Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving my 2016 Frontier for a few months, I decided that a rear camera was a necessity with a canopy. I read the forum postings about making new harnesses and found something easier. For those of you looking to do the same, go with the Axxess AX-NIS-ADDCAM1 HARNESS. It's a $14 part that works and is one hell of a lot easier than building your own. I used it with a Rydeen Mini camera plus home made mount and only had to splice one wire (#50) in the harness beyond plugging in the RCA connector. That wire runs from the reverse light to the stereo through the wiring supplied with the camera. After running the feed and mounting the camera, it fired right up instantly when I put it in reverse. Total price was $60. The only thing I might do differently if I were to do it over is to go with a license plate frame style camera since there is very little clearance between the tailgate and camera when the gate is down.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
What did you do to wire #50?
And this is on the non-NAV XM radio? the one pictured on the bottom?
I screwed with mine on the same harness a few months ago and couldn't get it to work.
also got ant pics of the completed harness or video of the radio with the camera coming on?

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Where did you run it from? I mean is it from a spot that comes on when in reverse?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Where did you run it from? I mean is it from a spot that comes on when in reverse?

I read it as "from the reverse light utilizing the camera wiring harness"

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I saw that, but I asked where he ran it from, not where the diagram stated, but thank you for pointing out what it says
The cameras don't always have a wire run from them, mine doesn't.

I actually didn't have to run a power wire to trigger my mirror at all it is auto sensing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wire runs directly from the reverse light to pin #50 as shown in the illustration. I believe that there may be other locations closer to the radio to pick up the reverse 12v if you don't already have the wire in place.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
That is what I was wondering I tapped into the reverse light to put my camera in for my back up Mirror I was just wondering if you found a new spot

On that harness do you have pictures of where you tapped into the 50 did you cut and splice into it and if so I tried doing that a couple of months ago but I was unsuccessful I am not sure if I read the diagram correctly if you have a picture of where you tapped into it it would help greatly

·
Registered
544 Posts
Got me thinking about tossing in a switch so that I can turn the camera on and keep it on when I want to. I do a lot with trailers and having the camera turn on and off as I get lined up on the ball can be a little annoying at times...

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
A 3 way switch would be good
On/off/intermittent with a relay

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On that harness do you have pictures of where you tapped into the 50 did you cut and splice into it and if so I tried doing that a couple of months ago but I was unsuccessful I am not sure if I read the diagram correctly if you have a picture of where you tapped into it it would help greatly
Sorry. No pics. I justed used the illustration to identify the pin I needed.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Ok, thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts
A 3 way switch would be good
On/off/intermittent with a relay

No need to complex it up with a relay unless you really wanted too as with a "keyed hot" and a SPDT toggle switch in position 1 the camera would work as per normal and in position 2 the camera would simply stay on as long as the truck is running...

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Well I did the install today but I only get Quick Flicker from the reverse camera

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well I did the install today but I only get Quick Flicker from the reverse camera
I just ordered the same harness and a plate mounted camera, haven;t received them yet. Did you splice into all the suggested wires, or just pin 50 and connect the AV cable?

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I just soldered into pin #50 and it actually comes on when you run from the reverse lights

It is the third wire, from the right ( green)

I have actually ordered a new reverse camera because for some reason he won but I am it's not working well so the other one should be here tomorrow but for now this is what it looks like and this is on the stock radio, as you can see when I put it into reverse the radio actually recognizes that a back up camera would be connected

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I ordered this one, hope it works well

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I assume that the Esky camera mounts behind the license plate and comes over the top. Check the clearance on your tailgate in the down position before you open it quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
It does, it has plenty of clearance, the picture is deceiving as far as the height of the camera, I put one on my wife's Altima

1 - 20 of 49 Posts