Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if making the frontier/Xterra hybrid leaf pack will increase load capacity? My AAL kit from prg has already started flattening after about 8 months of use.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Depends on how you do it.

I helped a friend of mine with his and we got about 4" of lift. We used as many of the two packs that we could without cutting any of the leafs. It did help with squat when he tows his cargo trailer.

If you want to figure it out with actual numbers this is the calculator we used to know how many to use:
Leaf Spring Calculator | Suspension Maxx

Plug in all the values and it will give you an estimated spring rate in lb/in.
Note that since the xterra and Frontier leafs have a different arch, you'll need to consider the preload added to each xterra leaf. Don't include the overload since that only comes in once its near bottomed. Its also a tapered leaf which this calculator does not do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on how you do it.

I helped a friend of mine with his and we got about 4" of lift. We used as many of the two packs that we could without cutting any of the leafs. It did help with squat when he tows his cargo trailer.

If you want to figure it out with actual numbers this is the calculator we used to know how many to use:
Leaf Spring Calculator | Suspension Maxx
Thanks! I'll need to give my springs a measure and see what I come up with. I'm hoping to add about 2-300lbs of extra capacity while still have a smooth ride. All the gear I carry for camping ends up about 900lbs. I think that's still under the recommended weight, but it seems to be flattening my springs.

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
i did it on mine a few years ago with xterra springs. i think i got 4" as well. its been so long i honestly dont remember 100%.
it was very very bouncy for the first couple weeks after.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Does anyone know if making the frontier/Xterra hybrid leaf pack will increase load capacity? My AAL kit from prg has already started flattening after about 8 months of use.

Did you get the 1-leaf or 2-leaf kit from PRG? I was about to order the 2-leaf kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you get the 1-leaf or 2-leaf kit from PRG? I was about to order the 2-leaf kit.

The deaver 2" 2-leaf kit. It did give me a bit of lift, not 2". But I also did shackles. With the AAL and shackles at highest setting I'm probably sitting at 3-4"

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
The deaver 2" 2-leaf kit. It did give me a bit of lift, not 2". But I also did shackles. With the AAL and shackles at highest setting I'm probably sitting at 3-4"

So if you had it to do over again what route would you go to get 2" or more of lift in the rear?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if you had it to do over again what route would you go to get 2" or more of lift in the rear?

Custom springs or the hybrid pack if it ends up adding carrying capacity. If you aren't looking to carry extra weight, then the AAL and shackles would be fine.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,358 Posts
Pay a spring shop to build you a quality heavy duty spring set with the height of lift you want, then add air bags for weight capacity. Adding air bags has been the best mod I have done to this truck.

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
Pay a spring shop to build you a quality heavy duty spring set with the height of lift you want, then add air bags for weight capacity. Adding air bags has been the best mod I have done to this truck.
X2. This is the approach I am going to go with once I get to replacing my rear leaves. Springs for height and ride when empty and bags to level the truck back out when I load it up with gear.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts

Right now I don't tow heavy loads but I have about 100 lbs. of toolbox and contents at all times and when I add camping gear, my truck is close to level. I'm going to try the PRG Deaver 2-leaf AAL if I can't find any reasonably priced xterra springs. I don't have the budget for custom springs and plan on going higher than 2" eventually.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
X2. This is the approach I am going to go with once I get to replacing my rear leaves. Springs for height and ride when empty and bags to level the truck back out when I load it up with gear.
I like the idea of bags. But where we go, the thought of damaging bags would always be present. I am installing a compressor for lockers and air tools, so the system would already be there.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Right now I don't tow heavy loads but I have about 100 lbs. of toolbox and contents at all times and when I add camping gear, my truck is close to level. I'm going to try the PRG Deaver 2-leaf AAL if I can't find any reasonably priced xterra springs. I don't have the budget for custom springs and plan on going higher than 2" eventually.

Ask around on the xterra forums for the springs, most are just trying to get rid of them as they suck on Xterras. Even high mileage springs are fine for this application. The set we used was free from a local xterra member cleaning out his garage. Deals can be had!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So I just heard back from Bill at Alcan in regards to a custom set of springs. From the info I gave him, he rated the springs at 800# over stock. Does that seem like a lot? That makes my carrying capacity near 1700# correct? I do carry a lot of gear with me, but I didn't think that much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts