Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need your advice...

I'm in the market searching for a 2nd hand Frontier. I don't know if I should get a v6 or 4cyl. I know I want it to be Manual trans. I'm going to be probably putting on 1ton of wt. on the back.

I was originally looking forward to a 4x4 v6 but after reading how much gas it consumes, I want to look at other options. So my question to you guys are: How is a 2wd frontier on the snow? Is the 2.5L the only engine avail. for the 4cyl? If you have any more input that you would like to share, please do so! Thanks very much.

Bill

·
Registered
936 Posts
The 4 cylinder ('05 or later models) has a weight limit in the bed of the truck of 1,000lbs. You said you wanted to put up to 1 ton on the back? Is that towing something or load in the bed? 1 ton = 2220lbs. I have not towed anything with my truck.

Regarding the operation in the snow: I live in Iowa and have had this truck of mine thru two winters. I was able to get around with regular highway General Grabber tires that came standard on the truck when purchased. I added some sandbags to the rear bed to help on traction. I felt the truck did well in snow driving considering it was rear wheel drive (again, I do not tow anything so handling when towing could be completely different than when not towing something). I also purchased some snow chains for the rear tires and carry those behind my front seat just in case I have to travel in deep snow or very icy conditions.

There is quite a difference between v6 and 4 cylinder in MPGs. For my 1st 9,600 miles of driving I have averaged 23 mpg on regular fuel (non-ethanol). I feel power is very adequate (again, I have no towing experience here).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an '07 with 4cyl & 5spd. I have had about 1500 pounds in the back (bulk mulch/compost) and had no issues. I keep about 180 lbs of tube sand in the back during winter and have driven in small amounts of snow (less than 3") using the stock tires. For deeper snow I have a Jeep with 4wd. It isnt the quickest vehicle I have ever had, but adequate for my purpose as a homeowner for general use and garden hauling.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
if you get the 4cyl get the manual trans as well. ive talked to auto owners and they say calling it gutless is an understatement.

i had about 800lbs in my 08 4cyl 5spd today and it hauled it easy. i couldnt even feel it, until i turned on the a/c. then i could tell there was a load on the truck. it could handle more, but 2200 is pushing it. id advise a trailer and the v6 model, or a full size titan.

cant comment on snow. the mileage is 20-22ish depending on your driving. its not fast, but it has enough go once you learn the shift points.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
1 ton is A LOT of weight for any Frontier, assuming it's going in the bed? The XEs max bed capacity is 1000 lbs and the SE and other V6 models is about 1200-1400 lbs. I wouldn't put 2k lbs in any Fronty's bed without feeling real bad for the leaf springs.

If you are looking to have 1 ton of stuff or tools in the bed constantly, I'd look at a full size.

If you are talking about towing 1 ton, then the XE will be fine for occasional tows. I and other 05+ XE owners can vouch for it's light towing capability. If you are looking to tow 1 ton daily or frequently, then look at the SE or other V6 models!

Feel free to ask we are all happy to answer!

As for snow, just throw in a few sand bags if your bed is empty, this works for real. I've not had a problem in snowy unplowed streets.

·
Registered
225 Posts
**** the QR25. If you see it, RUN THE **** AWAY. Don't buy one. The Sentra SE-R's have had SERIOUS problems with bad o-rings, swallowing butterfly screws (does the qr25 in the frontier have the butterfly valves? Probably not...), and just plain premature death. The QR is a terrible motor.

I don't know if the problems with the car also apply here. I'd imagine that the intake is completely different so no butterfly screws. But in any case, that thing has left a sour taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I was wondering the same things when I was looking for a truck. During the test drive the 4 cyl. just seemed a little under powered. I felt like I would have to be pushing it harder with the 4 cy. and with the V6, I can just sort of lope along. It depends on what you want your truck to do.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I can address the snow traction issue. They go very well in the snow (mind you, nothing like a 4WD -- night and day difference). I'm glad I gambled and got the 2WD because in reality I hardly ever used 4WD and was a waste. Now that I think about it, I did get stuck once. I backed into a snow bank and got high-centered. I had no shovel so I dug it out with a cheap ice scrapper which much to my amazement did the job.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hey guys, need your advice...

I'm in the market searching for a 2nd hand Frontier. I don't know if I should get a v6 or 4cyl. I know I want it to be Manual trans. I'm going to be probably putting on 1ton of wt. on the back.

I was originally looking forward to a 4x4 v6 but after reading how much gas it consumes, I want to look at other options. So my question to you guys are: How is a 2wd frontier on the snow? Is the 2.5L the only engine avail. for the 4cyl? If you have any more input that you would like to share, please do so! Thanks very much.

Bill
If your going to be hauling 1 ton (2,000 lbs) on a constant basis, you would be better off getting a full sized truck, like a Titan. All your going to do with a 4 or 6cyl is overwork the engines and drivetrains. Also take into consideration, braking performance. Your going to have to stop at some point (safely).

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is a good discussion of 4 cyl engine failure on edmunds (altima engine failure) but I do not remember anyone either here or on edmunds talking about the issue with frontiers. Since its the same engine I don't know why the problem occured in the Altimas (may have been fixed with a change in cat converter) and not in the Frontier

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Contrary to noggin's post, I have nothing but good things to say about the QR25 in the Frontier. It purrrs along just fine, never had a problem with it, and I have a first year model!

If you also take note, most, if not all of the engine problems you hear about with the 2nd gen Frontys have to do with the V6.

As said elsewhere on this forum, if you take care of your Fronty, it will take care of you.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
**** the QR25. If you see it, RUN THE **** AWAY. Don't buy one. The Sentra SE-R's have had SERIOUS problems with bad o-rings, swallowing butterfly screws (does the qr25 in the frontier have the butterfly valves? Probably not...), and just plain premature death. The QR is a terrible motor.

I don't know if the problems with the car also apply here. I'd imagine that the intake is completely different so no butterfly screws. But in any case, that thing has left a sour taste in my mouth.
Get out of here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, thanks guys for all the replies. I'm getting closer to purchasing my first Fronty. I apologize for not describing by what I meant by one ton. I meant that I will be towing one ton, but not every day...maybe twice a month. What I will be constantly doing is loading the bed up with 1,000lbs of stuff.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hey, thanks guys for all the replies. I'm getting closer to purchasing my first Fronty. I apologize for not describing by what I meant by one ton. I meant that I will be towing one ton, but not every day...maybe twice a month. What I will be constantly doing is loading the bed up with 1,000lbs of stuff.
Then you may wish to look at a Frontier with the VQ40 engine... heavier suspension, bigger tranny and rear end to handle the activities you describe.

Let us know when you find a ride that suits you!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts