along with a little more pep and slightly better fuel economy. See attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts
I hacked out the inner part of the tube plus most of the front panel of the air box. No change in MPG, however I ended up with a decent amount of sound. If you want pics I will post them.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Seems like a pretty simple mod to let more air in. Wondering if it would help even more to use a larger tube or add a 2nd tube to the right?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nismo54 said:
Seems like a pretty simple mod to let more air in. Wondering if it would help even more to use a larger tube or add a 2nd tube to the right?
There is room to add another tube on the right side of the box.

·
Registered
838 Posts
i was one of the guys that suggested a ram air system. unfortunately, i decided to squash the project, but not entirely. now, i am thinking about running a box/pipe behind the upper grille to the side wall where the oem intake is feeding itself currently and blowing a 3" hole to provide some real fresh air.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not sure if you lot cvan get a Snorkle in the states.

Down here it helps keep the water and dust out of the engine but lifting the intake point up to roof level.
Also adds a bit of a air ram effect but with the desiel it's not a huge difference.

the origional air intake is blanked off and a new side hole cut out, all the piping is inside the guard so I cant get pics of it but it is about 3 1/2 inches diameter same as the snorkle itself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah bro definitely cut the silencer out. I like it because it distributes the air evenly over the filter instead of getting one side of the filter dirty as hell.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Echelon said:
Yeah bro definitely cut the silencer out. I like it because it distributes the air evenly over the filter instead of getting one side of the filter dirty as hell.
It is cut out. look at the pictures of my airbox. I added the pipe on the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
ChuckFrontier06 said:
Looks like you're gearing up for some deep water fording.
When the time comes

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far, So good. I have a increase of .25 MPG & the performance is a noticeable increase.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Finally had a few minutes and some nice weather to try this out. I cut the inner part of the silencer tube off today, flush with the side of the airbox. Bevelled the edges nice and smooth and cleaned it all out. Took the truck for a 20 mile ride and noticed a whole lotof ...nothing. No difference in power(as far as a butt dyno goes) and there was no increase in sound. I am hoping this will help out the Airraid CAI I'm thinking of getting next month.

·
Registered
214 Posts
kevin01 said:
I Have made the modifications to my air box. This is a real easy project, with minimal expense.
I used Schedule 40 PVC pipe , that I threaded the end, about 1 1/4" of threads . I made a screen out of a 2 liter bottle carrying case, that can be found in many dumpsters behind convenient stores. The nuts that I have are from the electrical dept. of home depot. I used a roto-zip to remove the thread stop on the inside nut. The airbox was drilled out with a 2 3/8" hole saw. Project time= 1 hour.

Kev, What size PVC pipe did you use. 2" ?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
With that pvc idea in mind, I looked at mine and saw that you could have extended it up to the front grill and made it a forced air intake.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.