Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aftermarket rear tire carrier on my 07 truck. I was debating adding a swing out tire carrier to the bumper. If the tire itself is mounted in the carrier which is mounted to the bumper, if I mount the locking piece into the tailgate, would I do any damage to the tailgate? Would it be able to support it?
Any advice and opinions are appreciated!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is the bumper aftermarket?

Otherwise, be careful mounting to a tailgate. The tire and swing arm will probably weigh about 90lbs. There is a cantilever type of loading that will occur that will put major stress on your mounts and on the tailgate's stock latches. It was never designed to support this kind of loading.

I built a tire carrier that I had to significantly redesign due to this cantilever problem. It had no attachment to the tailgate. It had a massive hinge with two bearings and it had a latch on the other side. The bearings allowed minimal vertical motion bouncing up and down over bumps which then turned into more as time wore on. Eventually the bearings were destroyed. There was far too great of a cantilever load. No side to side motion, but a lot of up and down hanging out over the rear bumper.

I've since designed a fix for it with a third support of 1/4" thick steel tubing.

You should ask around on the fabrication forum. There are a few guys, whistler and Elovias who are always posting. The latter makes his own bumpers as well and can probably lend you some advice

·
Registered
397 Posts
...just the ppl I was going to suggest the OP PM...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it is an actual after market bumper. If I knew how to add a picture I would lol. I do know the tailgate itself is pretty flimsy and not designed to hold any weight, however I thought that perhaps it would be stable enough as a latching point of the bumper itself held the weight of the rim and tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts