Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Frontier SL LWB
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm headed across the country next week in a truck I don't know much about yet (my first Nissan)...
My question: Are there any spare parts I should pick up and bring with?
For example, I have an extra heater inlet coupler for when it blows. I also carry quite a set of tools with me.
Is there anything else that might ruin my roadtrip?

Thanks much!

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm headed across the country next week in a truck I don't know much about yet (my first Nissan)...
For example, I have an extra heater inlet coupler for when it blows. I also carry quite a set of tools with me.

Thanks much!
I made numerous NJ to Florida trips and brought zero extra anything. If your coupler has any hint of failing I’d replace while home and not get stuck on the side of the road.
I find these trucks very reliable and wish you the same with yours.

Clint

·
Registered
2012 Frontier SL LWB
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made numerous NJ to Florida trips and brought zero extra anything. If your coupler has any hint of failing I’d replace while home and not get stuck on the side of the road.
I find these trucks very reliable and wish you the same with yours.

Clint
Thanks Clint!

·
Registered
946 Posts
As stated these trucks are very reliable. You already have a good set of tools. You should be fine (y) For you bring water. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I’ve done a couple of cross country trips on motorcycles and in a car or SUV. My usual road trip supplies include a gallon (each) of coolant and windshield washer fluid, a tool roll or small box, extra headlight and taillight bulbs. A quart of oil and a roll of duct tape, and as a carry over from my OTR days, a set of high viz triangles. Do any necessary maintenance ahead of departure (oil changes, belts or hoses, etc.). Tires properly inflated. Check the spare, jack tools and lug wrench. The usual stuff.

In all the years I’ve traveled I’ve had exactly one flat tire, and one mechanical issue (a thermostat on a Ford Explorer). Chances are you’ll not have an issue, but the Scout motto (be prepared) holds a lot of wisdom for every endeavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2012 Frontier SL LWB
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve done a couple of cross country trips on motorcycles and in a car or SUV. My usual road trip supplies include a gallon (each) of coolant and windshield washer fluid, a tool roll or small box, extra headlight and taillight bulbs. A quart of oil and a roll of duct tape, and as a carry over from my OTR days, a set of high viz triangles. Do any necessary maintenance ahead of departure (oil changes, belts or hoses, etc.). Tires properly inflated. Check the spare, jack tools and lug wrench. The usual stuff.

In all the years I’ve traveled I’ve had exactly one flat tire, and one mechanical issue (a thermostat on a Ford Explorer). Chances are you’ll not have an issue, but the Scout motto (be prepared) holds a lot of wisdom for every endeavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Scout Leader! :) But really, this is all great advice.
I do typically bring a good ******* tool kit that can get me though most fails... I'm more so wondering if there are other parts like the heater inlet that might randomly fail on me?
I only have a couple weeks driving this truck so far and don't know much about the engine yet, but I'm handy, so just want any heads up!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I always carry a couple pair of vise-grips, tie-wraps and bungee cords for that unanticipated collision with something or an exploding tire that requires a little body work stabilization to make it in to civilization. Amazing what a vise grip will hold together.

An extra belt and tensioner behind the seat in both trucks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've made a LOT of cross country trips in a LOT of very questionable vehicles. I suggest a cell phone with an in car charger or a charger pack for it. Then a good road atlas, recommend the Walmart edition of the Rand McNally, it gives you the location of all Walmarts within two miles of the interstates. You can camp overnight in their parking lots unless local city regulations prevent it.

Two gallons of distilled water per person. It can be drank for personal survival as well as used in place of coolant and other things. This is in addition to personal drinking water. Last is one quart of oil, two if you have an oil consumption problem. Lastly, go light just in case you have to "walk away". I usually put everything in a backpack instead of a suitcase. Forget the tools but an in vehicle rechargable LED flashlight is a good idea and maybe a first aid kit.

In my many road trips, 50 years ago, overheating was the most common cause of vehicles on the side of the road. Now it is almost exclusively due to a tire problem. BTW, do not do any maintenance right before the trip. Do oil changes or any other PM at least a week before departure. Check tire pressure just before leaving and add a pound or two if doing a lot of highway driving, it helps the tires run cooler.

·
Registered
2012 Frontier SL LWB
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always carry a couple pair of vise-grips, tie-wraps and bungee cords for that unanticipated collision with something or an exploding tire that requires a little body work stabilization to make it in to civilization. Amazing what a vise grip will hold together.

An extra belt and tensioner behind the seat in both trucks.
Thanks... on the belt and tensioner, is that something you've had to swap? ...or just for a clear head?

·
Registered
2012 Frontier SL LWB
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've made a LOT of cross country trips in a LOT of very questionable vehicles. I suggest a cell phone with an in car charger or a charger pack for it. Then a good road atlas, recommend the Walmart edition of the Rand McNally, it gives you the location of all Walmarts within two miles of the interstates. You can camp overnight in their parking lots unless local city regulations prevent it.

Two gallons of distilled water per person. It can be drank for personal survival as well as used in place of coolant and other things. This is in addition to personal drinking water. Last is one quart of oil, two if you have an oil consumption problem. Lastly, go light just in case you have to "walk away". I usually put everything in a backpack instead of a suitcase. Forget the tools but an in vehicle rechargable LED flashlight is a good idea and maybe a first aid kit.

In my many road trips, 50 years ago, overheating was the most common cause of vehicles on the side of the road. Now it is almost exclusively due to a tire problem. BTW, do not do any maintenance right before the trip. Do oil changes or any other PM at least a week before departure. Check tire pressure just before leaving and add a pound or two if doing a lot of highway driving, it helps the tires run cooler.
Good stuff! I follow many of the same strategies. :)
I particularly like that Walmart atlas idea ...useful if the cell dies!

·
Registered
2012 Frontier SL LWB
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see you have a 2012. I'm at 95k on my 12 and have made quite a few long distance trips with no issues. Wouldn't hesitate to go cross country again now.
Mine's only at 85k so that gives me more confidence, thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Frontier SL LWB
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I see you have a 2012. I'm at 95k on my 12 and have made quite a few long distance trips with no issues. Wouldn't hesitate to go cross country again now.
Have you made trips with any load? I'm gonna be running with a pretty damn full bed...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Have you made trips with any load? I'm gonna be running with a pretty damn full bed...
Decent amount of stuff in the bed and back seats. Obviously check your tire pressure and spare as basketcase mentioned.

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
185 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks much!
Have a mechanic look it over, tell them your taking this trip. Carry some extra oil, maybe some coolant, water (couple gallons ?), road atlas, cell phone and charger. I did 10 RT's NYC to Santa Fe, NM, never had tools, wasnt planning to do roadside repairs, there are mechanics everywhere for that, this is not the Gobi desert you are crossing.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
@keith56 your post 'splains why I have occasionally seen campers parked overnight in a nearby Walmart parking lot. Do you know if that same guideline applies to their Neighborhood Market stores?

And thanks for the tip on their version of the road atlas. I did not know that. (y)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts