Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I am late to the game but I'd like to paint these chrome decals as I've never been a fan!

I did a little google research and decided I would rather spray paint them as opposed to dipping them for longevity purposes.

It looks like the most popular method of painting the "4x4" & "FRONTIER" is to remove them with a heatgun/fishing line?

Here is what I would like to paint:

EXTERIOR:
- 2x outside mirror covers
- 2x Nissan emblems
- 4x door handles
- 1x FRONTIER
- 1x 4x4

Possible phase 2 would be:

INTERIOR:

- 4x door handles
- 1x drive shift
- Nissan emblem

Research says these two products are popular for the job: Professional All Surface Enamel - | Krylon in flat black & Rust Protector? Protective Clear Coating - | Krylon

I also read folks using that flat black bedliner product to paint the chrome?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you want to just swap your chrome mirrors and exterior door handles for black ones, I'm in OKC and can meet you halfway in Hays, KS. We can uninstall and swap on the side of the road. lol. I can stop by Job Bob Outfitters while I'm there.

Besides that, you can take some acetone to the chrome, it should take it off. Then you can sand and paint the plastic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want to just swap your chrome mirrors and exterior door handles for black ones, I'm in OKC and can meet you halfway in Hays, KS. We can uninstall and swap on the side of the road. lol. I can stop by Job Bob Outfitters while I'm there.

Besides that, you can take some acetone to the chrome, it should take it off. Then you can sand and paint the plastic.
I am in NW Arkansas now but I don't think I can meet anytime soon...new job - thanks for the offer though!

It looks like most people just paint over the chrome so that is my plan.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oops sorry. I saw Denver on your location. I didn't think either of us would really be keen on driving 5 hours just to exchange door handles, hence the lol. Anyways, good luck on your project, keep us posted how it turns out.

Reactions: Levibolsen

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
For the exterior ones, Plasti-dip is great. Comes in quite a few different colors too. I made a thread about the progress...

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/chrome-b-gone-258210/
Plastidip makes a lot of sense for the tailgate characters since any overspray will peel right off...though you'll still want to mask off anything an inch away.
Taking the letters/numbers off then trying to reapply them sounds like a challenge I'd rather not tackle. JMO

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
I know I am late to the game but I'd like to paint these chrome decals as I've never been a fan!

I did a little google research and decided I would rather spray paint them as opposed to dipping them for longevity purposes.

It looks like the most popular method of painting the "4x4" & "FRONTIER" is to remove them with a heatgun/fishing line?

Here is what I would like to paint:

EXTERIOR:
- 2x outside mirror covers
- 2x Nissan emblems
- 4x door handles
- 1x FRONTIER
- 1x 4x4

Possible phase 2 would be:

INTERIOR:

- 4x door handles
- 1x drive shift
- Nissan emblem

Research says these two products are popular for the job: Professional All Surface Enamel - | Krylon in flat black & Rust Protector? Protective Clear Coating - | Krylon

I also read folks using that flat black bedliner product to paint the chrome?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
- Plastidip actually holds up really well... my brother used 5 coats of Plastidip on his Tacoma emblems, grille, and other exterior bits and they still look good as new, and he did this about 2 years ago. Just an FYI.

- If you go the paint route, the key to painting chrome is to prep the surface correctly... meaning clean thoroughly to remove any dirt, oil, residue, etc. and then actually prep the surface - by way of sanding or priming. The same goes with using bedliner. You don't want to spend all the time painting/lining all the chrome parts, only to have it chip or peel a few days later because it wasn't sticking to the chrome.

- I wouldn't recommend removing the "4x4" and "FRONTIER" emblems to paint them - no matter what method you use to remove them, the adhesive gets messed up. So either you mask and paint them on the vehicle, or (what I'd do) buy replacement "4x4" and "FRONTIER" emblems from the dealer, paint them how you like, and then remove your stock emblems on the truck and install your new painted ones. Yes it will cost more to do it this way, but the better the job you do, the better the results.

EDIT: For tips on removing/installing the emblems, check out my post here:
How-To: Navara Emblem Swap (05.02.15)

·
Registered
219 Posts
- Plastidip actually holds up really well... my brother used 5 coats of Plastidip on his Tacoma emblems, grille, and other exterior bits and they still look good as new, and he did this about 2 years ago. Just an FYI.

- If you go the paint route, the key to painting chrome is to prep the surface correctly... meaning clean thoroughly to remove any dirt, oil, residue, etc. and then actually prep the surface - by way of sanding or priming. The same goes with using bedliner. You don't want to spend all the time painting/lining all the chrome parts, only to have it chip or peel a few days later because it wasn't sticking to the chrome.

- I wouldn't recommend removing the "4x4" and "FRONTIER" emblems to paint them - no matter what method you use to remove them, the adhesive gets messed up. So either you mask and paint them on the vehicle, or (what I'd do) buy replacement "4x4" and "FRONTIER" emblems from the dealer, paint them how you like, and then remove your stock emblems on the truck and install your new painted ones. Yes it will cost more to do it this way, but the better the job you do, the better the results.

EDIT: For tips on removing/installing the emblems, check out my post here:
How-To: Navara Emblem Swap (05.02.15)
Im with you on that. Plasti-dip is so easy to apply to the emblems already mounted, that removing them to then reapply them is just making the job 10x harder imho.

And thanks for posting that link there, because coincidentally, I have a Navara emblem sitting on my workbench that I was gonna replace the Frontier emblem with tomorrow actually... Im also gonna change the plasti-dip to gray, because the black on Arctic Blue Metallic is just way too dark. I want a little contrast between the body color and the emblems, while eliminating the chrome.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I ordered paint, primer and clear coat. Anyone know of a product that I could spray in the crevices where painters tape can't reach that doesn't allow paint to dry?

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
So I ordered paint, primer and clear coat. Anyone know of a product that I could spray in the crevices where painters tape can't reach that doesn't allow paint to dry?
It's not a spray but there's an item called liquid mask... basically you brush the blue liquid on places you don't want to paint, let it dry, then use an Xacto if you need to trim the edges. After 2-3 coats it dries into a rubber-like coating (kind of like Plastidip but a lot less "sticky") and it masks the area it's on. When you're done painting it peels off with your fingers. Not sure where you can get a small portion, we used to have a gallon at my old work when we had to do multi-color paint jobs, we'd coat the item, draw out patterns with a Sharpie, trim with an Xacto, then paint away. It was much easier than having to tape designs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not a spray but there's an item called liquid mask... basically you brush the blue liquid on places you don't want to paint, let it dry, then use an Xacto if you need to trim the edges. After 2-3 coats it dries into a rubber-like coating (kind of like Plastidip but a lot less "sticky") and it masks the area it's on. When you're done painting it peels off with your fingers. Not sure where you can get a small portion, we used to have a gallon at my old work when we had to do multi-color paint jobs, we'd coat the item, draw out patterns with a Sharpie, trim with an Xacto, then paint away. It was much easier than having to tape designs.
Like this? 3M 06847 Overspray Masking Liquid Dry

I wonder if I could use like a spray and or fine painting brush for small/tight areas?

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts