Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on leaving the calipers on when I paint them. I hear it is important to tape any rubber, pads, hoses and moving parts first before spray. So on our specific calipers what needs taped off in preparation?

If you have a picture that would be great! If not any advice is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
6,668 Posts
Nothing... if you leave them on as-is and try to paint them it'll look bad because you won't get the paint on all the right places and you'll get paint on a lot of wrong places - especially if you're using spray.

If you want to do it right you'll have to unbolt stuff to get it masked properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would second what raine said. Using High Temp caliper paint works very well for a dismantled caliper even if the brake line is left unbolted.

I have a modified MiniCooper and painted the calipers before it was my track car. I found that painting calipers raises the temps on the calipers /pads after heavy braking. I don't need brake fade-- even it looks nice. I'm guessing on our trucks, it would be even worse.

Richard

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the idea of leaving them on by watching some youtube videos where people have done it that way

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I bought a caliper paint kit and did mine by hand, not with a spray. Used a wire brush and the air compressor for initial cleaning, then hit it with the provided cleaner, then used the brush and air again, followed by the spray stuff provided, then wiped it off with a rag, then used the brush to apply. Three coats with 2 hrs dry time between coats, drove the truck 10 hrs later.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Or go to rock auto and order the powder coated caliper with brackets for $45 each side front and $59 a side rear. Power Stop is the brand. That's what I did when I rebuilt my front end a yr ago. You also have to ship your old ones back the manufacturer for core refund, also $35 ea.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,668 Posts

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
I had blue on my last truck, Rustoleum had a kit, but it was hard to find
Yeah, looks like they stopped making kits. I couldn't find a kit but I was able to piece something together. I'll be posting results on my build page in a few days...really like the all black with hints [mostly lighting, some parts] of blue.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
On the plus side, I got my shipment today and they accidentally sent me a can of yellow. They are overnighting me the correct blue and informed me that I could just toss the yellow or do what I wanted, so if it turns out decent and someone would like to go yellow, I've got a can available if you wanna cover shipping =P

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just curious as to how it's still holding up. Was gonna do the calipers on my charger n the truck here pretty soon and I'm most likely going to use that same kit for the frontier. I am still deciding what kit in blue for the charger. I was planning on removing the calipers to do this and flush the brakes while I'm at it. Also considering doing a clear after the color

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,668 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just curious as to how it's still holding up. Was gonna do the calipers on my charger n the truck here pretty soon and I'm most likely going to use that same kit for the frontier. I am still deciding what kit in blue for the charger. I was planning on removing the calipers to do this and flush the brakes while I'm at it. Also considering doing a clear after the color

Haven't touched them since I painted them, just a quick wipe of the calipers every now and then, the color is still all there

·
Registered
492 Posts
Haven't touched them since I painted them, just a quick wipe of the calipers every now and then, the color is still all there
Did the kit contain just enough or plenty to do the 6 coats on all four? I've contemplated doing the bracket in black and the caliper in red but then I see how yours came out in all red and I become indecisive again lol

·
Premium Member
6,668 Posts
Did the kit contain just enough or plenty to do the 6 coats on all four? I've contemplated doing the bracket in black and the caliper in red but then I see how yours came out in all red and I become indecisive again lol

I still have about 1/3 a can of paint left.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts