Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a spin on filter for their transmission? I added one to my '01 Ford Explorer and it made a world of difference in the operation. I put it in the line from the transmission before the cooler after reading somewhere that it was best to filter at warmest point. I swapped out the filter at every third oil change and would fill the filter with new fluid before screwing it back on. I changed the transmission fluid at the normal interval and was very surprised the first time. The fluid came out looking like new. I unscrewed the filter and dumped the fluid and found all the missing gunk. I had no issues with years of use and miles of service.

Not knowing the Nissan product my concern with adding is if the transmission fluid pump will be okay with the extra work. Thoughts? Comment? Experiences?

CJ JAX

·
Registered
176 Posts
CJ, I come at this from diesel truck perspective so...I wouldn't hesitate to put an external transmission filter on your truck. The added resistance of a hydraulic filter is so low as to be negligible. I have added external transmission filter on all my small diesel trucks and have one on my motor coach transmission. I'd have one on my Frontier, but I got a 6 -speed.

I agree with the point of attachment, before the cooler.

·
Premium Member
12,046 Posts
i have 170k on my trans and i honestly beat the poop out of it. i dont see why you would want one.
the screen although only single layered catches a lot of ****.

and i may just be talking out of my *** here but i dont think that manual trans has any kind of cooler at all and are sealed because all shifting is done manually, no tq converter so no fluid pressure.. and you generally use ****ing gear oil lol, i dont think i would be stuffing that through any ****ing filter lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah showing how little I know of the product. I take it the six speed is a manual. As for why to add on the automatic....just extra protection. The screen will grab the larger pieces but over time the smaller particles can build up and gum up the solenoids. The filter is a cheap insurance policy, low cost, easy install, easy change and grabs a lot of particulate matter. I would have to admit seeing the mileage posts, it does seem to be a sturdy transmission and probably overkill but coming from an aerospace background over engineering is a way of life. ;)

CJ Jax

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ah showing how little I know of the product. I take it the six speed is a manual. As for why to add on the automatic....just extra protection. The screen will grab the larger pieces but over time the smaller particles can build up and gum up the solenoids. The filter is a cheap insurance policy, low cost, easy install, easy change and grabs a lot of particulate matter. I would have to admit seeing the mileage posts, it does seem to be a sturdy transmission and probably overkill but coming from an aerospace background over engineering is a way of life. ;)

CJ Jax
By the time the internal filter catches anything, the tranny will be in pieces. I know a guy who was (retired after 30 years) a transmission engineer for a major auto company. He laughs about internal filters on automatic transmissions. I'm with you CJ, external filter and external coolant filter.

BTW, filter heads are cheap at heavy truck parts houses (Fleetpride, etc).

·
Premium Member
12,046 Posts
170k and im romping 24/7, im laughing at you guys right back.

not saying its bad to add one, i just dont see the solid argument for one on this particular trans and application.
say you are constantly in water crossings with mud and sand? sure.

daily/weekend offroad? lol nah.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just now getting around to this and looking for a convenient mounting location. Where did you put yours Passprotection?

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
Considering in the last 12 years this type of mod isn't even remotely mentioned for our trucks (unlike the diff breather mod) I don't see why all of a sudden now it's going to "make a world of difference".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Considering in the last 12 years this type of mod isn't even remotely mentioned for our trucks (unlike the diff breather mod) I don't see why all of a sudden now it's going to "make a world of difference".
Guess I'm a little different then most. I have had several vehicles that I kept (oh and drove) for over twenty years. Tend to rack up 100's of thousands of miles. Unnecessary for folks who don't put 40,000 or 50,000 miles a year on the road probably. But I have enough experience having done it with other vehicles that I know it will help extend the life of a transmission. More practical for me than 3" lift kits, light bars, and big tires. We all aim for what makes the vehicle work for us.

CJ JAX

·
Super Moderator
19,656 Posts
A coworker of mine had a spin on filter on his F250 E40D transmission. I don't now if it extended the life of his trans or not but he did replace it after it went out. He replaced it with a Monster trans instead of the standard OEM version. I'm coming up on 151,000 miles on my 06 LE and the trans still shifts like new. I have done a fluid exchange 3 times since buying the truck. Using BG products Universal ATF that they sell in a kit at my Nissan dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
Guess I'm a little different then most. I have had several vehicles that I kept (oh and drove) for over twenty years. Tend to rack up 100's of thousands of miles. Unnecessary for folks who don't put 40,000 or 50,000 miles a year on the road probably. But I have enough experience having done it with other vehicles that I know it will help extend the life of a transmission. More practical for me than 3" lift kits, light bars, and big tires. We all aim for what makes the vehicle work for us.

CJ JAX
You must have misunderstood my reply - and sorry, but it has nothing to do with your personal experience or history... it has to do with the truck. What I was saying is that if the spin-on transmission filter isn't a common thing done to the current generation Frontier (which has been the same mechanically since 2005) then it's probably not something of importance compared to other common issues that have been discovered in the last 12 years i.e. the "radiator shake" or the diff breather filter mod.

But if you know it will help extend the life of a transmission, then just do it. It's your truck, if you're clocking in 40-50k a year then you of all people might benefit from it. More than 3" lift kits, light bars, and big tires.

Don't try to get all personal, you asked for thought and opinions ::wink::

Reactions: zuni

·
Premium Member
12,046 Posts
my thought and opinion always seems to be taken way harsher than i think it should be lol.

i say the same **** in person, im just less threatening in person i guess hahahaha.

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
my thought and opinion always seems to be taken way harsher than i think it should be lol.

i say the same **** in person, im just less threatening in person i guess hahahaha.
You know how it is. We've been here long enough I think. haha ::smile::

1 - 17 of 17 Posts