Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the air bag controller recall notice in the mail last Monday. I immediately called the dealer and arranged to take it in this morning.

Arrived at the dealer a few minutes ahead of my appt. Expected an hour to hour and a half, as per the service advisor. Surprise! It took about 15 minutes. I like that kind of surprise. :) The service advisor said it was one of the easiest software upgrades they had done.

I suspect my truck was one of the first, if not THE first, to be done at this dealer. Good to know it was quick and simple.

Bill Gee

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got one of those yesterday. I was dreading going in for the same reason you stated but if mine is as quick as yours I might get that done in the next few days.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a 2005 and it doesn't show the airbag recall. It does show a recall for the lower link service parts, never knew about that and the recall was issued 7 years ago!! :O

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Here are the details from the website:

SERVICE CAMPAIGN

ACU REPROGRAM (AIRBAG)
EFFECTIVE DATE: June 22, 2017

SUMMARY

The current Air Bag Control Unit (ACU) rollover-sensing calibration logic could allow for unintended curtain air bag deployment in rare instances occurring under certain unique driving scenarios, usually involving unpaved roads or off-road where one side of the vehicle is higher than the other.

REMEDY

Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign to reprogram the ACU in 2004-2014 Titan, 2005-2014 Frontier, and 2005-2014 Xterra vehicles. Nissan authorized dealers will reprogram the ACU with updated software. The ACU reprogramming will improve rollover-sensing calibration to address certain unique driving scenarios, and help prevent unintended rollover curtain air bag deployment, while maintaining the design intent for deployment in rollover crashes. This service, which is conducted at no charge to you for parts and labor, should take approximately two (2) hours to complete. However, your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.

Please contact your Nissan Dealer with any questions or comments about your Nissan.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Here are the details from the website:

SERVICE CAMPAIGN

ACU REPROGRAM (AIRBAG)
EFFECTIVE DATE: June 22, 2017

SUMMARY

The current Air Bag Control Unit (ACU) rollover-sensing calibration logic could allow for unintended curtain air bag deployment in rare instances occurring under certain unique driving scenarios, usually involving unpaved roads or off-road where one side of the vehicle is higher than the other.

REMEDY

Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign to reprogram the ACU in 2004-2014 Titan, 2005-2014 Frontier, and 2005-2014 Xterra vehicles. Nissan authorized dealers will reprogram the ACU with updated software. The ACU reprogramming will improve rollover-sensing calibration to address certain unique driving scenarios, and help prevent unintended rollover curtain air bag deployment, while maintaining the design intent for deployment in rollover crashes. This service, which is conducted at no charge to you for parts and labor, should take approximately two (2) hours to complete. However, your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.

Please contact your Nissan Dealer with any questions or comments about your Nissan.
You guys keep using the word "recall" but nowhere in the documentation does it say "recall". That would mean something is broken and needs to be replaced. This is simply a re-calibration of the Airbag Control Unit sensor. It also says it is voluntary, if it were a recall it would be mandatory. So basically if it were a recall if you don't do it then you can't complain later on that something broke when they warned you about it.

This is a "Service Campaign", that might be why you can't find anything on Nissan's recall website.

·
Registered
71 Posts
UPDATE: I just checked my VIN here and it turns out this service campaign is for my old 2010 which I sold previously this year. NOT for my 2016. According to the website there is nothing open for the 2016. Just an FYI is there was any confusion earlier.

Glad I don't have to go back in to the dealer...

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have a 2012,

Had my local Nissan dealer check and sure enough I need to have the air bag sensor recalibrated.

So It goes in tomorrow for an oil change and a recalibration.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

·
Registered
634 Posts
arrived 10 am for my appointment. the service adviser cautioned on the phone that
while it is expected to be quick, some Frontiers cause the firmware upgrade to abort
and then the whole process would need to be restarted, resulting in a worse case
scenario of 2 hrs.

i walked to the nearby Harley dealer to recon their showroom of new and used hogs.
way out of my price range and no room in my garage so I walked back to the Nissan
dealer after 20 minutes. my truck was released and given clean health of a X-point-
maintenance check. I had declined the car was and upholstery steam clean.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts