Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Frontier experts, i need some advice here. So about a month ago, my 2004 Supercharged CC got ran off the highway by a distracted driver and it got totaled. As mush as i loved that truck, i really like the newer ones. That is what i am trying to get now to replace it. Bottom line is between the insurance check and selling one of my beater cars, i have $14-15K for a new (to me) truck. So here are my Must haves:
-Under 100K miles
-Crew Cab
-Auto
-4wd

Now, i'm well aware of the issues with the rad/trans and the secondary timing chains with the 2005-2010. So im trying to get a 2011+ truck but finding them for $15k or under is very difficult. So my main question is, would you guys still go for a 05-10 thats low mileage and had a good service history? What if it had the timing and radiator service done? Or am i just better off waiting for a 2010+? Thanks guys, i cant wait to be back in a fronty!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I paid a little over 20k out the door for my 2011 pro4x with 104k miles. They are hard to come by with the 6 speed around here. Put 10k down should get you a low payment!

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
I paid a little over 20k out the door for my 2011 pro4x with 104k miles. They are hard to come by with the 6 speed around here. Put 10k down should get you a low payment!
I paid 23K + TTL on my at the time 3 year old Pro4x with 38K miles on it. I was in the same boat as you, looking for a decent used truck for 10-15k and I just wasn't seeing it.

Have you ran the numbers on taking a small loan in order to get something much newer with fewer miles? With $15k cash in hand, I would gladly take on a $120 a month payment to get a near new truck. Remember, the powertrain warranty is 6/60....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Theres actually a pro4x that i tried to get around here with 80k miles for $18k OTD. Which i know is a good deal but still a little too much. I know i could get a newer truck for $20k+ but with my first kid on the way im not trying to get into another car payment. So you guys think i should stay away from the 05-10 regardless? Its what im trying to do but its difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I'd buy that.
Have them do the fluids and replace the radiator with a new (could even ask if they'd do a CST rad) and you should be good. Great thing about a truck with some mileage and age marks is you don't feel guilty when you mark it up yourself taking it offroad! Budget another $1200 for OME springs & shocks and it will feel like a new truck! Add a bit more for a UCA and you won't have coil bucket contact either!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 2 accidents and "corporate" ownership doesnt scare you? I like the sunroof though. Last thing, i found one for sale privately with a bit more mileage but cleaner and its 5 min form my house. Probably get it for under 10K. between the 2 which one is a better deal? Been talking to the owner which i have many mutual friends with, they just serviced the AC system and put new cats and O2 sensors in. No accidents. Thanks a bunch guys i really appreciate your time.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/708468372/overview/

·
Registered
141 Posts
The 2 accidents and "corporate" ownership doesnt scare you? I like the sunroof though. Last thing, i found one for sale privately with a bit more mileage but cleaner and its 5 min form my house. Probably get it for under 10K. between the 2 which one is a better deal? Been talking to the owner which i have many mutual friends with, they just serviced the AC system and put new cats and O2 sensors in. No accidents. Thanks a bunch guys i really appreciate your time.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/708468372/overview/
I think you're really fortunate to have two descent Frontiers near you. I'd be tempted to take the Nismo but for the accidents.

Take them for a drive!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Don't let accidents scare you. If it drives straight and everything is sound, the truck is probably fine. The first one was in 2006 and the second was in 2010 so 7 years later I'd hope that any niggles caused by the accident have been worked out. The 2nd owner wasn't corporate and had the truck for 7 years after the accident. It couldn't have been that bad or they most likely would have sold it. I'd use those accidents as bargaining points though to get more stuff for free like fluids changed etc.

Don't forget most people have a stupid fender bender in the supermarket parking lot call the police, get an accident report, and it gets reported to their insurance company. It doesn't mean it was anything serious.

I just noticed, the car fax says the location of the damage too so I'd check those areas with a fine tooth comb, but it looks like vehicle was able to be driven both times so it probably wasn't bad.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you like your 1st gen fronty then you'll surely love a 2nd gen. If you can pull it off, get a new one! With the hefty down payment you'll be paid off in 3 years. Then you'll have a one owner truck with only 30Kmi on it & NO accidents. Stealerships will be closing out the '17s soon. Mines been paid off for two years and I'm only 43Kmi..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts