Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long have your aftermarket clutches lasted and what brand are they?

I'm in the market and hoping for durable and affordable. I've seen JWT mentioned more than anything but also have seen a couple of remarks about them lacking longevity.
I'm also worried about using a non-dual mass flywheel because of chatter. I hate noise.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Had McLeod rebuild mine. Still uses dual mass flywheel.
Maybe 450 miles but very abusive miles(stuck in silt beds, 3 times during 1000. 315 miles).
Don't know if this helps but I have confidence in this clutch.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had McLeod rebuild mine. Still uses dual mass flywheel.
Maybe 450 miles but very abusive miles(stuck in silt beds, 3 times during 1000. 315 miles).
Don't know if this helps but I have confidence in this clutch.
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
My 1998 Frontier: Exedy

My 1988 Mazda truck: Luk

Happy with both.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Had a hardbody with a Competition Clutch stage two setup. It grabbed hard and lasted until I sold it with 190,000 miles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a hardbody with a Competition Clutch stage two setup. It grabbed hard and lasted until I sold it with 190,000 miles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Very nice, thank you.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine is being replaced as we speak in a 2010. Just went with standard oem replacement on advice of the mechanic.

He also suggested we replace the master and slave while we're at it. I have a lot of trust in him as he has done all of my vehicles for a long time.. so replacing those as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
Mine is being replaced as we speak in a 2010. Just went with standard oem replacement on advice of the mechanic.

He also suggested we replace the master and slave while we're at it. I have a lot of trust in him as he has done all of my vehicles for a long time.. so replacing those as well.
Agreed. Do it to be done w/ it.

Though that said, I'm curious as to the differences a lighter flywheel would/could provide...>:D

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Would probably need to call for Frontier applications V6 '15+ 6-sp:

Phoenix Kevlar clutch: description worth a read!

06-218.2K Stage 2 Kevlar Clutch Kit: Nissan Frontier, Xterra - 10-1/4 in.
It's got me interested but that price tag.

I hope you get a good deal!

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Centerforce makes a couple of clutches for our trucks too.

Interesting read about the phoenix Kevlar puck clutch. Generally they do not provide smooth engagement. But I like the 300% longer life part.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
Like many, I bought a 6-sp on purpose...and when the time comes (only at 26k), will be looking to consider something different. The stock clutch/DM flywheel would certainly be a fine choice, so would never discount OEM. Looking forward to hearing/reading more clutch reviews for the next few years.

What other Nissan/Infiniti products use our 6-sp & M226 rear diff? 370Z perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Valeo and Exedy make OE clutches for Nissan. I've never heard of any complaints about either for those looking for a stock-like replacement. Exedy is probably the most popular.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
What advantages are their to a non-dual mass flywheel?
Lighter weight = faster spin up/down = revs would not hang like they do from the factory. Would/will make the judgment call that a more spirited/sporty driver's feel would result.

IIRC, Nissan's purpose was to reduce NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) in the driveline. An unfortunate aspect is that these DM FWs cannot be resurfaced.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts