Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok trying to get someone to tell me if aftermarket UCA are in fact "legal"in Aus
So far no-one will tell me one way or the other.
Has anyone got aftermarket UCA installed ?
If so has it been engineered or just installed and take the risk.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
What would make them illegal? They do not change any factory specs really and they are made of a higher grade material. It is my understanding you would just have to have them installed and approved by a professional inspector?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the way the rules run here anything to change the suspension componentry needs to be inspected by an engineer.I can change the brake pads and rotors without needing an inspection. Change the caliper and it needs inspection. I can change shocks no worries. Change to an aftermarket UCA and they have a hissy fit.
I tried to speak to an engineer this afternoon and its a waiting list just to talk to him.I could see him if I made an appointment at the earliest on the 19th of Feb .
I just want to make sure the truck is 100% legal so I dont threaten my insurance.
I want to get my UCA from Greg but dont want to import them only to find out the rego weapon heads wont let me use them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Aussie, I doubt anyone at the insurance companies would even notice that they are not a factory fitted item.
Moorie.

·
Registered
239 Posts
From my understanding here in Western Australia as long as the components are ADR compliant then they will be covered by insurance. Suspension and brake upgrades are fine as they don't increase the performance in terms of power. My last car had bigger brakes fitted and whole complete adjustable coilovers front and rear but as they were ADR compliant there was not an issue. So I would guess if you import directly then there is no compliance and insurance and rego issues.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spoke with another engineer today and he said unless the units get tested to become ADR compliant then your pretty much FUBAR if u get caught.He wasnt being nasty in anyway but he said if they caught me they could defect the vehicle and any insurance could be VOID.
Am thinking not worth the risk the way my luch has run with this truck .

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Spoke with another engineer today and he said unless the units get tested to become ADR compliant then your pretty much FUBAR if u get caught.He wasnt being nasty in anyway but he said if they caught me they could defect the vehicle and any insurance could be VOID.
Am thinking not worth the risk the way my luch has run with this truck .
That confirms what I was told here. Companys like Fulcrum and pedders have imported gear tested to get compliance. Safer to pay extra for locally supplied ADR complied gear than take the risk of having insurance voided in an accident.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know it's "worst case", but it's not just insurance you have to worry about.

There could also be criminal liability if someone is killed or injured in an accident. Hard to prove that a non-complied mod caused or added to an accident, but the prang gang will go a LONG way to prove something when they get their teeth into it, and unlike you and me, the Gov't have virtually unlimited money to pursue their chosen causes...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point Ants
Would having them inspected and passed by an engineer work ?
Just thinking if they were to get approved then Greg could sell them over here as an approved item for use in Navara's

·
Registered
169 Posts
They would need "type approval" by someone qualified to give that level of approval. Most engineers who approve mods can only do "one off" mods, they can't endorse "type approvals". Places that can do type approval are places such as ARB (I believe), HSV, Walkinshaw engineering, that mob in Mildura I think (Peter Dichera - spelling??)...takes a LOT of investment to get the necessary quals and all the gear together. And then there is the type of "type approval" you can do....for example, someone might be ramped up to do type approvals for exhaust emissions for a few different models of vehicle for performance chips (keep it all legit)...another might be kitted out to do type approval on bullbars, but don't have the skills or equipment to even consider suspension for example...HSV can approve certain mods on commodores and one shape (two door) Astra, but that's all....you get the idea I'm sure - it's a VERY limited and VERY well locked down process from what I understand. But that is only my understanding which could be wrong...

It's a damn complex situation.

My thoughts are that your only REALISTIC approach is the one-off modification approval by an engineer.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Ants
appreciate the input and yeah am total agreement. I think I might have a go at speaking to the engineer with as much info as I can get b4 bringing them in. If he cant see any real issues in the design or materials then its all good. If however he has issues with whatever then it would have to be take it as it comes.
Personally I agree they are going to be stronger than stock however that is the engineers call.
I do want to go the right route to do things properly as long as its not going to take as long as Nissan Warranty lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts