Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my old Mitsubishi sport I used to time it by ear. You know, turn it up 'till you get a little spark knock, then turn it back a little. Truck always ran in top form.

The Fronty has a knock sensor. If I disconnect the sensor, temporarly, will I still be able to do the same thing? Will the computer override me?

The procedure I was considering is: disconnect the knock sensor, tap the timing up until I hear a little spark knock under load, tap the timing back a little, disconnect the battery and short the leads together (to drain the caps), reconnect the knock sensor, and reconnect the battery.

Or: same as above, but instead of manually tapping the timing back, when I reach the peak (spark knock), reconnect the knock sensor and letting that do it.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
62 Posts
TwoBills said:
On my old Mitsubishi sport I used to time it by ear. You know, turn it up 'till you get a little spark knock, then turn it back a little. Truck always ran in top form.

The Fronty has a knock sensor. If I disconnect the sensor, temporarly, will I still be able to do the same thing? Will the computer override me?

The procedure I was considering is: disconnect the knock sensor, tap the timing up until I hear a little spark knock under load, tap the timing back a little, disconnect the battery and short the leads together (to drain the caps), reconnect the knock sensor, and reconnect the battery.

Or: same as above, but instead of manually tapping the timing back, when I reach the peak (spark knock), reconnect the knock sensor and letting that do it.

What do you guys think?
I don't think your truck should be out of timing, especailly since it is so new. I don't think that i would try to manually adjust it. with the comupter system and all the sensors it is constantly monitored. If it becomes out of adjustment and can't be electronicly adjusted it will give you a CEL.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you missed my point, Johnson. That's easy to do with my threads. I have a tenancy to wonder.

This truck isn't new (80K) and it's not "out of timing". I was just thinking of advancing the timing to "max". By that I mean to just before I get detination.

I know the computer will retard the timing if it detects knock, but it doesn't advance it until it hears knock. We've always timed an engine by ear.Never owned a timing light. I was just wonderig if the computer is smart enough to know if I manually advanced it.

Hah, now that I think about it, how would it know I didn't have a light? That's the only real difference. Guess I better read the chapter on timing in the DSM.

The only drawback, that I can see, is the knock sensor. That sucker's going to "hear" the knock before I do, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to disconnect it, temporarly. Once I find maximum advance I can reconnect the sensor and It'll do it's job if I inadvertently get some weak gas.

Just looking for a couple of free ponies. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you have a V6 and you find the wires to disconnect it let me know. I dont want to pull the intake to replace my knock sensor when it goes bad. Its bad enough the thing is $150+

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a DSM, so I'll check that out. Hah, that'll be a first for me: actually reading the manual before I attempt something. I usually use greasy hands to bookmark my pages. I'll let you know, Johnny.

·
Registered
48 Posts
keep us posted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts