Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question - but has anyone done this?

I don't see an adjustment nut on the brake line like my old Pathfinder does? Do you have to open up the center console to get to an adjuster?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You can fine tune the adjustment of the parking brake using the 10mm nut under the cupholders. Make sure the actual shoes are adjusted correctly inside the rear rotors as well though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I'm thinking one of my shoes might be coated in axle oil - which may not be helping things.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
You can fine tune the adjustment of the parking brake using the 10mm nut under the cupholders. Make sure the actual shoes are adjusted correctly inside the rear rotors as well though.
have you done this? is there an adjusting wheel like on typical drum brake systems?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have not heard of people adjusting the cable to get more pull cause the brakes are only going to pull as much as they are allowed by the drum itself. I would jack up the back of the truck and spin the wheel. You dont want it to be hard to spin but also it should not keep on spinning freely. A little bit of resistence it good to have. Adjust behind the drum as stated above with a standard screw driver.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I tried to adjust the nut under the center console but I was only able to tighten it 1/4 inch which didn't help. After trying that I crawled under the truck to find and adjustment. I'm defintetly going to have to try this screwdriver behind the drum. Does anybody know if it's an easy adjustment behind the drum?

·
Registered
704 Posts
you mean the star adjuster,click it up a few notches.i did the same thing with the nut under the console , it still moves when under a load

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Maybe it's me, but with my old car the star wheel confused me because moving it one way on the right tightened it and moving it the same direction on the other wheel loosened it. I always ended up removing the hat to see which was which. With our trucks which have a drum within the hat, we must remove the caliper before the hat can be removed. I have not yet done this work on my truck.

·
Premium Member
13,443 Posts
On a related note...I'm a bit freaked out by the fact that my truck rolls back an inch or two on a hill before the parking brake holds it. I expressed my concern to the dealer and they adjusted the parking brake for me, but it made absolutely no difference.

My Pontiac is also a manual, but it doesn't move even a millimeter when I set the parking brake on a steep hill. Every other vehicle I've owned has been an automatic.

Is it normal for these trucks to roll back like this when you park them on a hill?

/end threadjack

·
Registered
113 Posts
I totally failed my inspection two days ago for this parking brake buisiness. I can get it in drive and pull the brake handle and the brake doesn't even attempt to hold the truck in place. Saturday is going to be spent adjusting that and putting in all new spark plugs and gaskets. Might try to find time to do a little dove hunting if I can get a valid sticker on my windsheild. haha. I'll post what I learn about this sometime Saturday night or sometime on Sunday.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Fist thing to do is get the rear tires off and remove the caliper assembly and rotor. Look at the shoes and see if theyre in good shape(no cracks, missing pieces not covered in gear oil) If all looks good, spray them dow with tsome brake cleaner and let dry. If the rotor came off the shoes really easy, theyare most likely out of adjustment. First go under the cup holders and loosen the nut to the half way point. Go back tothe rear of the truck and turn the star wheel(you will have to "lift" up on a little tab that contacts the wheel) make note as to which way makes the shoes expand. Now put the rotor only back on and put alug nut on a stud to hold the rotor toghtly on the hub. There is a rubber grommet to pop out on the rotor hat. Spin the rotor until it lines up with the star wheel. Adjust the wheel a few clicks and rotate the rotor. There should be a very minimal amount of drag, then deadjust it one to two notches. Do this to the other side a well. Put all the brakes back together and out the wheels on. Pull up the parking brake handle and take not of the amount of clicks it takes until it stops. Use the nut under the cup holders to adjust the ebrake lever until it is about 5 clicks till its tight and try that. That should hold the truck perfectly, even in gear on level ground. I keep my ebrake lever at 3 clicks, but thats my preference.

Reactions: jan

·
Registered
113 Posts
That sounds like a solid explanation. I'll try this first thing saturday morning. Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I took off my back wheels and wheel spacers. I tightened the parking brake so that it is at full tension at 6 clicks. The truck still rolls backwards with ease on a semi steep incline without holding at all. Has anyone learned of a know issue with our trucks parking brake or has anyone found a way to truly tighten the brake? It also will drive with minimal acceration from at dead stop with the parking brake on.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I took off my back wheels and wheel spacers. I tightened the parking brake so that it is at full tension at 6 clicks. The truck still rolls backwards with ease on a semi steep incline without holding at all. Has anyone learned of a know issue with our trucks parking brake or has anyone found a way to truly tighten the brake? It also will drive with minimal acceration from at dead stop with the parking brake on.
I did the same exact thing and have the same exact problem. I red somewhere today that i may need to replace the cables under my truck. I hope not as that seems like a pretty simple but major project. Meaning i assume i will have to remove the rear wheels, calipers, rotors, pull apart mu consul and hope all the rusty nuts and bolts come undone on the underside of my truck without snapping!!

****ing Nissan, what is with the **** e-break, leaking rear seals, bad rear ends, recalled this and recalled that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Red, thanks for your good explanation. I'm stuck at this point though.....

First go under the cup holders and loosen the nut to the half way point.
I pulled out the 'small cups insert' but can't see how to get the main cupholder out.

There are 4 screws (one at each 'corner') of the entire 3-foot-long center console. Does "go under the cup holders" mean "remove the 4 screws and lift the center console"?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
After setting the parking brake, try pumping the foot brake once or twice. This might prevent roll back when parking on a hill. The emergency brake only engages the rear shoe, so it works better on a forward roll. The self-adjusters activate when you're going in reverse. So, if the shoes are anywhere near proper adjustment, try pumping the brake while going in reverse. Might spin them up a little. Oops, this is for generation 1.

·
Registered
144 Posts
After setting the parking brake, try pumping the foot brake once or twice........ Oops, this is for generation 1.
Yup..... on gen 2 frontier (2005-13) the parking brake and foot brake are completely separate mechanisms. The only way to increast parking power is to remain in the truck with your foot on the brake. Also there's no leading shoe, fwd&reverse are the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts