Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I disconnected the driver side airbag when I was doing some work on my truck. I followed the steps for disconnecting and reconnecting as outlined in the Haynes manual and now the airbag light will not stop flashing. Everything was functioning properly before I disconnected.

I went through the steps to disconnect and reconnect a second time and the light still flashes. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? oh, this is a 98/4cyl/2wd

Thanks for any input,
timmy

·
Registered
233 Posts
Keep the drivers door open. Turn the key to the ON position and before the light starts to flash push the door switch with your finger 7 times. Pull the key out. Then start it up and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. I found this post with google as well. I tried it a couple of times - but no dice. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

·
Registered
890 Posts
you could try pullin your battery cable for a few min

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried that this past weekend. I disconnected the pos and neg cables from the battery for well over 30 minutes.

I also tried the method in the "pesky airbag light" thread again this morning. Still no luck.

Maybe I'll just have to live with it. I don't want to pay the dealer for a diagnostic test for that annoying light.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

·
Registered
250 Posts
See if you can find a factory service manual somewhere (it took me less than 5 minutes to find one for your truck - hint hint). In it is a procedure to put the airbag system into a diagnostic mode and then count the blinks of the light to tell you why it's not happy and then look it up in a table and possible things to try to fix it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
that method worked for me but i noticed when you go to start it up you have to leave it in the "on" position for a second or two before you start it up. (3.3 liter)

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have an '02 with the same prob. Just flashing airbag light. My fix was a small piece of electrical tape. When I went to the dealer they told me the battery thing and when It didn't work I did it my way!! Worx great now!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
For Future Use!

1) Turn Key to On Position
2) Watch airbag light and as soon as it goes away (start of blinking mode) turn key OFF
3) Count to 5 (1 mississippi, 2 miss, etc.)
4) REPEAT THAT STEP 3 TIMES
5) Turn key to on Position (you should see the light blink very slowly now) its in Diagnostics mode.
6) Turn key off
7) Start Truck, light should go off in about 15 or so seconds

·
Registered
34 Posts
For Future Use!

2) Watch airbag light and as soon as it goes away (start of blinking mode) turn key OFF
5) Turn key to on Position (you should see the light blink very slowly now) its in Diagnostics mode.
6) Turn key off
This works, however, on Step 7, I started the truck and the light kept blinking as it did before. So the next time I tried just turning the key to ON, waiting about 30 seconds, then the light went off. Started the truck to make sure, and it did stay off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
oh my gosh!! that worked, i have a 2000 xe that i just got about 2 months ago and the dealer said it was probably a clock spring.... whatever that is? but i just did the door switch method and it worked. i thought this guys was gonna tell me to stand on one leg, juggle two balls, and rub my belly if that didn't work. but seriously THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
For Future Use!

6) Turn key off
I have a 2005 and it worked great for me after a couple of trys....lol. It finally worked when i closed my drivers door (maybee i just finally did it right but it wouldn't hurt). Just make sure you turn key all they way to on without starting and all the way to off each time, no need to take key out. Also make it a full 5 seconds, nissan said it takes 7 but a full 5 worked great, and after the 3rd time still wait that 5 seconds before the final on

·
Registered
106 Posts
So I'm wondering if the Air Bag Light is kind of like the CEL... if you reset the CEL and the problem that threw the code is still there it'll just turn back on after you reset it. If you reset the air bag light and it still sees the problem won't it just turn back on?

On mine, in diagnostic mode, it flashes 8 times which indicates a problem with the passenger air bag. Here is what the factory service manual says about the number of flashes just in case anyone wanted to know:

2: Driver air bag circuit malfunctioning
6: Crash zone sensor malfunctioning
7: Air bag diagnosis sensor unit malfunctioning
8: Passenger air bag module circuit is malfunctioning
9: Passenger air bag deactivation switch status is not identified
10: Passenger air bag deactivation switch is malfunctioning
11: Passenger air bag deactivation switch indicator is malfunctioning

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yep... if there's still a problem it'll come back on. Have you disconnected your passenger air bag switch from the trim panel that surrounds the radio?

Heath

·
Registered
106 Posts
In my truck the air bag light has been on since before I bought the truck a year ago and I finally decided to get my hands dirty with that one today. I noticed on all the forums that everyone seems to just kind of "reset" the light and I don't see a lot of discussion about what caused the light to come on in the first place. So I just wanted to check to make sure I didn't have any major problem I'd just ignore just to turn off that blinking light.

Any way, for me I disconnected the passenger side module and plugged it back in. Then followed the instructions here and on the factory service manual to perform diagnostics and reset the light, and it didn't come back on. Hooray!

·
Registered
106 Posts
So... I removed the bonnet over the instrument cluster today and had to unplug the passenger air bag indicator light... started the truck back up and the light is flashing again. It was a good two days without that light on though!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts