Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know my 2019 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab V6 2WD SL came with a prewired towing harness with 2 connectors. I can see it under the bed of the truck, but I'm confused about what to order. All I want is the newer style round 7 pin type connection with basic function of taillights, brake lights, turn signals. I don't need electronic breaking function. Will the basic 7 pin connector wiring kit work for what I need or is there also a relay wiring harness kit that has to be purchased and installed on the passenger side floor panel?

Appreciate the help
Larry G

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I know my 2019 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab V6 2WD SL came with a prewired towing harness with 2 connectors. I can see it under the bed of the truck, but I'm confused about what to order. All I want is the newer style round 7 pin type connection with basic function of taillights, brake lights, turn signals. I don't need electronic breaking function. Will the basic 7 pin connector wiring kit work for what I need or is there also a relay wiring harness kit that has to be purchased and installed on the passenger side floor panel?

Appreciate the help
Larry G
You will need the relay kit. The 7 pin has brakes and house power connectors, so you can run accessories up to it's max rating, which I believe is 20 amps. For basic lighting only, all you need is the 4 pin harness, which only uses one of the frame-mounted sockets.
I got this, and can run basically anything.

Reactions: Lgos

·
Super Moderator
12,473 Posts
The factory hitch and wiring isn’t that much more and you’ll never have an issue. Nissans don’t take well to having their wiring messed with. If you’re here long enough you’ll see it is a real issue.

Clint

• Helpful
Reactions: GreyFox and Lgos

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I would suggest OEM wiring and hitch or this connector: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ing-solutions-trailer-wire-harness/hop1/43534

Reason being the other aftermarket brands seem to always have the wiring wrong for the trailer brake and 12V aux, which means power goes to the trailer brakes and the first time you tow with a trailer with brakes the power applies and locks the wheels. That is not a problem with OEM harnesses and is not a problem with the Hopkins plug. OEM is nice but I don't like where it mounts on the trailer hitch, it's super low (which is why the P4X didn't come with a trailer hitch since it's the offroad model). I also don't like the OEM only having a 7 way meaning for all the 4 way use I need, I had to use an adapter. I got the Hopkins and mounted it in the bumper.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I plan to install a class 3 which has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. The only thing I plan to tow would be maybe a small motorcycle utility trailer, maybe small uhaul type trailers which I think are fitted with 4 pin connectors. Maybe a small boat trailer. In Texas, trailers aren't required to have electric brakes unless they are greater than 4500 lbs. The hitch is only rated for 5000 lbs max so I really don't know that I would need the round 7 pin setup. I guess having both would be ideal but may not ever need the 7 pin.

From what I understand, if I turn the headlights on and crawl under the truck with a multimeter and check the white connector for voltage on the pin closest to the bumper and if I have voltage then the truck has prewired towing package and I won't need the relay harness kit up front behind the kick panel, for the 4 pin setup type. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Brakes may not legally be required on trailers under 4.5K - but on anything over approx. 2K, having them anyway is a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
12,473 Posts
It’s foolish to think the truck can stop all that weight that it wasn’t built for. Add a controller and buy a trailer with brakes, in a collision the deductibles alone would cost more than the initial buy in and your truck still has to be repaired or replaced.

Clint

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I purchased the OEM wiring harness and hitch directly from Nissan. I installed the harness on the bumper next to the license plate as many members from this forum have done so.
Trailer Tow Harness (7-Pin) Part Number: 999T8-BR020

View attachment 358786
Was it necessary to install a relay harness on the passenger side, behind the kick panel? Yours is a 2019? Appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
12,473 Posts
Was it necessary to install a relay harness on the passenger side, behind the kick panel? Yours is a 2019? Appreciate it.
Without the relays you lights won’t work, when people buy aftermarket to save money they find out why they saved as they still need to go buy the relays and the. Add it up and you saved $0 plus you’re angry by then.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
12,473 Posts
Ok, I'll just go with the 7 pin hookup with the extra relay harness for foot panel and if I need a 4 pin connection then I'll just get an adapter plugin from 7 pin to the 4 pin. appreciate it, no sense trying to take shortcut to save a few pennies.
You’ll need the 3 relays.

Clint

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I purchased the OEM wiring harness and hitch directly from Nissan. I installed the harness on the bumper next to the license plate as many members from this forum have done so.
Trailer Tow Harness (7-Pin) Part Number: 999T8-BR020

View attachment 358786
I like this setup from Nissan, but it must have been a real pain to mount. What did you use to make the hole that large. A knock out?

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Ok, I'll just go with the 7 pin hookup with the extra relay harness for foot panel and if I need a 4 pin connection then I'll just get an adapter plugin from 7 pin to the 4 pin. appreciate it, no sense trying to take shortcut to save a few pennies.
That’s why I like the Hopkins I listed, it has both. I wouldn’t want to limit myself to 4 only and using the adapter all the time for 7 is annoying, although it does work fine.

You will need the relay harness no matter what, it is what powers the auxiliary 12V wire, the trailer tail lamp circuit, and the reverse wire on manual transmissions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s why I like the Hopkins I listed, it has both. I wouldn’t want to limit myself to 4 only and using the adapter all the time for 7 is annoying, although it does work fine.

You will need the relay harness no matter what, it is what powers the auxiliary 12V wire, the trailer tail lamp circuit, and the reverse wire on manual transmissions.
The only concern I have with the dual plug is if it's plug and play. Just plug the two connectors in and your good to go? Then just buy the relay harness separate from etrailer or wherever.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
The only concern I have with the dual plug is if it's plug and play. Just plug the two connectors in and your good to go? Then just buy the relay harness separate from etrailer or wherever.
Yes, the Hopkins number I listed is plug and play for nissan, that’s why I liked it. If you’re cool with the adapter though then that route is fine. Probably cheaper to buy the oem harness than buy the Hopkins and a separate relay harness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm having trouble finding someone that sells just the relay harness by itself, etrailer does not sell just the relay harness. But sure appreciate your advice. I'll keep looking. O'Reilly has the dual plug/harness locally $39.99

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I’d probably buy this for an additional $40 and save/sell or discard the 4-way that comes with it. That’s not much worse than buying the Nissan kit for the $70 or $80 that it costs.

CURT 56225 Vehicle-Side Custom 4-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness, Fits Select Nissan Frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra, Suzuki Equator , Black https://a.co/d/buGlqwS

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
If you go the Hopkins route and mount it in the bumper, I believe you’ll need a 2” hole saw. I used 2-1/8” but there was a decent amount of wiggle room. I would test a 2” in a block of wood and if it fits the plug, then it’ll work on the bumper. The main benefit of
The smaller hole being that your screw holes don’t have to be as precise. I could move mine enough that I could expose the hole and the paint on the edge of the hole that I did to minimize rust. So I had to install my screws just perfect. Make sure to paint the hole.

If you go OEM connector, you need a 2-1/8 hole and you have to trim the nubs off the connector so it’ll fit through the hole. You also have to unplug the harness and undo the harness casing to get it through the hole, then reassemble on the backside behind the bumper once done. That’s all easy though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts