Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a King Cab '04 Frontier with the original CY140 radio and four speakers (one in each door, plus one each in the columns on either side of the front windshield).

We're planning to replace the radio with a single-DIN current model (Bluetooth, HD radio, front aux input jack for Spotify etc). Also planning to replace the two speakers in the doors.

I'm also thinking that a power amp might help the sound. Nothing fancy -- no subwoofer, don't want to announce my presence coming down the street, just looking for some reasonably punchy, clean sound. So considering something like maybe a $50-$100-ish power amp.

Questions:

-- For those who have gone a similar path, is adding a power amp worth it? Or do current-day head units drive a simple pair of speakers like those in the truck's doors adequately?

-- If we do add a power amp, what's the best mounting location?

-- And if we're going to go to that extent, would it also be a good idea to replace the speaker wires running between the stereo and the speakers in the doors? How involved does a project like that get?

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1. Depends on how loud you want it. A decent amp will help your speakers sound a lot better than stock. Get the head unit, try it out and see if it is loud enough for you.
2. Under passenger seat.
3. You could if you were running big power, but it doesn't sound like you will. I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a huge job, but does take some finesse.
Your best bet for increasing sound quality is to seal off the door cavity as if it were a sub box. It will immediately improve your low frequency sound without adding a single watt.

Good luck and have fun!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts