Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all 2015 Pro 4X with Rockford system. Is it possible to add a front view camera to the system? I was thinking along the lines on almost hacking into the rear camera input but not sure if its possible. Not really interested in changing head units. Any advice, tricks, tips? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
If you want to keep the stock HU, then you will need to splice into the input for the rear cam & have it on a switch, and splice into the reverse gear selector and have It on a switch. The front cam can be either powered when you switch to the front cam or always on. With relays you can have 1 switch that will both select the front cam and trigger the Reverse gear selector.

Are you handy with wiring & soldering or have a friend that is?

It won't be super difficult, but not plug&play either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes pretty handy with wires, soldering. Just need some sort of diagram to go by. Basically so the rear camera works the same while truck is in reverse, but then flip a switch and turn it on while in motion. Then wiring the front camera to turn on only when I slip the switch.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Wouldn't a front camera be distracting? Just asking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will mainly be using the front cam to check obstacles/water depth while off-roading. Mostly when I am off road it is in wildlife management areas for hunting, or hiking, and in Florida a trail may be fine one day, then the next covered in water. Not going to be used on paved roads.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You may wish to consider a dashcam, one where the camera and monitor are separate units. This one is available with a small remote camera (about the size of an oversize chapstick) which is available waterproof and could be mounted in the grill area - Street Guardian SGZC12RC. I have one of these with the camera mounted on the back window of my camper shell. The monitor fits nicely in the niche ahead of the gearshift, or sometimes I put it in the little dugout on the dashboard; Works great for me. Normally the screen is blank although the camera is recording. A tap on the monitor will activate the display. I see them available on Amazon for $200.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts