Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have NEVER heard anyone talk about these tires. Why I dont know. Thay are some of the most aggressive looking tires I have seen. But the problem for most of us is, we use are truck as a DD. And nice looking tires dont last long, and are pricy.

From the reviews..... These can be a realistic DD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Ive been searching hard for a happy medium. And I found 10 times better then what I was hoping for.

I think I'll let the pics and the web site do the talking.

Oh, and has anyone ever heard of any word of mouth about these? Good or bad?

HERE IS A REVIEW FROM A WEB SITE NOT SELLING THE TIRE.... JUST A REVIEW. CHECK OUT AT THE BOTTOM THE CUSTOMER REVIEW!!!!

Parnelli Jone Dirt Grip All-Terrain Tire Review

Here is a couple high lights from the review........

- Those who use the Parnelli Jone Dirt Grip say they work very well when aired down to the single digits and grip very well on the rocks, wet rocks, steep terrain - like glue, while the sidewalls flexes quite conformably over the rocks, boulders and varying terrain. In models using the 16 and 16.5 inch rims the Parnelli Jone Dirt Grip uses a 10-ply rating on the sidewalls creating a very tough barrier to sidewall punctures.

- Four wheeler magazine in a January 2002 did a comparison of six off-road tires including the Pro Comp Xterrain, the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R, the MT Radial Baja Claw, the BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM, and the Interco 37 inch Bogger and the PJ dirt grips were rated very good in mud, rocks, street, with an "excellent" in sand making it the highest over all rating of the six tested in sand.

Sizes range from 31X10.50R15/C to 38X15.50R17/E. See their vendors for size availability and additional ratings.

- The tire also performs very smoothly and quietly on the highway for this type of tire due to the PJ tread design which is similar to a rib highway tire.

Four Wheeler (January 2002 issue) also tested the tires and rated them (on a scale of 1-5) 4 stars in the mud, 4 stars in rocks, 5 stars in sand, and 4 stars in the street.

Here is the sizing chart, I have what I had in mind highlighted.....

Here is the Home page for the manufacture....

Dirt Grip Tires

One thing I'm unclear on... (this ? is for the 4X4 vertians) when they say "good street tire" what does that mean?

Good long life? Low noise? Good grip?
All of the above?

Also check out this review at the bottom of the page.
Reviews and Products - Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips - Powered by ReviewPost

threw some pics in to keep it intresting! All text gets old, quick! Enjoy!

Oh, I would like to hear from the guys "who have been there done that". I have not, so I would like some experiance Frontier guy to boil this down for me.

I know when I read Motocross stuff, and because I have been doing it my entire life I can read between the lines....or just know what is a good aplication for this or that. I dont have that in this 4X4 subject. Any input is welcome!!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
what's the price for the size you are looking at?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what's the price for the size you are looking at?
A little steep. Its right at the $200 mark, but I belive that was a shipped price. BUT If I can have a tire that looks like that....And get 50K miles out of it!!! Hells yeah! Thats sweet! Well worth the money IMHO.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they look ok but I got 67k outta my old BFG ATs and now have over 30k on my Kumhos

Well BFG at's look nothing like these tires. And every one hates them, lack of traction I guess. How do your Kumhos look after 30K? How many miles you think you have left on them?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW!!! Your not jok'en! They look super healthy for 30K miles! What did they run ya $ wise, if you dont mind me asking. Or maybe a size and I can look it up?

Love those rims man! Your truck was the first one that I saw BEFORE I bought my truck, BEFORE I was a member on here. Your truck was a weighing factor on buy my truck.... believe it or not!

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Who hates the BFG A/T's? I got 82,500 miles out of the last set I had on my other truck. Never got stuck, great in the winter, decent on the trail (not good in deep mud and muck.) If you stay on top of the maintenance (balance and rotate) the BFG's will wear like iron. They look pretty good too.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I was never had them, but others complain that they look like ford focus tires and the rubber is so hard that, they get little to no traction on wet roads.

·
Registered
578 Posts
they arn't great on wet roads but do great off road and last a long time

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
your gonna hate having a E rated tire.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Parnelli Jones would not put nis name on something that was not good. With his background in Baja I would say they are a great tire.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
the issue is that tire is way out dated now, the BGF KM2s, Nitto Trail Grapplers, the new MTRs are all passed that tire now both on and off road

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
$200 per tire is about average I think for a good AT tire. I say sounds like a nice price for the tire.

I had a set of BFG AT's on my old jeep, had 70k+ miles on them when I sold it and still looked good. They were a little scary in heavy rain (so was the jeep) and noisy, but were sweet offroad.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Well, I was never had them, but others complain that they look like ford focus tires and the rubber is so hard that, they get little to no traction on wet roads.
What the hell?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
your gonna hate having a E rated tire.
Explain please. Is this have something to do with the 10 ply?

the issue is that tire is way out dated now, the BGF KM2s, Nitto Trail Grapplers, the new MTRs are all passed that tire now both on and off road
So what do the others offer that Parnelli does not? I think none of the ones you mentioned look as aggressive as the parnelli's. Thats my main thing, I want the look of a "super swamper" but dont want to replace them evry 3 months and hear them as I drive. In your opinion..... Who is the king of the hill for aggressive looks with good road manors?

Thanks.

What the hell?
Sorry man. I tend to exaggerate for effect. I know they look nothing like that focus tire. Just compared to the tires shown in the thread they are not as aggressive.

Didnt mean to knock your tread man, your right they offer a really good happy medium. But I like to be excessive some times, over kill makes me smile.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Jordo, I answered in the omf thread, but in defense of Disco, the AT is a GREAT tire and I really liked mine. it had great wear and never an issue on or off road. I didnt think they were noisy at all. but with ALL tires, if the start cupping from alignment rotation and balance issue they all get noisy!. Even passenger car tires. If you want agressive go with the KM2's. But as I said elsewhere theyre alot heavier than the AT's, and you WILL feel the differance in braking, acceleration, and mileage.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Any aggressive tire is likely going to have large tread blocks which is going to equate to a lot more road noise. If quiet is one of your things, just remember that.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Jordo, I answered in the omf thread, but in defense of Disco, the AT is a GREAT tire and I really liked mine. it had great wear and never an issue on or off road. I didnt think they were noisy at all. but with ALL tires, if the start cupping from alignment rotation and balance issue they all get noisy!. Even passenger car tires. If you want agressive go with the KM2's. But as I said elsewhere theyre alot heavier than the AT's, and you WILL feel the differance in braking, acceleration, and mileage.
So the tires I posted in this thread are rated as an "AT" does that garrentee that they are "light" and will not effect the power and braking proformance?

Or is it the "ply" that gives it the weight?

These tires in this thread are listed at 58.8 lbs. That sounds heavy for a tire. Do you recall what your weighed?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts