Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new 2019 pro4x owner here. I've read quite a bit of the site and really enjoy all of it. Thanks for all the good, free info.

So far, I'm super happy with my truck. Everything except sound quality. I'm not a serious audiophile by any means, but do appreciate good quality sound and the Frontier unfortunately doesn't have it. I'm coming from a Dodge Journey, which although the car itself was a pos, the stock system (Alpine) was really good. So anyway, I'm thinking of upgrading the head unit to a Kenwood DNX997XR. MANY years ago, I used to love dabbling with stereos, rip old ones out, new ones in, etc. I wouldn't know where to begin now so definately would have it done. One thing I remember though is rattles. They'd usually always occur after putting in new units and speakers. Mind you I wasn't too careful, and the vehicles were old junk so I'm sure that was a huge factor. Any kind of rattle in a new vehicle gives me a twitch until I find it :oops:. Is it still an issue with aftermarket installs? Do pro installers guarantee against that kind of thing at all? Are Frontiers prone to any issues like this at all? Thanks for any advice which might seem like odd questions!

·
Premium Member
5,883 Posts
A good installer has a knack for using sound deadening material (like Dynamat) in the doors/etc to help w/ the rattles. A vehicle is a lousy place for an audiophile due to crappy acoustics from all the various surface materials and protrusions...not to mention all the dang possibilities for rattles from a sub. Quite a few folks here at CF have applied extensive use of sound deadening materials throughout their cab after removing the panels and even the headliner. They all report how much quieter their cab is afterwards.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
I'm not a serious audiophile by any means, but do appreciate good quality sound and the Frontier unfortunately doesn't have it.
Unfortunately this is true, and stays true until you change the head unit.

Any kind of rattle in a new vehicle gives me a twitch until I find it :oops:. Is it still an issue with aftermarket installs? Do pro installers guarantee against that kind of thing at all? Are Frontiers prone to any issues like this at all?
With enough bass you will get rattles in any vehicle. Mind you - it's not a 60k Lexus; your 2019 is still a pickup truck originally designed back in 2004 (even older than the first model year Dodge Journey). That said - adding sound deadening is a good option for the Frontier; I personally measured over a 4-dB drop in interior noise after installing sound deadening in my truck.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,201 Posts
I highly recommend adding a sound deadener of your choice to the inner doorskins and the inner side of the outer doorskins as well....at the least. Do some research before deciding because there are a lot of options to choose from.

I personally used Dynamat Xtreme in my doors, floor, back wall and roof. Also went with Dynaliner on top of the Dynamat on the floor and roof.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I bought a Kenwood DDX5706S today along with a couple Hertz Cento C165's for front doors and C26's for dash. I mostly went with advice of the tech who I bought from. I dont think I need to do anything with the sub, or rears for now at least, as I don't need any more bass, and I don't need more power for sure. Just looking for better quality sound. I'll find out in a few days after install I guess. Hopefully I made a good choice. I suppose most anything will be better than what''s happening in there now, right?

I'm told all existing steering wheel controls, rear camera, etc will function as stock, so hopefully no issues there. I didn't think to ask one thing though...should the existing bluetooth mic still be functional with this setup? I'd hate to have everything looking relatively stock except for an ugly little external mic sitting somewhere!

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,201 Posts
So I bought a Kenwood DDX5706S today along with a couple Hertz Cento C165's for front doors and C26's for dash. I mostly went with advice of the tech who I bought from. I dont think I need to do anything with the sub, or rears for now at least, as I don't need any more bass, and I don't need more power for sure. Just looking for better quality sound. I'll find out in a few days after install I guess. Hopefully I made a good choice. I suppose most anything will be better than what''s happening in there now, right?

I'm told all existing steering wheel controls, rear camera, etc will function as stock, so hopefully no issues there. I didn't think to ask one thing though...should the existing bluetooth mic still be functional with this setup? I'd hate to have everything looking relatively stock except for an ugly little external mic sitting somewhere!
Did you also get the wiring harness and steering wheel control adapter?

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts

Good choice, I have been enjoying my Hertz HSK Hi-Energy 165's for years now, they make excellent speakers for sure.

The OEM Bluetooth mic can't be used with aftermarket head units, like @butterman2473 said you can remove the OEM microphone and install your Kenwood mic there like I did (with my Kenwood too LOL)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good choice, I have been enjoying my Hertz HSK Hi-Energy 165's for years now, they make excellent speakers for sure.

The OEM Bluetooth mic can't be used with aftermarket head units, like @butterman2473 said you can remove the OEM microphone and install your Kenwood mic there like I did (with my Kenwood too LOL)
That's great to know! I read some of your build website and knew you had Kenwood, but missed you'd installed Hertz as well. I can't wait to hear it!

I can't seem to find how you've installed the Kenwood mic. If it's there, could you link me to it, thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
That's great to know! I read some of your build website and knew you had Kenwood, but missed you'd installed Hertz as well. I can't wait to hear it!

I can't seem to find how you've installed the Kenwood mic. If it's there, could you link me to it, thanks.
I don't really have any details other than an old photo that doesn't really show much... it's in the post about my first head unit install:

Basically drop the overhead console and you'll be able to see where to go from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts