Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just purchased a set of polk db6500 components and was wondering if any of you guys would advise against using the exsisting wires for installing the tweeters in the dash? Also, does anybody have any suggestions for placing the crossovers? I was going to put them in the glove box but I think that will end up being harder than anticipated and Crutchfield advises installing them as close to the speakers as possible. I'd like to put them in the door panels but haven't got a clue about how I could fasten them down. Thanks for any advice, I'm a car stereo newbie.

The alpine 9857 went in easy and really kicks ***, the iPod functionality is incredible and I'm thinking about putting up a video for anyone who is looking for iPod integration and might be interested!

Oh, one more question... for the rear speakers (polk db650) what's a better way to connect the wires to the speaker leads than just poking them thru and twisting... because I doubt that was a good idea :lol: I'm sure soldering is the best but I don't have an iron or the know-how! Thanks for reading all this geez!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
bluegrass said:
Hey guys I just purchased a set of polk db6500 components and was wondering if any of you guys would advise against using the exsisting wires for installing the tweeters in the dash? Also, does anybody have any suggestions for placing the crossovers? I was going to put them in the glove box but I think that will end up being harder than anticipated and Crutchfield advises installing them as close to the speakers as possible. I'd like to put them in the door panels but haven't got a clue about how I could fasten them down. Thanks for any advice, I'm a car stereo newbie.

The alpine 9857 went in easy and really kicks ***, the iPod functionality is incredible and I'm thinking about putting up a video for anyone who is looking for iPod integration and might be interested!

Oh, one more question... for the rear speakers (polk db650) what's a better way to connect the wires to the speaker leads than just poking them thru and twisting... because I doubt that was a good idea :lol: I'm sure soldering is the best but I don't have an iron or the know-how! Thanks for reading all this geez!
Hey there, I am a relative newb too, but just went thru this whole process.
I cannot say anything about the tweeter wiring, other than I did run RF tripple braided down from the dash for the tweeters. My Kappas do have skiinnny wires, about the same diameter as the stock wiring. The biggest problem in keeping factory wiring is I don't think it goes to where you will want to place your xover....
I found that inside the kick panel forward of the door, there is a nice 4x6ish space with no padding to install the xovers. I used some industrial velcro to affix it there and ran the wires for the tweets as advised above, using wire crimps to connect the wires. Door speaker wires were run thru the grommet, but that meant that the 3rd RF wire had to be taken out to fit, but still sounds good. I would suggest spending the $30 on wires, you will have more than enough for the whole truck, especiall if you amp. I would use the female terminals available in your generic Radioshck wirining kit (the one with all the little yellow and blue and red male/female and crimps) to attach it to the speaker if not soldering.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As far as I could tell, the stock tweeters and front door speakers are wired in parallel. There is only one +/- pair at the deck to wire in both speakers. That makes it difficult to put in an aftermarket crossover and use the stock wiring at the same time.

I ended up wiring from my deck to the front crossovers (mounted under the dash on each side), then wiring the new tweeters directly to the crossovers with new wires (very easy to route those wires), then wiring back to the stock wiring for the midranges in the doors. It probably would have been better to run new wire into the doors, but that is a huge pain in the *** and I didnt see the point if I wasnt going to amp the fronts. So the stock tweeter wiring harnesses are disconnected under the dash, and I had to clip off the stock midrange wiring harnesses in the doors to wire in my new midranges. You can also buy harnesses for the stock connectors to do this, but I just used the cut and crimp solution ;)

Anyway, just an idea.

- Greg -

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
i recomend using new wire. most components come with new wire anywys, so you might as well use it. i have a kicker resolution comp set in my front doors and factory locations. the drivers side xover i stuck under the dash, against the side wall. there is a large open area and i just used double side 3M tape to keep it in place. on the pass side i put it in behind the glove boxes. i wish i would have taken a pic when i had it all ripped apart. i found it was essential to take the glove boxes out to easily route the wires up to the tweeter location on the passenger side. the driver side was a piece of cake. i used zip ties to keep the pass side xover in place. i wanted to put them behind the door panels, but from what i could tell, there was no room. crutchfield is right about keeping the xovers close to the speaker, but if they are a few feet away it is no biggy. check out my web page for install pics. i have had a few questions as to how i mounted the tweeter in the stock location. i used the flush mount bracket. the material i used is basicly the same stuff you find on the back of tv entertainment centers. that real thin wood looking stuff. it worked out perfect. i got mine a menards. it was only like 3 bucks for a 4x4 piece. hopefully that should help you out. by the way.....i also have the new alpine 9857 and it does kick ***. i have my ipod hooked up and it is awesome. the only thing i miss is being able to access the different genre's of music. i would usually play my music like that. if i felt like listing to a mix of all my rock songs, i could.....or just rap or country or whatever. so far that is my only dislike of the unit. hope everything goes well with your install. check out my setup http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2346479

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
livin_loud said:
i found it was essential to take the glove boxes out to easily route the wires up to the tweeter location on the passenger side.
WHAT? Man, give it a try this way, assuming you buy new wire:
Remove old tweeter
Feed about 4 feet of speaker wire down into hole.
Look up from under dash, mine was dangling.

No need for me to remove glove boxes at all! Maybe it was the stiffness of teh triple braided RockFos wire that added to its ability to squirrel its way down!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I also appreciate you telling me how you mounted those tweets with the flush mount, I wasn't sure how I would do that. I didn't realize that the tweeters had all that wire attached already, I'll just feed it down like some of you did. I only removed the center dash piece to install the head unit, so to be able to get those crossovers installed behind there do you just keep removing screws and prying up plastic to get behind the dash?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
characterzero said:
livin_loud said:
i found it was essential to take the glove boxes out to easily route the wires up to the tweeter location on the passenger side.
Remove old tweeter

No need for me to remove glove boxes at all! Maybe it was the stiffness of teh triple braided RockFos wire that added to its ability to squirrel its way down!
i had them out anyways so i could drill a hole in the top one to feed my ipod wire through. while they were out i ran my rca's to the rear and tweeter wire.......so i guess essential was a piss poor word to use........but it looked like it would have been a pain in the arse with the boxes still in

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
livin_loud said:
characterzero said:
livin_loud said:
Remove old tweeter

i had them out anyways so i could drill a hole in the top one to feed my ipod wire through. while they were out i ran my rca's to the rear and tweeter wire.......so i guess essential was a piss poor word to use........but it looked like it would have been a pain in the arse with the boxes still in
right on, essentially a pain in the *** when I had to re-run the wire today, only b/c I had to disconnect the wire all the way from xover to tweeter for install of a new tweeter (oops, let the wire drop into the hole!)
anyways, here is a pic of where I stashed the xover - a nice fit for the infinity kappas, right in a bracket...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
hey guys, when reinstalling the kickplate/step pad on the floorboard, it looks like all the other body panels have the rubber weatherstripping setting above the plastic interior panels, like at the top of this pic, but I couldnt find a way to get the step panel like that - can yall verify that this is how it should look, from the factory?:

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the pics, that looks like an excellent spot to stash the xovers... if the polks will fit. How do you remove the kick panel?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
bluegrass said:
Thanks for the pics, that looks like an excellent spot to stash the xovers... if the polks will fit. How do you remove the kick panel?
1. Remove small cap that threads onto screw - located towards top of floorboard by outside foot.
2. Remove interior panel that runs along the door jam - the lower one pictured in the 2nd picture- the one people like to step on when getting in the vehicle. Just pull up - 2 white tacks are on the rear end, then it has some other plastic attachments fo the front.
3. Remove the kick panel. Just pull.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally got everything finished up. The xovers fit perfectly in that kick panel, but the polks are a bit larger than those infinities so I had to arrange them differently. I ran new wires to the woofers in the front doors and dropped the wires down from the tweeters and it was as easy as you described! Made mounting brackets for the tweeters from plexi. Everything sounds pretty incredible for less than $600, thanks for the help guys!

Oh, and I can hardly tell the difference in sound quality between CD and 192bit AAC files on my iPod... it's really nice. And unfortunatly that trim piece that is supposed to go around the Alpine 9857 doesn't fit without modification so it still has a little bit of an unfinished look.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
gfronty05 said:
Nope, the pic is right, just like my truck.
Nice, thanks for teh update!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
bluegrass said:
I finally got everything finished up. The xovers fit perfectly in that kick panel, but the polks are a bit larger than those infinities so I had to arrange them differently. I ran new wires to the woofers in the front doors and dropped the wires down from the tweeters and it was as easy as you described! Made mounting brackets for the tweeters from plexi. Everything sounds pretty incredible for less than $600, thanks for the help guys!

Oh, and I can hardly tell the difference in sound quality between CD and 192bit AAC files on my iPod... it's really nice. And unfortunatly that trim piece that is supposed to go around the Alpine 9857 doesn't fit without modification so it still has a little bit of an unfinished look.
Glad to have been of assistance. I knew quitting lurking might be advantageous in one way or another!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
bluegrass said:

i have the same alpine and my trim piece wouldnt work either. i used sand paper to shave mine down. it took a while and my hands where sore when i was done, but it was worth it. it looks much better now.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
livin_loud said:
i have the same alpine and my trim piece wouldnt work either. i used sand paper to shave mine down. it took a while and my hands where sore when i was done, but it was worth it. it looks much better now.
yeah i think i'll have to do the same thing. im just stoked that everything is ready to rock for the memorial weekend road trip! my pops thought this setup was so cool that he went out and had one put in his E430.

·
Registered
2 Posts
get the metra kit. I found one online at audiooutfitter for like 8 bucks, it fits perfect no sanding and has a clean pocket below it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts