Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 Months ago I replaced the Idler Arm, Center Link, Upper and Lower Control Arms, and Tie Rods. Within a month they're rusted looking and the paint is mostly gone.
The Idler Arm, Center Link, and Tie Rods were made by MOOG and like I said withing a month or 2 They were almost solid rust with the exception of the Center Link which still looks alright.

I will say the aftermarket Control Arms still look alright too. They were made by MEVOTECH, Got them off Rockauto and they look identical to OEM except for their crappy azz boots but thats another story for another time.

My original Nissan idler arm, control arms, tie rods are still black with minimal signs of rust and they're 20 years old! I've got new UCA's i'm putting on for a lift from 4x4Parts. Everybody i see who has them are all rusted out looking.
What is it that Nissan is doing to keep everything from rusting to shyt in no time flat and what can I do to prevent this? Scuff it up and hit with a few more coats of paint BEFORE I Put Them On or What? And What type of paint?

Below Is Typical of the AC/4x4Parts.Com and a lot of the Aftermarket Crap I've Put on That Makes My Ride Look Like A Rusted Out Shyt Bucket.
I mean seriously, Look at the Lower Control Arm. Its OEM and still Black. Now look at the Upper from 4x4Parts. Thats a MOOG Tie Rod End and I believe A 4x4Parts Tie Rod Adjuster in the Picture too. Just Pathetic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you really want something that will last, strip the paint then powder coat everything. You could also just but 2 or 3 heavy coat of rust paint on them. I redid my rear bumper with a 2x4 steel beam last summer. I painted it with "armor coat" rust paint. The metal was bear and free of rust. The paint is similar to rustolium rust paint or tremclad if you are in Canada. Afther 3 heavy coat with 24h between coat and 48h before installing, it took about a month to fully cure. It now live it's first winter. No sign of rust so far.

You have to keep in mind that if you paint on thread, it will be a pain to use them afther and will need touch up afther use. You may be able to just wire brush everything with a grinder and brush paint them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
For me, it's been about a year and all my aftermarket oem suspension bits are still the original color when I first installed a year ago. The only thing that looks different now is the tie rod. Maybe its the salty air for you? I live in the desert where it's nice and dry.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For me, it's been about a year and all my aftermarket oem suspension bits are still the original color when I first installed a year ago. The only thing that looks different now is the tie rod. Maybe its the salty air for you? I live in the desert where it's nice and dry.
Right, you live in the California desert right? That makes a huge difference. It stays 80-90% humidity here on the regular and yes its salt air here. Still though, their paint cant even last month?! They need to step their game up.

Fun Fact: My truck is orginally a CA truck from Santa Barbara. It was stolen in 2012 and later found in Oklahoma. Sat on a lot for a year and then sold to me in 2013 in Houston, Tx. My VIN brings up my truck as needing all the California style crap like special Catalytic Converts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Right, you live in the California desert right? That makes a huge difference. It stays 80-90% humidity here on the regular and yes its salt air here. Still though, their paint cant even last month?! They need to step their game up.

Fun Fact: My truck is orginally a CA truck from Santa Barbara. It was stolen in 2012 and later found in Oklahoma. Sat on a lot for a year and then sold to me in 2013 in Houston, Tx. My VIN brings up my truck as needing all the California style crap like special Catalytic Converts
Yep, I live in the CA desert. Highest humidity here is around 50-60% in the summer and only stays humid for a week or two a few times throughout summer. Otherwise, it's around 20-40% the rest of the summer. I definitely feel your pain about the paint. I'd hate to replace all my suspension bits and to find it all rusted/corroded only after 6 months too.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Aftermarket parts ? I did not notice in the pics.....All I seen was the sweet *** BFG mud terrains. LOL
Seriously though I feel you pain as I just purchased aftermarket lower control arms and tie rod ends and the weak *** paint chipped away when I was moving the LCA's around in the box....so I spray panted them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm in Colorado, I don't know if the roads get 'salted' but they use mag chloride for sure. I installed my uppers from AC/4x4parts.com 2 months ago, at least 2500 miles since then--I drive it a good amount. It's all dirty but doesn't look rusty like yours. Second pic I wiped off part of the control arm and the paint still looks good. You must just be in a harsh area for paint/coatings. Before I put the new parts on when I had it torn apart I sprayed the rest of that area with a cheap rubberized undercoating and it seems to be holding up pretty well too. Didn't even prep very well before I sprayed...

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was there any actual paint on said steering parts? My memory of Moog parts is they are not painted, they just have a very light coating of oil to prevent corrosion in the box. Your Movetech uppers probably had legit paint on them.
Yeah, The Idler Arm had Silver Paint on it and the Tie Rods were black. And Yeah Those Mevotechs still have nice shiny black paint on them. I think the paint will hold up. The uppers are soon to be taking up space in my storage as soon as I get my new Uppers for the lift on.
I'm in Colorado, I don't know if the roads get 'salted' but they use mag chloride for sure. I installed my uppers from AC/4x4parts.com 2 months ago, at least 2500 miles since then--I drive it a good amount. It's all dirty but doesn't look rusty like yours. Second pic I wiped off part of the control arm and the paint still looks good. You must just be in a harsh area for paint/coatings. Before I put the new parts on when I had it torn apart I sprayed the rest of that area with a cheap rubberized undercoating and it seems to be holding up pretty well too. Didn't even prep very well before I sprayed...
Yeah yours don't look bad at all. That pic isn't my setup tho. I replaced my control arms with OE Spec about 6 months ago and all my steering components which all but the Control Arms and Center link have rusted.
I have the Uppers from 4x4Parts and they're going on soon. I've had them for a few months now but not installed. I just keep seeing a lot of pics with peoples rusted out components.
Think what i'm going to do is lightly flapper wheel the Arms and add a few coats of paint before i install them. Maybe even just Rhino Line them.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I wonder how well Plasti-coat would hold up on them?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wonder how well Plasti-coat would hold up on them?
I am not sure about plasti-coat. I will poat back after the winter to give some idea of the coating a put on my bear steel rear bumper. I use "armor coat" rust paint. It's like tremclad or rustolium but cheaper (yes that exist) The thing is, it is very easy to touch up. Anyway, winter, road salt and sand will say if it is a good paint to paint my frame with. Being 15+ years old, my truck needs some frame love now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts